News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 556     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Toronto Police Service Reformation

Actually, the lead investigator of homicide is pointing fingers: Police incident with alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur subject of internal probe
The McArthur case and TPS bungling is shown in the latest season of Catching Killers on Netflix.

Last edited:
I'm one of the victims in this article.

Police were on scene five minutes after my call. Regular dispatch, major crime and a guy from a specialized car jacking unit arrived; five cars and six officers. I was surprised how fast and how many there were.

Anyone agitating for defunding the police is out to lunch.
I trust you are unscathed. Some people try to be heroes but remember, at the end of the day, it's just property. Although I do have to give this guy props. Match anyone?

Yes, I'm unharmed, thank you. And indeed, it's just a car. Could have been killed or grievously injured, which is even worse. I was raised to sacrifice the phone, wallet, cash, etc to save your health and life.

I'm sorry to hear of your being victimized, but happy to hear your fine, in the grand scheme of things.

Hopefully the persons responsible will be arrested, and convicted,

I’m alright with budget increases for the TPS, but I want to see changes and results. Start by getting more police out of their cars and off their bicycles and onto their feet outside of paid duty work. Walk a beat, keeping the peace at sidewalk level and deter troublemakers and property crime. Enforce the Safe Streets Act and enforce traffic violations other than speeding. And can we get rid of the paramilitary black uniforms and black/grey cars? What was wrong with the light blue of old?

And can we get rid of the paramilitary black uniforms and black/grey cars? What was wrong with the light blue of old?
I've always been curious regarding the issue of colour. How are black shirt (dark blue actually) "paramilitary"? None our military has ever worn a similar colour unless you are trying to reference something that went on in other countries. I can't speak for TPS but I know the OPP moved away from light blue after the shooting of a member. Studies after statements from accused showed that the light blue was highly visible in wide range of light conditions (it's an unnatural colour in nature) and was a member safety issue. Maybe they could go to white shirts.

Grey cars? Meh. It's corporate livery. Maybe they could go to Battenberg markings like the UK (some Ontario services are triallng them).

The grey cars can be quite difficult to spot as a pedestrian. If there's an emergency on the street, people might not even notice that there's a police officer in their range of vision to turn to for help.

If there is an emergency, spinning around to look for a cop isn't the best use of your time.

The grey cars can be quite difficult to spot as a pedestrian.
That's the intention, to be difficult to spot. Which is what you want if your police are all about catching people in the act rather than deterrence and community safety.
If there is an emergency, spinning around to look for a cop isn't the best use of your time.
Especially in this city. The next time you're out and about look to see if you notice a single TPS officer on patrol. If you're lucky one might be driving by, but on foot? Forget about it.

Sure it is. Assuming you're in a position of safety, call 911. As you're on the phone, approach the officer you spotted. Now, you potentially have two resources at your disposal instead of one, which could be more effective.

Sure it is. Assuming you're in a position of safety, call 911. As you're on the phone, approach the officer you spotted. Now, you potentially have two resources at your disposal instead of one, which could be more effective.

If you have the sense to call and look, you'll do just fine spotting a grey car with the words police on it and a lightbar on top.

If you have the sense to call and look, you'll do just fine spotting a grey car with the words police on it and a lightbar on top.

Not necessarily. They sometimes seem to blend into the background in busy areas because of the colour scheme. The Toronto Police received a lot of complaints and decided to change the colour and design, which was chosen with "no deep thought".

The new lightbars are clear now. They give off a more visible flash when activated, but they have no colour while turned off. Another way they've gone more inconspicuous. In some other cities to deal with the blank LED lights, they may have a partial red and blue solid glow at all times, to be better seen.

Back