Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

As best as I remember, the old Terminal 1 got partitioned for a central security check portal in the 1980s. Before that, each gate had its own security devices at the gate entrance. Same with the old terminal 2. Both of the current terminals were built with a central security portal.
I'm surprised it was that late. Though as I think about it, I always flew international in the 1970s and much of the 1980s, not domestic.

In other words, the transit hub shouldn't be built to today's situation, but what could happen to the area and the cities (plural) in the decades to come.

The old terminal one was a "perfect" airport terminal... for a couple of years. Until the jumbo jet started flying.

figure-1-old-terminal-one-e28093-demolition-on-level-9-june-25-041.jpg

When they actually build the transit hub, there has to be ways to change, add, or alter things for the future.

In other words, the transit hub shouldn't be built to today's situation, but what could happen to the area and the cities (plural) in the decades to come.

The old terminal one was a "perfect" airport terminal... for a couple of years. Until the jumbo jet started flying.

figure-1-old-terminal-one-e28093-demolition-on-level-9-june-25-041.jpg

When they actually build the transit hub, there has to be ways to change, add, or alter things for the future.
So like building a Highway 407 Subway Station (different modes of course) but intensify it times 100. (1 subway line now, can potentially support 5 in the future)

The irony is that the GTAA supposedly built a future proof terminal 15 years ago when it tore down the original T1 and built the new terminal. Now less than 20 years later we need to completely rethink the airport again and undergo another major airport construction...

Times change, circumstances change, yes however sometimes having vision is being able to realize sometimes it's better to work with what you have than tear down and rebuild from scratch.

The irony is that the GTAA supposedly built a future proof terminal 15 years ago when it tore down the original T1 and built the new terminal. Now less than 20 years later we need to completely rethink the airport again and undergo another major airport construction...
We are still a long way from that. Next phase is T1 expansion and more piers. The current T1 terminal will be around for decades still.

We are still a long way from that. Next phase is T1 expansion and more piers. The current T1 terminal will be around for decades still.

I was speaking about the image released last week which shows a blown up passenger processing building, and parking garage and relocated to the new 'hub' and gates added to the east side of the terminals with pedestrian bridges linking the terminals to the 'hub". The passenger processing building and the parking garage were built during the last Master Plan construction and should be around for at least another 30-40 years. Meanwhile the 'hub' would be built in the next 10-20 years.

I was speaking about the image released last week which shows a blown up passenger processing building, and parking garage and relocated to the new 'hub' and gates added to the east side of the terminals with pedestrian bridges linking the terminals to the 'hub". The passenger processing building and the parking garage were built during the last Master Plan construction and should be around for at least another 30-40 years. Meanwhile the 'hub' would be built in the next 10-20 years.
It also showed road vanishing in the middle of nowhere. Clearly it was just a piece of artwork. And while the parking garages weren't shown, T1 was still there and intact.

The airport also has figures floating around, showing T3 gone, with T1 expanded that way.

I wouldn't read too much into any of it, at this point.

At one point we were supposed to get this:
3-aeroquays-toronto-mfm.jpg

I'm still sceptical of their general plan being worthwhile. Tearing down all three parking garages just can't be worth it, and with T1 in particular I think it would be a struggle to find alternative uses for the space now taken up by the massive baggage claim halls and check in areas.

Some interesting information in a recently release document entitled "Pearson connects"

https://torontopearson.com/uploadedFiles/Pearson/Content/About_Pearson/Noise_Management/CENAC/Pearson Connects.pdf

Seems they might be more committed to this scheme than we first thought.

Also note; a mid field terminal (larger than the current infield terminal, the inter-terminal transport (red line), and the detour taken on the GO Kitchener line

Which they have renamed as the Waterloo HSR Corridor ;)

upload_2017-2-24_16-32-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-24_16-32-17.png
    upload_2017-2-24_16-32-17.png
    867.8 KB · Views: 683

Back