News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

@Bangkok I'm not sure what the gate utilization numbers are like so no idea if closing 1 or 2 gates at a time would be a significant capacity pinch. Also they are not going to ramp up the infield terminal just for a couple of gates. That's why I suggested they might be waiting until they had extra gate capacity before moving forward with paving.

Does anyone know when they are going to start Pier G? According to the plans I think it was supposed to be finish this year. They said they would have G,H, and maybe I done by 2020. I don't think that's going to happen.

Expansion will be dependent on demand. Passenger growth hasn't yet triggered the need for the additional piers. At the moment they are refurbishing Terminal 3 and adding additional baggage capacity to Terminal 3. So I don't expect any construction on Pier G to start until 2016 at the earliest.

They are also working on an updated master plan which will likely revise and push back planned addition of piers.

Expansion will be dependent on demand. Passenger growth hasn't yet triggered the need for the additional piers.

One small nit, passenger growth doesn't require additional piers. It's an increasing number of flights (or gate time) that causes this. The passenger count is actually inline with early predictions on when Pier G would be required, but aircraft in general seat many more people per flight.

In fact, Air Canada is expecting 10% passenger growth with their 787's without adding a single flight.

You can also look at the growth in the use of planes in the 100-seat range or so which have replaced a lot of the regional jets for a number of airlines, most significantly AC.

Just imagine if all the piers were all filled up and they needed to build more . I think a good location would be on the other side of terminal 3 . You would get rid of the cargo hangers etc. and move it where the infield terminal is Or by the old McDonnell Douglas plant across the runway. Then get rid of the name terminal 1 and 3 and rename all the piers from A to Z. They will span as far as one of main runways.

In fact, Air Canada is expecting 10% passenger growth with their 787's without adding a single flight.

Air Canada is also substantially upsizing its narrow body fleet when it inducts the 737 MAX later this decade. The order mix is in the order of a 10-15% increase in capacity depending on what happens with the Embraer fleet replacement.

In effect this means much more passenger traffic through Pearson with a slight increase in aircraft movements.

Just imagine if all the piers were all filled up and they needed to build more . I think a good location would be on the other side of terminal 3 . You would get rid of the cargo hangers etc. and move it where the infield terminal is Or by the old McDonnell Douglas plant across the runway. Then get rid of the name terminal 1 and 3 and rename all the piers from A to Z. They will span as far as one of main runways.

I believe runway capacity will become an issue before the need for that many extra gates and piers arises. That being said I think they will eventually connect the two terminals and the gates/piers are already numbered in order (t3 has piers a-b and t1 has piers d-f. Not sure what happened to c pier)

The runway to the north 5-23 will be twinned eventually but again all depends on demand. If they are moving more passengers with fewer aircraft by using larger aircraft than the new runway will be pushed back.

We need to keep in mind that the current master plan was released in 2008 at that time the A380 and B787 hadn't been released and the 737MAX, 320Neo, 350XWB, etc had not even been announced. The aviation world has changed since 2008. A new Master plan, which they are working on now, will update all of these plans.

I believe runway capacity will become an issue before the need for that many extra gates and piers arises. That being said I think they will eventually connect the two terminals and the gates/piers are already numbered in order (t3 has piers a-b and t1 has piers d-f. Not sure what happened to c pier)

Pier A is the T3 satellite, Piers B/C are connected to T3 (they are the two fingers) and Piers D/E/F are T1.

I'm really impressed by the growth at YYZ. Not only in pax, but in new airlines linking pretty much the entire world with Toronto.

The loss of Aeroflot/Transaero is regrettable (I was hoping to do a YYZ-SVO-BEG routing next year and spend 3 days in Moscow), but politics will be politics.. I'm sure that route will be back.

Pier A is the T3 satellite, Piers B/C are connected to T3 (they are the two fingers) and Piers D/E/F are T1.

I'm really impressed by the growth at YYZ. Not only in pax, but in new airlines linking pretty much the entire world with Toronto.

The loss of Aeroflot/Transaero is regrettable (I was hoping to do a YYZ-SVO-BEG routing next year and spend 3 days in Moscow), but politics will be politics.. I'm sure that route will be back.

T3 Satellite is currently mothballed and not in use. Toronto Pearson website lists the piers as A, B, with C gates being the mini hammerhead at the end of pier B.

T3 Satellite is currently mothballed and not in use. Toronto Pearson website lists the piers as A, B, with C gates being the mini hammerhead at the end of pier B.
The satellite is (was) A1 to A6.

The letters refer to Canada (A), USA (B), and International (C). There's gates on both piers that are B. And some gates can be both A and B.

I thought I saw somewhere a while back that the satellite was being unmothballed.

Back