Toronto Pinewood Toronto Studios | 10m | 1s | Pinewood Group | HOK

A more genuine example: the rear of Zeidler's Princess Margaret Hospital. (Built that way because of heritage issues re the old Hydro HQ.)

I think that slightly overhangs the sidewalk, but surely not Murray Street.

This is a new rendering. I'm pretty sure the cantilever is new.

Sorry MetroMan, Phunky's right. That cantilever has been there since the the renders were first posted on August 8th. (See post 193).

Thanks for the correction, I think I didn't notice it was cantilevered because the previous photo was darker.

We're getting quite a nice collection of Alsop's in Toronto. OCAD, WestSide Lofts (and its sales office) and now FilmPort.

Hopefully we get something like his Manchester Cloud built on the central waterfront.

Does anybody know exactly where FilmPort is going? Google Maps example?

EDIT: The boundaries of the FilmPort complex are Don Roadway, Bouchette, Lakeshore and the shipping channel (Map)

Does anybody know where this particular building is going?

Silver screen going green

http://www.thestar.com/article/287989

New studio complex pushing film industry to adopt eco ideas
Dec 22, 2007 04:30 AM
JOANNA SMITH
STAFF REPORTER
Ken Ferguson likes to describe what he sees before him as what he imagines it will one day be.

Stepping around scraps of metal and wood, he moves to the edge of the floor and peers through falling snow at the industrial wasteland lining the shore of Lake Ontario.

"It's really a great view from the top," Ferguson says. "You get a sense of what you would see on the waterfront."

He is standing in an unfinished building that will one day be a production office on the site of Filmport, a gargantuan new film studio complex in the former port lands scheduled to open in March. When that happens, if Filmport president Ferguson has his way, the complex will be a leader in environmental sustainability for an industry known for the extraordinary size of its carbon footprint.

"We've got an opportunity with a brand new complex to be able to do things right from the ground up," Ferguson said.

Filmport is a founding member of Green Screen, a Toronto film industry initiative recently approved for a grant of $250,000 from the Ontario Media Development Corporation in conjunction with the provincial ministry of culture.

The initiative will put together a best-practices guide to help film productions of all sizes learn how to reduce their carbon footprints as well as develop a certification process to recognize environmentally friendly projects.

"The film industry is really beginning to turn around," he said. "It's been a fairly wasteful industry."

A 2006 UCLA study concluded the film and television industry is second only to the aerospace sector in contributing to greenhouse gases in metropolitan Los Angeles.

The study highlights the transient and short-lived nature of industry projects as a major factor in the amount of waste it produces. Ferguson, too, stresses this point.

"I've been going around for years saying: `Guys, close the doors. Guys, turn off your engines. Guys, why are you throwing all this food away?'" he says. "And they'd say, `We don't have time, we don't have time, we don't have time. This is just kind of how we do things.'"

In the office trailer on the construction site, Ferguson unfurls the blueprints for Filmport and talks about how he wants to do things from now on.

Bio-swales filled with reeds and grasses will filter stormwater runoff before it flows into the ship channel, while a separate system will collect clean water from the rooftops and send it straight into the sewer system.

Air conditioners and other mechanical systems cannot sit on sound stage roofs because they create noise, so the complex will include about three acres of flat, empty roof space Filmport hopes to turn into solar panel farms.

The sound stages themselves will be well insulated, with Styrofoam stuffed between two layers of concrete and interior walls lined with soundproof insulation.

Ferguson hopes to push the green idea beyond the complex and into productions, so that food from craft services is composted and crews separate wood, metal and other materials into recycling bins.

"This is a little bit beyond our control, but we certainly are trying to work with the productions so when they take apart a set, it doesn't just go all into a landfill," he said.

FILMPORT-%20Signature%20building.jpg

FILMPORT wins its first major tenant
Deluxe Services; Post-production facility to relocate to Port Lands
Matthew Liebenberg, National Post Published: Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Toronto's struggling film industry got a boost yesterday as the new FILMPORT development announced its first major agreement with a tenant for the sprawling production facility under development in the Toronto Port Lands.

The Deluxe Entertainment Services Group will relocate its post-production operations to an 80,000-square-foot building at the main gate.

Paul Bronfman, chief executive of the Comweb Group, is excited about the deal. Last year Comweb, a Toronto-based film and television production services group, became a shareholder in the FILMPORT venture.

"Deluxe is a premier postproduction company to have in here," Mr. Bronfman said. "It means we're able to offer customers a one-stop shopping facility."

FILMPORT president Ken Ferguson said it is a case of good timing.

"Deluxe was looking at their facilities and decided it's time to move to new facilities," he said. "It's a very happy meeting of minds."

The new building, designed by Sweeny Sterling Finlayson &Co. Architects, will allow Deluxe to provide post-production services a stone's throw from seven large sound stages.

Deluxe's involvement with film projects include Marvel Entertainment's The Incredible Hulk, the Saw movies, the award-winning Eastern Promises by David Cronenberg and Jeremy Podeswa's Fugitive Pieces.

Dan McLellan, the executive vice-president and general manager for Deluxe's post-production operations in Toronto, said the company was looking for a larger, quieter site to replace its downtown facility at 424 Adelaide St.

"We've liked for some time what FILMPORT's been developing," he said. "The industry has been desperate for sound stages."

Mr. McLellan said the relocation will provide an additional 30,000-square-feet to its post-production operations. Construction will start this spring and is expected to take two years.

"We have performed exceptionally well over the past three to four years," he said. "We have abundant faith in Toronto's film industry."

Mr. Bronfman acknowledges the strong dollar and U.S. writers' strike provide challenges to Toronto's film industry.

"But our industry offers more than a cheap location. There's a depth and breadth of facilities and knowledge."

Despite recent weather delays, Mr. Ferguson said FILMPORT's first phase -- including the largest purpose-built sound stage in North America -- will be operational in the spring. In the meantime, lease discussions continue for a multi-tenant building for equipment suppliers and service companies.

Some nice news and a nice building (which demonstates that an 'office' building does not have to look like a typical building in a Markham industrial park).

Some nice news and a nice building (which demonstates that an 'office' building does not have to look like a typical building in a Markham industrial park).

I agree. Filmport could end up being quite an addition to the city.

I actually like this quite a bit better than Diamond's project symphony. Why does the city make things so difficult?

Yep - it's a welcome addition to the area. I'm really looking forward to seeing Alsop's office block rise...

So, if I understand this correctly, this building is in addition to all the other construction that is presently happening on the Filmport site and will ultimately be joined by Alsop's building whenever it is built (that is if its still on the boards?)

Just a quick note: I heard yesterday, that Alsop has closed his Toronto studio and will no longer be actively pursuing projects here. -!

p5

I heard yesterday, that Alsop has closed his Toronto studio and will no longer be actively pursuing projects here.

Do we have confirmation of this, or is it just a rumor? If it is true, that is indeed unfortunate news!

Well, if he leaves with OCAD and FilmPort, he has already made a great contribution to changing mindsets in Toronto.

I hope that his FilmPort project is still on.

Back