Toronto Peter and Adelaide | 152.39m | 47s | Graywood | BBB

I love it
This one is good.
man i wish Toronto had more proposals like this one. that podium looks nice.
I believe it's going to be restored and connected to the development...i like everything about this project:cool:
Carlyle Condos just north of it will use some good materials too based on the zoning. The three building stretch of this one, Carlyle, and QRC will be pretty solid!
This looks fantastic. I really hope it ends up like this.

Are you all serious? Has anyone looked at the SPA elevations? This garbage isn't going to be much different than the crap Concorde is throwing up at the base of Bathurst.

Everything inset from the precast above New York Furs? Spandrel. Half height spandrel on nearly every floor. Corner spandrel up the entire tower. If people think this looks 'fantastic', I'd hate to see what you think looks bad...

UTers don't look at SPA elevations. They look at renderings, believe developers are doing Toronto a solid ("Just this one time, I know it! It looks great!") and then go through a cycle of depression when they see the built reality and are reminded that marketing renderings are full of lies big and small.

Once you've experienced a Toronto developer's response to the idea of a tower that isn't plastered in window wall and spandrel, it's enough to make you realize that things won't change anytime soon. (Spoiler alert: it's unthinkable to them, and they will do everything in their power to ensure that their tower is window wall (and therefore, according to energy regs., spandrel).

Why do you have to troll peoples opinions so much? This forum is increasingly becoming less enjoyable. Unless you hate something you get attacked.
Not cool

Last edited:
Sadly, the truth is unique or good looking buildings, almost certainly mean higher construction cost and higher selling price (sometimes impractical layout too). Like KING Toronto.
These high markup products often don't do well in local market, just like KING, most units are sold oversea and use for parking money.

City however, love unique looking building, it makes them look good.

I personally prefer living in a mediocre looking building, but with exceptional interior design, mostly large units, and practical layout.

UTers don't look at SPA elevations. They look at renderings, believe developers are doing Toronto a solid ("Just this one time, I know it! It looks great!") and then go through a cycle of depression when they see the built reality and are reminded that marketing renderings are full of lies big and small.

Once you've experienced a Toronto developer's response to the idea of a tower that isn't plastered in window wall and spandrel, it's enough to make you realize that things won't change anytime soon. (Spoiler alert: it's unthinkable to them, and they will do everything in their power to ensure that their tower is window wall (and therefore, according to energy regs., spandrel).
Alright, I'll bite.

I haven't looked at the SPA elevations. In fact, I don't even know what those are and I don't really care. I don't work in development, design or architecture. I come to UT to distract myself from the frustrations of doing slow theoretical work to look at cool pictures of buildings, sweet excavations and cool construction equipment.

UTers don't look at SPA elevations.

I have to admit I am ignorant about a lot of technical terms so I googled “SPA elevations”. I got a bunch of ads for places with massages, mud baths, pedicures and aromatherapy. I’m guessing, just guessing, that this may not be what you are talking about.

What looks like glass here

OweXhc3.jpg

is actually spandrel

0llLYIV.jpg

I have to admit I am ignorant about a lot of technical terms so I googled “SPA elevations”. I got a bunch of ads for places with massages, mud baths, pedicures and aromatherapy. I’m guessing, just guessing, that this may not be what you are talking about.
SPA means "site plan approval" which is a step every development goes through before breaking ground. (Among others -- you'll often hear people talk about OPA, which means "official plan amendment" and rezoning, both of which are higher level, usually come before a developer applies for site plan approval, and usually feature preliminary architectural designs.) SPA is the point at which the city looks at built form, materials, layout, loading and servicing, lighting and landscaping, and that kind of thing. Developers submit a package of documents for city planners to review, one of which is a set of architectural plans. Those plans will typically include renderings, floor plans, and elevation diagrams. The elevations show the building from the side, and are labelled with the materials used for the facades. That's the source of truth for what the city approves and often more truthful than the architectural renderings.

If you ever want to look at the the SPA elevations for a development, you can go through the city's Application Information Centre, where you can search for developments by address and view the documents submitted to the city by developers. Look for "architectural plans" in the list of documents. There's a wealth of information there, much of it pretty accessible to the layperson. I recommend it!

Back