News   Jul 12, 2024
 980     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 852     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 346     0 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

Is YYZ using the infield terminal at the moment? Given how constrained the runways are, it mightn't be a bad idea to use it to ensure gate delays for incoming aircraft are minimised/that departing aircraft can be held at the gate rather than queuing for a runway with engines running.

Seems like Pearson is beginning public consultations for the new master plan:

Toronto Pearson is an important part of the region and your community. Our airport is growing as an employment zone and now as a transit centre. Both increasing demand for air travel and the rising population of the Greater Toronto Area are behind our growth.

This summer, we are launching a series of initiatives to talk about the airport’s plan for long-term growth.

Join us for one or all of our five public workshops taking place across the Greater Toronto Area.

Each workshop will include presentations about the airport followed by small group discussions on how to help guide us through the next phase of our growth and ensure that we manage the impact of our operations responsibly. Residents of any neighbourhood are welcome to attend any or all the workshops.

To learn more about the important region-building conversation, or to fill in our Survey on Noise Fairness and Airport Growth please visit:www.torontopearson.com/conversations.

We encourage you toregisterto ensure we can plan for any accommodations that are required.

East of the Airport
Tuesday, June 20, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Ismali Centre Toronto
49 Wynford Drive
North York, ON M3C 1K1

North of the Airport
Thursday, June 22, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Peel Art Gallery Museum & Archives
9 Wellington Street East
Brampton, ON L6W 1Y1

South of the Airport
Wednesday, June 28, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Assembly Hall
1 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive
Etobicoke, ON M8V 4B6

Central
Tuesday, July 4, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Mississauga Living Arts Centre
4141 Living Arts Dr
Mississauga, ON L5B 4B8

West of the Airport
Thursday, July 6, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Harbour Banquet & Conference Centre, Bronte Room
2340 Ontario Street
Oakville, ON L6L 6P7

In other (and good) news despite the circus caused by the runway works - Pearson still shows a healthy 8.7% ytd increase as of April.

I think this has more to do with noise management than growth. Though both go hand in hand.

There is a very vocal group protesting Pearson's growth and flight paths. Any expansion will make this worse. I took one of their surveys about noise management and it seemed like the overarching message was either a) concentration of flight paths over a small area, thus affecting a few residents with a lot of noise or b) spreading flight paths over the region, thus affecting a lot more residents but with relatively less noise.

I think this has more to do with noise management than growth. Though both go hand in hand.

There is a very vocal group protesting Pearson's growth and flight paths. Any expansion will make this worse. I took one of their surveys about noise management and it seemed like the overarching message was either a) concentration of flight paths over a small area, thus affecting a few residents with a lot of noise or b) spreading flight paths over the region, thus affecting a lot more residents but with relatively less noise.

That really is the dilemma for the airport and residents and no one is ever going to agree. The residents in the concentration area would prefer dispersal of flight paths. Those in the dispersal area would prefer a concentration of the flight paths.

Ultimately someone has to make a decision and tell whoever is complaining to stop bitching.

tell whoever is complaining to stop bitching
My thoughts on the subject have always been that Malton Airport has been at that location since the 30's. Unless you live in one of the original farmhouses that may still exist, you moved to the airport, the airport did not move to you.

I look at it like this. Take the airport draw a circle 5miles or 10Km around it. If you are in that circle you are in the direct operating area of the airport, and you are going to see planes! Period. Since final approach for most landings begin 5 miles from the runway the aircraft will have to be set up, configured, and more or less lined up with the runway to land.

Those complaining about the noise want the flight paths moved elsewhere and/or different runways used. All they accomplish in suggesting this is illustrating just how misinformed they are on how take offs/landings and related movements in the air operate. For example the airport just can't CHOOSE to use a certain runway, runway use is dictated by wind direction.

My thoughts on the subject have always been that Malton Airport has been at that location since the 30's. Unless you live in one of the original farmhouses that may still exist, you moved to the airport, the airport did not move to you.

I look at it like this. Take the airport draw a circle 5miles or 10Km around it. If you are in that circle you are in the direct operating area of the airport, and you are going to see planes! Period. Since final approach for most landings begin 5 miles from the runway the aircraft will have to be set up, configured, and more or less lined up with the runway to land.

Those complaining about the noise want the flight paths moved elsewhere and/or different runways used. All they accomplish in suggesting this is illustrating just how misinformed they are on how take offs/landings and related movements in the air operate. For example the airport just can't CHOOSE to use a certain runway, runway use is dictated by wind direction.

It is never that easy though.......because things change all the time. I grew up in Brampton.....right in a flight path, and was used to it. Spin forward to being an adult and when we decided to stay in town, we knew the lay of the land and selected a place to live that was typically outside of airplane noise.......been in our current house now (which is well outside of your 5 mile radius) for about 15 years and for the first few years we could sit in our back yard, see the planes in the distance but not hear a sound....we often heard expressions of surprise from guests about how quiet it was and how they expected a yard in Brampton to be very loud from plane noise......then they changed something and several times an hour now we have to pause conversation because of plane noise......we have never complained (we just take a, "ah well, such is life, growth happens" attitude to the whole thing)....but I do understand why when things change and overly simplistic answers appear why people get upset/frustrated.

We did, however, get a bit of a reprieve during the runway construction......it got quiet again for a brief time ;)

EDIT: here are radius circles drawn from Pearson at 5/7/8/9 miles.....for perspective, we just (barely) get covered by the 9 mile circle.

upload_2017-6-9_10-37-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-9_10-37-48.png
    upload_2017-6-9_10-37-48.png
    550.3 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:
What changed is continuous descent and departures. There are now radar and GPS approaches and departures for Pearson which are continuous. None of the previous stepped down approaches. These are called SIDs (Standard Instrument Departure) and STARs (Standard Terminal Arrival Route). You might be near a hold or turn point for a SID or STAR.

This is all supposed to be better for fuel economy, emissions, airport throughput and safety. But naturally, it will disturb a new set of people.

EDIT: here are radius circles drawn from Pearson at 5/7/8/9 miles.....for perspective, we just (barely) get covered by the 9 mile circle.

View attachment 111324[/QUOTE]

I grew up inside the 5 mi circle to the east. It was loud sometimes. A 727 or a DC-9 could really screech.

Talking about the 9 mile noise pollution threshold. Does anyone know if or when they'll build the sixth runway?

I recently flew back from Chicago and was kind of shocked at our Pearson approach. We kind of circled around at surprisingly low elevation somewhere north of Yonge and Eglington. I don't even know if that makes any sense but that is how it went.

Relevant to previous discussions the flight was Air Canada and many of the passengers were Americans connecting to Europe via Pearson. The flight was crazy delayed by the way and I think most of them missed their connecting flights. There were people connecting to crazy places like Vancouver. Why people need to connect to Vancouver or Paris via Pearson when coming from one of the busiest airports in the world escapes me but anyway that was the case.

Back