Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

Instead of two terminals focused around airline groupings, I wish Pearson evolved a plan for three connected terminals that were: international, domestic, transborder.

As for the hub, Airway Centre seems far for anything but construction staging. Ideally the hub would be where the garage is today.

Instead of two terminals focused around airline groupings, I wish Pearson evolved a plan for three connected terminals that were: international, domestic, transborder.

As for the hub, Airway Centre seems far for anything but construction staging. Ideally the hub would be where the garage is today.
Don’t the airlines prefer terminals arranged by airline groupings?

I can't find the photo of the old 1998 plan right now, however at one point that was the plan. Makes a lot more sense than this cockamamie split bridge design.

The growth rates at YYZ are absolutely insane right now. The airport is going to be way over capacity in the next couple of years, they need to expand quickly. 48M this year, and they only hit 40 million a year or two ago. The traffic so far for this year in 9 months is what went through the airport in 12 months just a few years ago.

Great for them. Crap experience for passengers and all the support services at the airport. Imagine how much more efficient getting through US CBP would be if all their staff were concentrated in one terminal at the entry point, and the entire terminal was dedicated to US travel.

Heck, if necessary, we could even force all arrivals into the international terminal and have them tow planes to the US terminal, allowing concentration of all CBSA in one terminal.

Not going to happen.

If I am a Star Alliance traveller, I want access to all the Star Alliance flights as I come from the USA on United and I am making an Air Canada connection here to an international destination for example.

Or if you are travelling from the west to the Caribbean, you want to go from Westjet to Westjet Vacations or Air Canada to Air Canada vacations.

No one but a purist cares if all the destinations served by a terminal are in the same group,of destinations - Canada, USA, International.

Last edited:
Not going to happen.

If I am a Star Alliance traveller, I want access to all the Star Alliance flights as I come from the USA on United and I am making an Air Canada connection here to an international destination for example.

Or if you are travelling from the west to ththe Caribbean, you want to go from Westjet to Westjet Vacations or Air Canada to Air Canada vacations.

No one but a purist cares if all the destinations served by a terminal are in the same group,of destinations - Canada, USA, International.

Now lets be clear here when he says three interconnected terminals what exactly does he mean by interconnected? Terminal implies an independant structure (where connections might be through an airport people mover). That will never happen. But one termial with three separate piers for each category, well now, thats something more feasible.

Yes, and the working relationships are tight. The lounges, check-in, and air-side crews are often integrated and or shared. At Pearson, Air Canada personel and contractors do a lot of work for United, Lufthansa, Turkish and other Star Alliance carriers. Around the world, Air Canada is helped by the incumbent Star Alliance carriers local teams. Same with Sky Team and One World.

Also - try and check a bag through to your final destination if you buy different legs of your trip on different tickets, or between different carrier alliances. It can be cheaper, but you will be retrieving and schlepping your bag through the intermediate terminals on your journey.

Sydney's airport divides it out by International and Domestic. Both terminals have area's dedicated to the various alliances.
Pearson used to use different terminals for int'l and domestic decades ago. Int'l you had to pass through security, domestic you didn't. I thought many larger airports were the same on that.

Pearson used to use different terminals for int'l and domestic decades ago. Int'l you had to pass through security, domestic you didn't. I thought many larger airports were the same on that.

These days there is security for domestic, United States, and international flights. Need to be on the lookout for contraband like toothpaste or baby powder.

If we are really in need of expantion. What would be the time frame to develope the two piers and transit hub?

I doubt sydney has anywhere near the amount of transborder traffic that pearson has. I doubt they have any transborder at all

“Transborder” is purely a Canadian concept, pretty much. Airports in other countries don’t have US preclearance (with very, very few exceptions) so there’s no need for the three-way division of passengers that makes Canadian airports relatively complicated to design.

“Transborder” is purely a Canadian concept, pretty much. Airports in other countries don’t have US preclearance (with very, very few exceptions) so there’s no need for the three-way division of passengers that makes Canadian airports relatively complicated to design.

Maybe we should get rid of that preclearance.

Back