News   Apr 25, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

I’d struggle to believe this, except for the fact that the comparison is limited to North American airports, most of which are admittedly shite. Small example: it took an hour and a half to collect our bags from a HK flight at T3 last night. There was some entertainment when the bags came onto the carousel so fast that they created a big jam and the carousel shut down, prompting a lot of video. Then getting picked up outside T3 was total chaos, with a completely unsupervised traffic jam of double and sometimes triple parked cars trying to load people and bags. Having started at Sydney and connected through HK, both airports that function efficiently, arriving at Pearson felt like entering the third world.
T3 is a decidedly inferior experience to T1 in my view. Cathay is an excellent airline. I hate to be locked into Star Alliance. That being said, I have paid more for a flight leaving from T1 than T3 because T3 is such shite. I went south on Westjet a year back and the terminal was a shitshow. There was some issue with the main baggage system and the Westjet people were running around putting a second ticket on people's bags. What a rotten experience that was. If I had to use T3 regularly...umm no.

No one should be parked/stopped curbside at a terminal for 20 minutes....5 tops.

If picking up....you sit in the provided cell phone lot until the passenger you are picking up is ready to be picked up and then you scoot in, say hello, load their bags and move on. When dropping off, it can't take more than 5 minutes to unload a car's worth of passengers and luggage.

That's my point. If you are simply dropping someone off or picking someone ups it should only take minutes. If you are doing more than that, such as assisting with carrying bags into the terminal or check in, than you should be using the parking garage. It's not the end of the world to pay $3.25 to park when you are likely carrying a $4 coffee in your hand as well.

They also have a free lot where you can wait for the person picking you up to call you on your cell phone.

GTAA needs to do a better job at advertising this.

Enforcing anything - and the attendent expectation that rules will be enforced seem to be a weakness in the GTA. Authorities seems to love to think that people will simply follow rules without enforcement; and people seem to think that getting caught violating rules is an indignant violation of personal rights.

AoD

I’ve flown EVA direct to Taipei. I have no knowledge or insight into planes and airport logistics but I would add anecdotally that most of the passengers are people connecting to the Phillipines. They all also seem to be flying with large parcel boxes which presumably garner hefty overweight surcharges. The arrival terminal for passengers disembarking in Taipei is like an empty ghost town.

P.S. There seems to be some weird two-tier flight ticket system where Chinese speaking/ reading passengers find tickets here in the GTA at substantial discount to those outside the Chinese community. Also, connecting flights are substantial cheaper to book in Asia than from here in Canada. We flew from Taiwan to Japan for half the price by booking in Taipei versus from here in advance.

Yeah. I flew to Beijing, connecting to a domestic Air China flight, and later a domestic flight between Changchun and Shenzhen, and back home from Hong Kong back in 2008. My flights were really inexpensive, but I booked through a Chinese travel agent here in Toronto (I was referred). They even took care of my visa. If you have friends or family who knows how to get the deals, you save a bundle.

That's my point. If you are simply dropping someone off or picking someone ups it should only take minutes. If you are doing more than that, such as assisting with carrying bags into the terminal or check in, than you should be using the parking garage. It's not the end of the world to pay $3.25 to park when you are likely carrying a $4 coffee in your hand as well.

Sorry, I misunderstood you and thought you were saying the former (the simple drop off) could take 20 minutes. I get you now.

GTAA needs to do a better job at advertising this.
Perhaps, but lots of us found/find out about it.....there are signs allover the roadways leading to the terminals directing people to it....and it is well described on their web page.

T3 has been a bit limited with all the renovations going on ... but it sure the hell beats flying Air Canada!

Though by far the best and most relaxing restaurant at Pearson is in T3 near the Sheraton Hotel lobby. It doesnt' feel like you are even in a restaurant. It's conveniently located by the T3 Link station, and I've gone from T1 to their and back again, when I've had the time!

United? if that's the cost of flying through Terminal 1, it's not worth it.

I miss Continental.
United really isn't that bad when it comes to North American Carriers. They're all pretty shitty tbh, the only decent one is Southwest, and that's only because it's a LCC. Also get to fly with ANA a lot so that's good. I don't just go to Trumpland : P

One thing that really needs to be addressed though: the bullshit security/preclearance lines in T1. Was in line for 2 1/2 hrs a few weeks ago when going to Tucson.

Hey guys,

At 1:34, does anyone know what this Air Canada screen is?
Says

Position 2
Position 2
Position 1
etc

At 1:34, does anyone know what this Air Canada screen is?

Position 2

This is a complete guess, but perhaps there are 2 agents for making changes to interrupted travel plans and people waiting have been assigned numbers. This prevents a line of hundreds of people waiting at the desk as they can wait elsewhere.

I am flying BA Pearson to Heathrow this weekend. Any tips and tricks from you fine folks for departure and arrival?

Get there early. Use the pick up drop off curbs correctly (don't park on the highway shoulders, more for arrivals than departures). Pack your carry on in such a way that allows you to easily remove technology for the security line.

I am flying BA Pearson to Heathrow this weekend. Any tips and tricks from you fine folks for departure and arrival?

Don't wear a belt, and wear shoes that are easy to remove and put on! Electronics tip above is also a good one. Also, have your liquids in a clear plastic bag and easily accessible so you can pull them out when going through security.

Check in online, or using the self serve kiosks at the airport. Makes things super easy, especially if you don't have bags to check in.

Back