Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
That is because the airlines use the unique airport codes rather than the airport names or the City names. Of course, travelers screw up and we have all heard of people arriving in Sydney (NS) and wondering how best to reach the Opera House,
There is opera in Nova Scotia...

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I suppose 'YYZ' has entered into popular lexicon at some level, similar to LAX, but it has little to do with accuracy or clarity.
The instrumental song YYZ by Rush is inspired by the airport code. They did it because seeing YYZ on their bags meant they were on their way home from being on the road. The opening part of the song is YYZ in morse code. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YYZ_(Rush_song)

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Any plans that Via Rail will have their services connect at the transit hub? Now that the Kitchener corridor is being studied to connect with the transit hub, it's possible it could connect southwestern Ontario to the hub now that the high-speed rail proposal is dead.

Woodbridge_Heights

Member Bio
Reaction score
Any plans that Via Rail will have their services connect at the transit hub? Now that the Kitchener corridor is being studied to connect with the transit hub, it's possible it could connect southwestern Ontario to the hub now that the high-speed rail proposal is dead.
The GTAA has indicated that there would be platforms for intercity rail (VIA), it would be up to VIA to decide if running services there would be profitable.

Voltz

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm still skeptical that it is it worthwhile to divert the railway corridor to the Airport, where is there even room to put it? Going east from the terminals I don't see a possible corridor other than elevated over the 409. It would be better off with a shuttle from the station at Woodbine to the Terminals. As well it can't be worthwhile to knock down all three parking garages, and moving the check in and baggage claim halls out of the existing terminals would leave that space underutilized.

sche

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm still skeptical that it is it worthwhile to divert the railway corridor to the Airport, where is there even room to put it? Going east from the terminals I don't see a possible corridor other than elevated over the 409. It would be better off with a shuttle from the station at Woodbine to the Terminals. As well it can't be worthwhile to knock down all three parking garages, and moving the check in and baggage claim halls out of the existing terminals would leave that space underutilized.
iirc the GTAA envisions a tunneled Kitchener line corridor to divert to the airport. Abs you mentioned above ground alignments don’t really exist. I also think some kind of people mover (or even the Finch and/or eglinton LRTs) or rail spur (ie the UPX spur) could connect the Go line to the airport.

Also, in the GTAA renderings they show the check in and baggage space repurposed as gates, with a new apron built where all the highway ramps are currently. I’m not sure if this is worth it either as it means demolishing pretty much everything thats currently there.

Last edited:

Voltz

Member Bio
Reaction score
Also, in the GTAA renderings they show the check in and baggage space repurposed as gates, with a new apron built where all the highway ramps are currently. I’m not sure if this is worth it either as it means demolishing pretty much everything thats currently there
As well, in Terminal 1 at least, the check in and baggage space has got to be easily 10x the space needed for passenger gate servicing. just what else is there that that space could be used for?

sche

Member Bio
Reaction score
As well, in Terminal 1 at least, the check in and baggage space has got to be easily 10x the space needed for passenger gate servicing. just what else is there that that space could be used for?
That’s very true. The only other use I can think of is some sort of shopping mall type thing lol.

gweed123

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
iirc the GTAA envisions a tunneled Kitchener line corridor to divert to the airport.
I believe that is the intent, yes. The eastern approach will be technically challenging (under highways, buildings, etc), but the western approach will mostly be underneath airport lands, and could conceivably be done with cut and cover.

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
I believe that is the intent, yes. The eastern approach will be technically challenging (under highways, buildings, etc), but the western approach will mostly be underneath airport lands, and could conceivably be done with cut and cover.
So that means at the actual station, GO/VIA platforms will be located underground with Eglinton and Finch platforms on the surface/elevated.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
Would need electric trains to be located underground at or near Pearson.
AFAIK, electrification of Kitchener line is still intended. Metrolinx didn't have their ducks all lined up for the big tender (needs to break it up into ~$4B chunks, and finish a few more EAs for missed elements).

Last edited:

alexanderglista

Member Bio
Reaction score
So that means at the actual station, GO/VIA platforms will be located underground with Eglinton and Finch platforms on the surface/elevated.
According to preliminary schematics, both are underground, with LRT and heavy rail on different levels. But this could change in the final design.