Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

There is also a strange parking lot just west of T1. They can add 2 more domestic gates by eliminating this abnormality (with very little cost).

A what, where? Sorry are you talking about the proposal or the current terminal. The airports apron sits to the west of T1, (with T3 slightly North West). Could you have meant East? The lots to the East are being used for construction crews and that space will eventually be taken over by the T1 expansion

Is it worth tearing down two major parking garages, hotel and highway bridges etc. To rebuild a new parking and road area below. And the add about twenty extra bridge gates above it, to the rear of the terminals. Why don't they tunnel Airport Rd instead. Then expand terminal 1 to Campus Rd to creating more room for pier G, H and I, to be rapped around the 12,000 space parking garage properly. And mirror terminal 3 by extending the parking garage and piers to the north to Viscount Rd. The existing aged hotels north of Airport Rd. Could be demolished and rebuilt along the 409 highway corridor. As seen on the Pearson Transit Hub rendering etc.
This could save tax payers some money. And shorten the time from getting this project up and running. Pushing the airport facilities north of Airport Rd. Closer to the Woodbine Transit Hub as seen on Google Earth.

A what, where? Sorry are you talking about the proposal or the current terminal. The airports apron sits to the west of T1, (with T3 slightly North West). Could you have meant East? The lots to the East are being used for construction crews and that space will eventually be taken over by the T1 expansion

The current terminal. Between T1 entrance hall and the RapidAir gates there is a small parking lot. No idea why this valuable space is used for a surface parking lot. Would love to know who gets this prime parking area. Fairly easy to add 2 more RapidAir gates in place of this lot.

It should include an LRT route along the 427 corridor to intersect with the airport as well. And if not LRT then maybe something Canada Line esque.

It'll be very interesting to see what kind of phasing plan they have in mind here. Keeping access to the terminals while ripping down virtually every roadway to them is going to be in the same league as the Union Station reconstruction as far as complicated staging goes.

It'll be very interesting to see what kind of phasing plan they have in mind here. Keeping access to the terminals while ripping down virtually every roadway to them is going to be in the same league as the Union Station reconstruction as far as complicated staging goes.
Not really - you build the new hub and add the people movers over the roadway and between T1 and T3, then you tear everything else down.

They've done it before, building New T1 while old T1 and T2 were still in service.

Malton Airport (Pearson Airport) sure has changed a lot since 1938.

The_Beginning_C1938.jpg

In the 1960's:
tspa_0003228f.jpg

Ah yes, the old Aeroquay Terminal(aka old terminal 1)! As outgrown as it became, I kinda miss it. It introduced that 60's sense of the international "jet set age" to Toronto(and Canada). Seems now the only ghostly remnant we have of it is a patch of newish asphalt on the current tarmac.

Last edited:
Used to be that the family could have accompanied the passenger right up to the gate. Today, they can only get to security and its bye-bye. Would the transit hub have the security, or would security actually be closer to the gates?

Used to be that the family could have accompanied the passenger right up to the gate. Today, they can only get to security and its bye-bye.
I remember it being that way in the USA for domestic flights until 2001. I don't ever remember it at Pearson. How long ago was that?

I remember it being that way in the USA for domestic flights until 2001. I don't ever remember it at Pearson. How long ago was that?

As best as I remember, the old Terminal 1 got partitioned for a central security check portal in the 1980s. Before that, each gate had its own security devices at the gate entrance. Same with the old terminal 2. Both of the current terminals were built with a central security portal.

- Paul

Back