Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Cities like Hong Kong have limited space for Urban sprawl, hence high rises to maximize the limited area. Toronto does not have this barrier, but government policy to build up instead of out to prevent urban sprawl is a McGoofy thing. They have limited the size of building lots, not just in the city, but in the small town I now live in. There is no reason a lot in a county bigger than Toronto with a population of 63000 people should be limited to building lots 50 by 90 but they are now the norm. The Liberal Green Belt is going to make the limited available space in the Golden Horseshoe more elevated than is believable.
Yeah I guess we should just keep building and spreading out, that's what this region needs!

It's good to know that single people downtown can just be thrown into any old condo pit. They don't need food at family oriented grocery stores or sunlight/air from those pesky parks. Now that's cost efficient.

Living in a bustling metropolis isn't everyone's cup of tea, but others love it. Thrown into a pit? No one's holding a gun to people's heads. People move into these places willingly and eagerly. Toronto does need to better develop its inventory of downtown parks, green spaces, public squares to meet the coming density. With density comes demand for amenities, but that has a way of taking care of itself. One feeds the other.

Secondly, the idea that we all want to be showered in sunlight all day long is just bizarre. I didn't move here for the sky or the sun, I moved here for the skyscraper canyons, crowded streets, smells, noise, fun, excitement, diversity, culture, etc.

Shadow concerns? I actually find it odd that there is such a thing because I seek it out. It's the sun I find myself trying to avoid.

Last edited:
Can't get over how awesome the tallest tower is. Getting a Bow and Shanghai Tower (for the crown) vibe to it, it looks amazing. I definitely dig this the most out of all the other recent super-tall/near supertall proposals.
I think it would be great if this (the tallest tower) was made into twin tower and placed on the oxford place site at their 320m height.
It's also cool seeing the (potential/fantasy?) development placeholders directly east of the site along the gardiner in the render.
Only gripe is how The Toronto Star building looks with the addition. Obviously better than what we have now, but one of the most awkward looking buildings. (doesn't even hide the fact that it is an addition)

*a helicopter pad atop the tallest tower wouldn't look so bad either :) (although wouldn't make sense)

Queen Street West between Spadina and Dufferin was absolutely clogged with pedestrians today. There was also nonstop flow of streetcars and constant slow moving traffic.

Average height along Queen Street West? 3 storeys.

Height does not equal density.

Anyone who's lived in Toronto more than 6 months knows that Queen West gets swamped as soon as spring hits. 95% of the people on that street do not live on Queen West so your analogy between density and 3 storey buildings is ridiculous.

Queen Street West between Spadina and Dufferin was absolutely clogged with pedestrians today. There was also nonstop flow of streetcars and constant slow moving traffic.

Average height along Queen Street West? 3 storeys.

Height does not equal density.

last time I checked, density usually means how many people actually live there.
You would use any excuse to prove 3 storey houses are best for Toronto.

Last edited:
the idea that we all want to be showered in sunlight all day long is just bizarre. I didn't move here for the sky or the sun, I moved here for the skyscraper canyons, crowded streets, smells, noise, fun, excitement, diversity, culture, etc.

Shadow concerns? I actually find it odd that there is such a thing because I seek it out. It's the sun I find myself trying to avoid.

the past weekend I was at NPS, what I thought was, I wish there were some shadows so that I don't need to be exposed to the burning sun! It gets very uncomfortable 5 minutes after you stand there. Between May and Sept, I always walk on the side of the street where there is continuous shadow of buildings.

I also play the tennis often in public parks. The most popular courts are those with shadow of trees.

yet whether casting a shadow on NPS is some sort of bible rule when it comes to proposing any building nearby. how bizarre. Not enough skin cancer, I suppose?

As to winter times, let's not kid ourselves, few people will be basking in the sun when it is -10C, let there be shadow or not.

There is a time and a place for tall buildings. For those who think otherwise, well, perhaps one would be inclined to say the same about what, Tiananmen Square, the Zocalo, Place de la Concorde, St. Peter's Square, Trafalgar Square, Potsdamer Platz, etc.? It's the civic heart of the city, if we can't make accomodations for that, what does it tell us about our commitment to the public realm as a whole?

AoD

Yes, west of Keele does have poor living standards. The low-end neighbourhoods of High Park, Bloor West Village, Swansea, Baby Point, Old Mill, Kingsway...the list goes on and on of places you really don't want to visit at night...or even in the day for that matter.

Don't forget the horrible urban slums north of Eglinton: Lawrence Park, Hogg's Hollow, Bridle Path, Willowdale... I mean, it's downright disgusting, the conditions that people around here live in. Why, some houses have less than 4 bathrooms!

Don't forget the horrible urban slums north of Eglinton: Lawrence Park, Hogg's Hollow, Bridle Path, Willowdale... I mean, it's downright disgusting, the conditions that people around here live in. Why, some houses have less than 4 bathrooms!

to be honest, the size of your house and number of bathrooms don't translated into quality of life. The dream of owning a giant house with 4 vacant bedrooms collecting dust is pathetic.
Plus you can have all the houses you described above for under 500K in Houston or Dallas.
bridle path is as dull as it gets. in the end, life is still pathetic if the car doesn't start or you get stuck on the DVP for an hour.

If you think the paving over of some of the best farmland in Canada is a desirable result, and if lengthy commutes by increasingly distant suburbanites, commutes fueled as they doubtless would be by fossil fuels, is also an acceptable consequence, by all means avoid any steps to minimize urban sprawl.

This. Food and water security is something we should not take for granted. Once you build over farmland, it becomes very difficult and costly to revert it back.

Cities like Hong Kong have limited space for Urban sprawl, hence high rises to maximize the limited area. Toronto does not have this barrier, but government policy to build up instead of out to prevent urban sprawl is a McGoofy thing. They have limited the size of building lots, not just in the city, but in the small town I now live in. There is no reason a lot in a county bigger than Toronto with a population of 63000 people should be limited to building lots 50 by 90 but they are now the norm. The Liberal Green Belt is going to make the limited available space in the Golden Horseshoe more elevated than is believable.

You are on a website called Urban Toronto yet you hate the idea of urbanity and endorse suburbanity?!?!?! The suburbs are the largest contributers to toxic air and water and the reason farm land is becoming more scarce. I like the idea of dense urban living, but you know I live in Collingwood, Simcoe county. And I understand (don't agree with you though) your point of view, I am 18 and don't own my very own vehicle and I'm unique for it (unheard of here), People here hate height, a 6 story building was cancelled due to a protest for it being to tall and for it being "Toronto Density". So instead the land is going to be used to build a new store...

Anyways my point is that I full heartedly support extensive density and the continuing presence of our wildlife and farmland. I don't like single family homes, nor do I like the idea of them (who needs 4 bedrooms when you have no or few children?).

You are on a website called Urban Toronto yet you hate the idea of urbanity and endorse suburbanity?!?!?! The suburbs are the largest contributers to toxic air and water and the reason farm land is becoming more scarce.

Suburbs are a type of urban area, not rural. Don't knock someone just because they prefer one built form over another. As for farmland becoming scarce, that's a myth. There's a huge amount of prime farmland outside the GTA under little or no development pressure. Take a drive through western Ontario between Windsor and Owen Sound.

Suburbs are urban, but less urban than dense cities. And preferring dense urbanity to sparse urbanity (suburbs) is not just an arbitrary matter of preference; suburbs are bad for the world for many reasons (being wasteful, sprawling over valuable farm land, necessitate car use, alienate people, etc.), and thus the suburban way of life should be avoided if possible. It's not a meaningless preference, like if one’s favourite colour is red or blue; liking suburbs has real social consequences, just like liking clothing brands that are made in sweatshops or liking McDonald's.

You are on a website called Urban Toronto yet you hate the idea of urbanity and endorse suburbanity?!?!?! The suburbs are the largest contributers to toxic air and water and the reason farm land is becoming more scarce. I like the idea of dense urban living, but you know I live in Collingwood, Simcoe county. And I understand (don't agree with you though) your point of view, I am 18 and don't own my very own vehicle and I'm unique for it (unheard of here), People here hate height, a 6 story building was cancelled due to a protest for it being to tall and for it being "Toronto Density". So instead the land is going to be used to build a new store...

Anyways my point is that I full heartedly support extensive density and the continuing presence of our wildlife and farmland. I don't like single family homes, nor do I like the idea of them (who needs 4 bedrooms when you have no or few children?).
I'm not against Urbanity as you call it by any means. I now live in a small town because i had to move for work. There are no highrises here, and never will be in my lifetime. I've pondered the idea of selling everything and moving to highrise in the city to rid myself of all this snowshovelling, lawncutting business. I'm exactly the opposite as far as the city goes. Toronto doesn't have a limited area to expand, but the government policy to build up has resulted in the building boom in Toronto, and the result is a wonderful thing to see. Suburban homes will still be built at a rate that people don't like, but a city that grows at the rate Toronto does, you won't get everyone to move into a condo. The rising cost of a detached home will limit construction of single family homes, but not stop them.
There a hundreds of acres of farmland around here that sit fallow year after year. There doesn't appear to be any shortage of farmland an hour from the city. It just appears that way when your are sitting on the 401 in a traffic jam.

Back