Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

Has a similar feeling to several recent local projects, including Quadrangle's 130 Bloor West addition. And is there a tip of the hat to Concrete Toronto brutalist antecedents such as 77 Elm, the Medical Sciences building and even Jorgenson Hall maybe?

That's incredible! I love it. It feels like a high-rise version of Montreal's Habitat '67. I would love something like that to be constructed in concrete. In order for some of the city's 50's - 70's buildings to really shine, I think the "Toronto Style" really needs to reflect some of that era. I think it's doing a fine job in reflecting some of the modernist lines but I would love to see a concrete revival in some of the downtown archtiecture.

habitat-67.jpg

It feels like a high-rise version of Montreal's Habitat '67.

Ugh, what a gawd awful ugly sight of a building too. Such a mess. I'm all for getting away from ugly & boring all-glass "office tower look-a-like" condos like CityPlace but not if they're monstrosities like these two places.

I'm not a fan of this design. I like that they are trying something different and the idea in principle, but it looks too out of control

Love the design, but I'm not convinced the location is perfect as it sort of just juts out from behind Queen St.

The rest of Richmond will gradually be replaced by 30s towers anyway. Developers already have proposals for several sites along that strip, so one tallish building won't look out of place for long.

Love the design, but I'm not convinced the location is perfect as it sort of just juts out from behind Queen St.

With Queen West wanting to be a hip and exciting spot to shop (multinational retailers rolling in or not), isn't this the perfect spot for a daring tower to jut out? Methinks it is.

I take it you guys both live in Woodbridge and don't leave the city much?

Because certain designs do not appeal to me means I live in Woodbridge? WTF are you suggesting? If I like how a single family dwelling looks does that mean I live in Mississauga or Oakville? My preliminary opinion is based on a photo of a rendering, not even the rendering itself, from one particular angle. There are too many lines all over the place with no apparent pattern making it look like a Jenga tower.

And oh yeah, I live in Scarborough and I go all over the GTA and beyond when funds are sufficient

I take it you guys both live in Woodbridge and don't leave the city much?

You assume a great deal.

I've lived in the King & Spadina neighbourhood for the past two years, lived near Yonge & Eglinton for eleven years prior to that and spent my first 20 years in Scarborough. Prior to living down here I would frequently come downtown to do whatever. I've worked downtown for 13 of 15 years. I *HATE* the suburbs and all the GTA satellite cities around Toronto. They all look the same and you have to drive around to realistically get anywhere. *BLEAH*

I was originally going to get into building architecture for a career but ultimately decided on the IT field but I still have a keen interest in building architecture. One type of design I rarely like is modern. I've rarely seen a modern building that I find visually appealing (I'm primarily talking about home dwellings but there are numerous commercial butt ugly modern buildings out there too, the Crystal ROM addition being one of the latest.)

So take your "they must be from the 'burbs because they disagree with me" attitude and shove it!

I'd be willing to bet more people would say that condo render and that Montreal building are ugly than not.

I think eventually Queen West (Bathurst to U) will feel like Robson St in Vancouver: lowrise, with a wall of highrise condos rising on the next street over--Richmond St and south, in Toronto.

The tower is a sign of confidence in the Teeple firm. I expect to see more Teeple, and less Crap. It's not stunning--I think more colourful materials would help, or even red brick. But, for downtown Toronto, it's another step up the ladder towards greatness.

Back