Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

Because IATA is in Canada, and gave Canadian airport codes special treatment.

How the heck is YYZ special treatment?

AAA would be special treatment. Or TOR

Being at the end of the alphabet is never special treatment, don't you remember how much Zaheer hated pizza day at school? His pizza would be cold by the time he got it.

How the heck is YYZ special treatment?

AAA would be special treatment. Or TOR

Being at the end of the alphabet is never special treatment, don't you remember how much Zaheer hated pizza day at school? His pizza would be cold by the time he got it.

I'm wondering how the coding issue matters at all to the travelling public. Ontario has two airports named for Billy Bishop and the industry manages to figure it out, unless there are stray Porter flights landing in Owen Sound that I haven't heard of.

I'm wondering how the coding issue matters at all to the travelling public. Ontario has two airports named for Billy Bishop and the industry manages to figure it out, unless there are stray Porter flights landing in Owen Sound that I haven't heard of.

There's at least one story every few years about some fool who winds up in Sydney NS instead of Sydney AU. Yes, duplicate names shouldn't be a problem for a vast majority of the travelling public.

So if we designate Toronto Union Station as YYZ, passengers can continue from Pearson to downtown Toronto on the same airline fare. And vice-versa. Did I get that right?

But what would the benefit be for any airline to offer that? They would need to ensure that passengers and luggage can get from Pearson to Union reliably or vice versa. For all that the UP Express has been look at what has happened when there has been delays. Now imagine someone checking in at Union, taking a train to Pearson, and boarding a plane. All while expecting their checked baggage to make it on to their aircraft as well. And imagine holding up a whole plane of passengers while waiting for someone stuck on a train. It sounds like a whole lot of cost for an airline with very little benefit.

There's at least one story every few years about some fool who winds up in Sydney NS instead of Sydney AU. Yes, duplicate names shouldn't be a problem for a vast majority of the travelling public.

No doubt a result of self-booking. If you book Sydney from Toronto and fail to notice that your flight time is ~3 hours, then there is little hope.
There have been one or two instances of planes landing (or lining up for) Sault Ste. Marie Michigan airport instead of Sault Ste. Marie Ontario (about 30km apart) but nothing really to do with the travelling public. I suppose 'YYZ' has entered into popular lexicon at some level, similar to LAX, but it has little to do with accuracy or clarity. People still fly out of 'Pearson' or 'The Island'. I can't say I ever heard of somebody say they're heading to LGA (LaGuardia).

That is because the airlines use the unique airport codes rather than the airport names or the City names. Of course, travelers screw up and we have all heard of people arriving in Sydney (NS) and wondering how best to reach the Opera House,

That is because the airlines use the unique airport codes rather than the airport names or the City names. Of course, travelers screw up and we have all heard of people arriving in Sydney (NS) and wondering how best to reach the Opera House,

There is opera in Nova Scotia...

OV20202of2.png

I suppose 'YYZ' has entered into popular lexicon at some level, similar to LAX, but it has little to do with accuracy or clarity.
The instrumental song YYZ by Rush is inspired by the airport code. They did it because seeing YYZ on their bags meant they were on their way home from being on the road. The opening part of the song is YYZ in morse code. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YYZ_(Rush_song)

Any plans that Via Rail will have their services connect at the transit hub? Now that the Kitchener corridor is being studied to connect with the transit hub, it's possible it could connect southwestern Ontario to the hub now that the high-speed rail proposal is dead.

Back