Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

The owners of that corner heritage building should light up its facade and spire. What a beautiful urban scene. Never mind the naysayers.
Agreed. Contact them and try to persuade them to do so. That's the only chance it might happen. Btw, who owns that building. It's one of the most underrated in the city.

That will cost 20-50k, who will pay for that?

I don't know how much it costs, but it is a good idea. That building is a prime piece of real estate, and the rents are going to increase. Having an instantly recognizable building is an asset that you want to keep visible--especially when it turns dark at 5PM in the winter.

qP8GdOD.jpg

YWtqlSR.jpg

OJ2rK4y.jpg

UhU6J5c.jpg

t9TT8Ty.jpg

zdHA46r.jpg

ZpXY20D.jpg

Earlier today, my girlfriend pointed out something about the cladding while we were on our way to grab our late morning coffee.

In the first picture, the cladding is not aligned on the fourth column from the left.

In the second picture, the last four columns on the right look bad.

In the third picture, some of them have visible bumps on them.

Looks like poor cladding workmanship ... or maybe they are part of the building uniqueness.

Cladding 2.jpg

Cladding 1.jpg
View attachment 55976 View attachment 55976
Cladding 3.jpg

Attachments

• Cladding 1.jpg
    Cladding 1.jpg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 975
  • Cladding 3.jpg
    Cladding 3.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 926
  • Cladding 2.jpg
    Cladding 2.jpg
    930.4 KB · Views: 946
Holy shit.

That is beyond terrible. I'm not much of an expert, but at least to my layman's eye - that has to be some of the worst cladding installation I've ever seen.
Will the building be able to hold the dev to account on that? Brutal.

I am standing at street level looking at this spot as I type this and I cannot see any dents. The thinner panels could maybe fit together a bit more uniformly but I would not have noticed if I wasn't specifically looking for issues. Maybe it's more noticeable under certain light though?

What do you people expect? You act like you are shocked. If you think the outside of these buildings contains shoddy worksmanship, you would be surprised what happens inside. Many of these new buildings are already falling apart within years of being built. Everything from window issues to plumbing. This has become the norm - build it super fast and super cheap. Welcome to the condo world in Toronto.

Defects are defects regardless of whether or not you can see them from the street. But the fact is that many buildings have cladding/interior finish issues while under construction. It's up to the developer to have the contractors correct any issues before the project is finished.

Well, I am glad it got built, poor workmanship be damned, we've gotten the architecture. The remediation can always happen later.

AoD

Well, I am glad it got built, poor workmanship be damned, we've gotten the architecture. The remediation can always happen later.

AoD

I pity the people who bought the units. Who pays for the remediation later ? Certainly not you or me. The buyers will suffer by paying higher condo fees down the line.

If you don't have a vested interest, then how can one expect you to care ?

Let's say if this were your house or condo complex, would you care ? Sure you would.

BTW, isn't this forum supposed to inform the public and not whether people give a damn or not ?

Last edited:
Are those types of defects found generally on the building or might it just be in that section identified by the pictures? Perhaps that was the part used for "training" installers? Whatever the case, it looks really awful. I hope the City inspectors can do something about that(!)

I really like this building and hope the builder will remediate.

Wow, getting harsh really fast...

Odds are that this is on a deficiency list somewhere, seeing as the cladding is still not complete one would think that the developer would be pushing for completing the building envelope, then the push for deficiency correction.

Regardless, still love the look of this building.

Back