Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

I had previously given you the benefit of the doubt, assuming that you weren't basing your entire post on A) a parenthesis including the emphasis-invoking qualifier "particularly", and B) an entirely arbitrary construct of architectural criticism based on the interpretation of structures from one vantage point, but I guess I was wrong to extend that courtesy.

I was just giving my perspective on what I saw as a narrow topic, not gonna have a ridiculous fight about it. I certainly wasn't saying Toronto's architecture has no merit or that flashy buildings are all that matter.

I do quite like the revised designs for One Yonge (with the exception of the first phase). Hariri Pontarini has put up some great buildings, so I am hopeful it will be spectacular.

I don't think this problem is unique to Toronto - it's a symptom of the times. Also our crop of bank offices just happens to be the ones getting hidden by the current building boom.

As to the Phase 2 95s tower - it didn't feel like it met the street "right" (beyond an urbanistically well within expectations sort of way). The podium typology can use a rethink - something that draws out the uniqueness of the tower.

AoD

Last edited:
I was just giving my perspective on what I saw as a narrow topic, not gonna have a ridiculous fight about it. I certainly wasn't saying Toronto's architecture has no merit or that flashy buildings are all that matter.

I do quite like the revised designs for One Yonge (with the exception of the first phase). Hariri Pontarini has put up some great buildings, so I am hopeful it will be spectacular.

And I wouldn't have responded as I did if you had communicated this degree of nuance and moderation in your original post.

To interject, the other cities people came up with as counter-examples, are cities which have had different towers pop up during different architectural periods. Most of Toronto's towers have risen in recent decades. Our older bank towers, are being obscured from the waterfront perspective by the recent condo boom along the waterfront.

Toronto does not have the architectural style variety of other cities, yet. Our rise to fame is just beginning, while other cities have a century head start.

Sorry, but anyone looking at the Toronto skyline from the islands and declaring that "They all look the same" doesn't have powerful enough critical faculties to be concerned about. Not everything that everyone says is worth remembering.

I remembered what she said because I think the same thing. As a city we seem obsessed with building higher and higher so that we can get a "supertall" tower just like the big kids. A little more variety in shape and colour would do a lot to relieve the monotony of our skyline, especially as seen from the islands. Perhaps, as a city, we need more visionary faculties when it comes to architecture. Perhaps, as an individual, you need more humility. At any rate, not everything that everyone says is worth remembering, so I'm willing to just forget your churlish statement. No harm done!

Where did I put that multi-post about architectural variety in this city... It usually features a long, long list of buildings constructed in the city over the last decade that feature unique and varied architecture. Trust me, Toronto isn't bad.

I remembered what she said because I think the same thing. As a city we seem obsessed with building higher and higher so that we can get a "supertall" tower just like the big kids. A little more variety in shape and colour would do a lot to relieve the monotony of our skyline, especially as seen from the islands. Perhaps, as a city, we need more visionary faculties when it comes to architecture. Perhaps, as an individual, you need more humility. At any rate, not everything that everyone says is worth remembering, so I'm willing to just forget your churlish statement. No harm done!
If I were listening to country music, there's some likelihood that I might tell whomever I'm with that it all sounds the same to me. That would be because I'm not a regular listener and therefore don't have an ear for it. Should country music change because I cannot distinguish one desperate tale of southern-fried woe from the next? No, it shouldn't, and people who enjoy country music shouldn't take exception to my complaints about it.

My criticism of country music would just be another useless bit of info uttered in a world of mostly useless info. Without any background on the person who declared that "They all look the same" when peering at the Toronto skyline, that's pretty useless info too. Sorry, but it is.

We have some great buildings in this city. But I have to agree that the sea of blue/green towers built along the waterfront in the last 10 years has not improved our skyline from the islands. It's bigger and wider certainly but I'd say it's a big let down from the classic skyline built in the 70's and 80's that's now slowly being hidden. City Place or BMO/Scotia/Commerce/TD/RY? No contest.

should country music change because I cannot distinguish one desperate tale of southern-fried woe from the next?

Yes it should. More twang please and less rock (but I digress).

I dunno... there's a weird kind of tyranny of using the islands as some sort of alpha perspective for seeing the city. It's fine as far as it goes - in a faintly tacky, picture postcard kinda way - but there's a lot of great vantage points and I'd hate to play favourites. Seeing the skyline from Broadview between the Danforth and Gerrard, for example. Or the view of the city on an exceptionally clear day as seen from Vineland or Grimsby. Or seeing it from the end of Polson Pier. Or from the shoreline at Mimico. Or from Bayview headed south as you go down the hill from Moore Avenue. The list goes on.

I dunno... there's a weird kind of tyranny of using the islands as some sort of alpha perspective for seeing the city. It's fine as far as it goes - in a faintly tacky, picture postcard kinda way - but there's a lot of great vantage points and I'd hate to play favourites. Seeing the skyline from Broadview between the Danforth and Gerrard, for example. Or the view of the city on an exceptionally clear day as seen from Vineland or Grimsby. Or seeing it from the end of Polson Pier. Or from the shoreline at Mimico. Or from Bayview headed south as you go down the hill from Moore Avenue. The list goes on.
Once the Portlands are developed, I bet it will become the new favorite.

"It's vanilla... It looks like something they would build in Canada."
- Banksy

This development is right in "SouthCore" which is rapidly becoming the skyline image outsiders identify as Toronto - everything there already does have a "sameness" to it - something that seems to have been avoided in other young prosperous cities that have also had building booms in recent years (Melbourne, Sydney, Singapore, Miami come to mind...). It would be nice to see something radically different - punched windows? Coloured glass? some formal irregularity? .... All of the above?

I, for one, would love to see a few Robert AM Stern historicist towers in this town - they'd be SO REFRESHING in this growing forest of glass and spandrel.

If I were listening to country music, there's some likelihood that I might tell whomever I'm with that it all sounds the same to me. That would be because I'm not a regular listener and therefore don't have an ear for it. Should country music change because I cannot distinguish one desperate tale of southern-fried woe from the next? No, it shouldn't, and people who enjoy country music shouldn't take exception to my complaints about it.

My criticism of country music would just be another useless bit of info uttered in a world of mostly useless info. Without any background on the person who declared that "They all look the same" when peering at the Toronto skyline, that's pretty useless info too. Sorry, but it is.

Well perhaps we can track down the lady who made that comment and check her academic credentials and see if they meet our stringent standards. Is she entitled to make a comment about the Toronto skyline?

Of course any person who makes a comment about the quality of country music must have at least a masters degree in peasant culture in order that their comment can be taken seriously. I suggest a rigorous system of exams which will provide each of us with the necessary qualifications to comment on architecture and country music (e.g., the much sought-after PhD specializing in tailgate parties).

Your hubris negates your comments.

Anyway, it's a sunny day out and I have better things to do than engage in tiresome arguments with a cultural dilettante.

Have a nice day!

Back