Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

Any plans that Via Rail will have their services connect at the transit hub? Now that the Kitchener corridor is being studied to connect with the transit hub, it's possible it could connect southwestern Ontario to the hub now that the high-speed rail proposal is dead.

The GTAA has indicated that there would be platforms for intercity rail (VIA), it would be up to VIA to decide if running services there would be profitable.

I'm still skeptical that it is it worthwhile to divert the railway corridor to the Airport, where is there even room to put it? Going east from the terminals I don't see a possible corridor other than elevated over the 409. It would be better off with a shuttle from the station at Woodbine to the Terminals. As well it can't be worthwhile to knock down all three parking garages, and moving the check in and baggage claim halls out of the existing terminals would leave that space underutilized.

I'm still skeptical that it is it worthwhile to divert the railway corridor to the Airport, where is there even room to put it? Going east from the terminals I don't see a possible corridor other than elevated over the 409. It would be better off with a shuttle from the station at Woodbine to the Terminals. As well it can't be worthwhile to knock down all three parking garages, and moving the check in and baggage claim halls out of the existing terminals would leave that space underutilized.
iirc the GTAA envisions a tunneled Kitchener line corridor to divert to the airport. Abs you mentioned above ground alignments don’t really exist. I also think some kind of people mover (or even the Finch and/or eglinton LRTs) or rail spur (ie the UPX spur) could connect the Go line to the airport.

Also, in the GTAA renderings they show the check in and baggage space repurposed as gates, with a new apron built where all the highway ramps are currently. I’m not sure if this is worth it either as it means demolishing pretty much everything thats currently there.

Last edited:
Also, in the GTAA renderings they show the check in and baggage space repurposed as gates, with a new apron built where all the highway ramps are currently. I’m not sure if this is worth it either as it means demolishing pretty much everything thats currently there

As well, in Terminal 1 at least, the check in and baggage space has got to be easily 10x the space needed for passenger gate servicing. just what else is there that that space could be used for?

As well, in Terminal 1 at least, the check in and baggage space has got to be easily 10x the space needed for passenger gate servicing. just what else is there that that space could be used for?
That’s very true. The only other use I can think of is some sort of shopping mall type thing lol.

iirc the GTAA envisions a tunneled Kitchener line corridor to divert to the airport.

I believe that is the intent, yes. The eastern approach will be technically challenging (under highways, buildings, etc), but the western approach will mostly be underneath airport lands, and could conceivably be done with cut and cover.

I believe that is the intent, yes. The eastern approach will be technically challenging (under highways, buildings, etc), but the western approach will mostly be underneath airport lands, and could conceivably be done with cut and cover.
So that means at the actual station, GO/VIA platforms will be located underground with Eglinton and Finch platforms on the surface/elevated.

Would need electric trains to be located underground at or near Pearson.

AFAIK, electrification of Kitchener line is still intended. Metrolinx didn't have their ducks all lined up for the big tender (needs to break it up into ~$4B chunks, and finish a few more EAs for missed elements).

Last edited:
AFAIK, electrification of Kitchener line is still intended. Metrolinx didn't have their ducks all lined up for the big tender (needs to break it up into ~$4B chunks, and finish a few more EAs for missed elements).
What about VIA? Theyre probably still going to be running diesel trains.

They run diesel-electric trains. The diesel generates their own electricity that moves the train, the diesel is not moving the trains.

See link.

They have used diesel-electric trains as an emergency electric power source during blackouts.

Frankly, I doubt if VIA will be able to compete on that corridor.

If GO runs hourly 160km/h+ limited stop service to Kitchener, VIA is going to struggle for ridership in that segment and will likely abandon it.

They can run extra service via LakeShore/Hamilton to London and split beyond that to Windsor/Sarnia. It's a shorter route to London and a smoother trip.

Last edited:
Frankly, I doubt if VIA will be able to compete on that corridor.

If GO runs hourly 160km/h+ limited stop service to Kitchener, VIA is going to struggle for ridership in that segment and will likely abandon it.

They can run extra service via LakeShore/Hamilton to London and split beyond that to Windsor/Sarnia. It's a shorter route to London and a smoother trip.

For VIA to pull out, GO would need to provide service to Stratford and St. Mary’s. The former being more important. I doubt that these towns would be left high and dry. Also don’t forget maintaining London-Kitchener service. Long term, I think that this corridor (London, Kitchener, Toronto) will be run by GO, with VIA focusing on the southern routes.

Back