Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

While the Sheraton Gateway Hotel is at Toronto's Terminal three, it is "outside" security and customs. See link.

Maybe the transit hub will have a hotel as well. Renting out rooms on an hourly basis, maybe. Hmmm. Don't they do that already? Renting out hourly?

Unfortunately, can't see them setting up separate, segregated floors in a transit hub hotel for regular, after security, and after customs customers served by separate elevators.

ALT hotel is located next to the Airport People mover station, which essentially, will become the transit hub

(note...very large pdf)
https://www.torontopearson.com/uplo...trategy/Master_Plan/MasterPlanFinal_Draft.pdf

A few things from this report:
- Eglinton LRT will not go to to the Terminals. It will go to the Viscount Lot
- Likewise GO/RER would go to the same location (Figure 8.9). Makes sense. UP stays a premium service (direct to T1 vs having to transfer at Viscount)

Nothing new on the Transit Hub other than this (other than a lot of Federal Liberal electioneering for their Provincial counterparts)

For the Airport (new stuff)
- Gates will be added to T3
- T3 and T1 will merge (which means the RapidAir gates will have to move)
- shelved any grandiose plan for another large pier

Great find @muller877! I found some more details on the alignment of the transit routes going to the airport:

VuvHb68.png

yye4Ikv.png

C5q5PZJ.png

BT7AoHS.png

Development to 2027. We’ve proposed that phase one of the regional transit centre would commence operations in conjunction with the earliest potential light rail connection to Toronto Pearson: the extension of the Eglinton Crosstown/West LRT. Discussions with Metrolinx indicate that the LRT extension will take from seven to 10 years to design and build following a funding decision. We therefore expect it to be in place by 2027.

The facility will be built to accommodate at least one additional light rail link – potentially the Finch West extension. However, we don’t expect that connection to be developed until after 2027. We’re currently protecting lands for a new transit-only bridge over Hwy 401 to serve the proposed Eglinton LRT extension. The bridge would cross the highway parallel to Renforth Drive, running from the new Renforth Station on Eglinton Avenue, up Commerce Boulevard to the area adjacent to the GTAA Administration Building (on Convair Drive).

In the near future, even before the first Eglinton LRT line connects to Toronto Pearson, we plan to begin facilitating bus connections to the new service. While construction of the initial phase of the regional transit centre is underway, we’ll provide either an off-street bus terminal or enhanced bus stop facilities on Viscount Road (or possibly in Area 6A) for passengers travelling to the westernmost Eglinton LRT station. This will provide near-term connectivity to the TTC while helping to seed demand for the transit options to come.

In our plan, the initial phase of the regional transit centre will be built in conjunction with the first phase of the proposed T-New facility. Air passengers who reach the regional hub by transit will have the option of completing check-in at T-New before proceeding to their departure gates in Terminal 1 or 3. In addition to offering light rail connectivity, the transit centre’s first phase will be designed to accommodate a heavy-rail station for RER and HSR services along the Kitchener GO corridor. As discussed above, this RER/HSR connectivity will require realignment of existing tracks or a new branch of the main line; we project that this work can be completed as early as 2027.

Last edited:
If you're going to have a link train transfer anyway, wouldn't it be smarter to just extend the link train to Malton or a brand new GO station on the existing track?

Psychologically going to Malton feels like the Newark connection which is far and people will think of it as a transfer. If its just a short people mover they will not consider it a transfer and will more likely use transit to get to their destination.

I think they are linking Eglinton LRT, Derry (B?)RT, Finch LRT, Airport Rocket, and a bunch of other services all at the Viscount location. Malton is too far north and would mean having to go north to go south for a lot of transit users.

Psychologically going to Malton feels like the Newark connection which is far and people will think of it as a transfer. If its just a short people mover they will not consider it a transfer and will more likely use transit to get to their destination.

I think they are linking Eglinton LRT, Derry (B?)RT, Finch LRT, Airport Rocket, and a bunch of other services all at the Viscount location. Malton is too far north and would mean having to go north to go south for a lot of transit users.
GTAA may also want to have control of the facility, and benefit from the development around it. I would think that the people mover will be a bottleneck, as it does not seem to have the capacity to handle huge volume of passengers arriving in mass transit...

At around 2km.....to the terminals, Malton is half as far away from them as the total length of the Plane Train in Atlanta's airport.....people don't seem to mind using that to move from one component of the airport to another.

The "trick" is how well integrated these things are and how much they feel like they are just part of the airport.

With the GTAA's purchase of the international Centre across the tracks from Malton GO Station it would be MUCH more logical to have the regional transit centre there for a number of reasons primarily because this would allow for connectivity to
1.GO RER
2. VIA Rail
3. HSR
4. Finch LRT
5. Eglinton LRT
6. Mi-Way BRT (via transfer to Eglinton LRT)
7. ZUM BRT
8. 427/407 Transitway (GO Bus, MegaBus etc.)

The UP Express can remain largely as-is with the future Mt. Dennis station replacing Weston as a stop on the route.

The Eglinton LRTs could provide a loop through the terminals so folks don't have to backtrack and also provide service that replaces the LINK train with a stop on Airport Rd. to the Remote Value Parking Lot.
This eliminates a ridiculously expensive current vision of a spur GO Line directly to the Airport.

Apologies for the crude drawing in Paint, I don't have anything fancier at work. :)

Attachments

• PearsonTransitHub.jpg
    PearsonTransitHub.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 346
Reactions: kps
At around 2km.....to the terminals, Malton is half as far away from them as the total length of the Plane Train in Atlanta's airport.....people don't seem to mind using that to move from one component of the airport to another.

The "trick" is how well integrated these things are and how much they feel like they are just part of the airport.
sorry, got my units of measurement all off...it is actually just shy of 2 miles which makes it about 2/3 the length of the Plane Train at Hartsfield-Jackson.

I wonder why there map of the RER route does not match what that Metrolink map shows ? And it seems there render showing the GO train follows the metrolink route - not there route.

(note...very large pdf)
https://www.torontopearson.com/uplo...trategy/Master_Plan/MasterPlanFinal_Draft.pdf

A few things from this report:
- Eglinton LRT will not go to to the Terminals. It will go to the Viscount Lot
- Likewise GO/RER would go to the same location (Figure 8.9). Makes sense. UP stays a premium service (direct to T1 vs having to transfer at Viscount)

Nothing new on the Transit Hub other than this (other than a lot of Federal Liberal electioneering for their Provincial counterparts)

For the Airport (new stuff)
- Gates will be added to T3
- T3 and T1 will merge (which means the RapidAir gates will have to move)
- shelved any grandiose plan for another large pier

The document is dated dec 1 2017 and looks extremely similar to the draft plan that was released at that time. Am i missing some changes?

The document is dated dec 1 2017 and looks extremely similar to the draft plan that was released at that time. Am i missing some changes?
No you are not, some just noticed the document a bit late - might be because of the UT editorial from yesterday that references the document as if it was new.

Either way, a good time to comment that AC has seen the writings on the wall and are funneling most of the PAX increase, and capacity growth through YVR and YUL. YYZ is full - and what the airport authority is planning to do won't go nearly far enough. If that editorial is anything to go by, the GTAA thinks it's ok that the departure halls are so crowded you can't move, or that there are no seats for passengers. Also not surprising that Pearson's ratings on Skytrax and other mediums keeps dropping.

I use global hubs (serving many more passengers than YYZ) in most of my travels and the crowding at Pearson is unique.

Back