Toronto Pears on the Avenue | ?m | 20s | Menkes | P + S / IBI

December 15 2014 aerial video.
[video=youtube;CtZuhz6lR8Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZuhz6lR8Y[/video]

Last edited:
Looks like they're planning to put a coffee shop in one the retail units. There's already 3 or 4 coffee shops within a block of the building. All independent. I wonder if it'll be a Starbucks.

$75/foot is what they are asking, rents in the avenue and Davenport will triple when these condo's finish. There is already a major change within the last 12 months in rent.

Last edited:
$75/foot is what they are asking, rents in the avenue and Davenport will triple when these condo's finish. There is already a major change within the last 12 months in rent.

I was hoping Sotto Sotto would somehow become a tenant. No such luck...

Besides the new condos going up in the area, are there any other big factors contributing to the change in rents?

Sotto Sotto already moved into a building 2 or 3 doors down from where they were. Major factor IMO is intensification which is a result of the population growth that will be coming to the area. There is something like 20+ condo's either proposed, under development or recently finished that contribute to demand and thus to ask for higher rents, all within a maximum 5 min walk to Avenue/Davenport. The other major factor is that "Yorkville" is no longer just Hazelton, Cumberland, Yorkville etc, now streets like Pears Avenue and Davenport are seeing some of the prestige from traditional Yorkville streets trickling down to what 3-4 years ago and as recent as 12 months ago would never be considered "Yorkville".

Last edited:
Pears by Menkes from Yorkville.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3980.JPG
    IMG_3980.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,065
So grim.

That is maybe the mort relentlessly dull grey construction in the city, the colour of egg cartons. I assume that there's a little more balcony glazing to come, but I suspect that this building will never appear finished. Its west profile is bizarrely weak, its penthouse level fenestration is haphazard. If this went through the Design Review Panel, they either are not paying attention to enough of the elements or simply don't have enough power to be truly effective.

How anyone could design something like this, for what is essentially Yorkville of all places, blows my mind. Page+Steele everyone.

Yup. Might be even uglier than the public housing next to it. This is builder basic crap right in the middle of one of the city's nicest areas, right on one of our main Avenues. Thanks Menkes! Thanks PoS - you guys never fail to lower the bar!!

I swear like 95% of the condos going up in this city all look the same. Same old garbage. Where is the creativity from our architects?

Back