News   May 09, 2024
 506     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 465     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 764     1 

Toronto Parks

The city seems to slowly be adding more outdoor fitness equipment to various parks, which is fantastic. It’s so convenient to be able to knock out some quick sets if you don’t feel like or are able to hit a gym. Is there a detailed rollout available somewhere? Way more parks need this:
IMG_6244.jpeg

I have a question about the 2024 Budget and community centres. What is the Downtown Community Recreation Centre (Ramsden)?

The East Bayfront CC is in the Aquabella building?

What does the money for John Street corridor cover?

Thanks!

I have a question about the 2024 Budget and community centres.

I'm reading.

What is the Downtown Community Recreation Centre (Ramsden)?

Yes

The East Bayfront CC is in the Aquabella building?

Yes * (Aqualuna, actually)

What does the money for John Street corridor cover?

Given that no construction is due on the corridor this year, I'm going to suggest these are probably design funds, I assume most of the funds for this project are over at Transportation, but if I had to guess, this might be for the public square space contemplated the s/w corner of King/John. Not sure on that.

I'm reading.

Yes

Yes * (Aqualuna, actually)

Given that no construction is due on the corridor this year, I'm going to suggest these are probably design funds, I assume most of the funds for this project are over at Transportation, but if I had to guess, this might be for the public square space contemplated the s/w corner of King/John. Not sure on that.
Thanks for the reply! On Ramsden I would think that this is in Ramsden Park but is meant to serve Yorkville as well?

Thanks for the reply!

You're welcome.

On Ramsden I would think that this is in Ramsden Park but is meant to serve Yorkville as well?

Its the site of the current works yard just to the south of Ramsden, fronting Yonge.

It will be the principle recreation centre for northern downtown and Yorkville.

I am putting this here as there are no proposals yet but an interesting section in the 2017 Portlands Report recently posted in the Portlands thread. McCleary Park and the Commissioners Transfer Station are mentioned as having enormous potential as a major open space and community/cultural centre. Just a few images to get ideas going.

IMG_7578.jpeg

IMG_7577.jpeg
IMG_7576.jpeg
IMG_7575.jpeg
IMG_7574.jpeg
IMG_7573.png
IMG_7572.png
IMG_7571.png

Raindrop Plaza at Cowell & Dundas is mostly done:

raindrop-01.jpg

raindrop-02.jpg

raindrop-03.jpg

That's a lot of hard surface for a piece of "green infrastructure". Maybe it should have been called "Heat Island Plaza." If this was a front yard, it wouldn't meet the city's soft surface proportions.

I prefer the little oasis at Coxwell and Fairford:

raindrop-04.jpg

The sad, little Edgewood Commons has more green, but not a great design:

raindrop-05.jpg

Above @flonicky has good photos and excellent comments regarding Raindrop Plaza.

This is NOT the original design plan, this is supposed to be a rain garden which would help treat some local run-off as well.

How this design got altered to include a large amount of asphalt where softscaping had been planned is something for which I have been unable to obtain a satisfactory explanation.

Not Acceptable!

Maybe someone would like to write Councillor Bradford's office in search of answers. (I'm not the right person, this time)

This was the last version of the plan I saw:

1714320981593.png

Still too hardscapey, (yes that's a word now, I just invented it) ; but even here, you see trees over the asphalt patch.

This was a much earlier version, also too hardscapey:

1714321122323.png

This thing has had so many iterations. None all that good.

1714321417025.jpeg

Still this is really disappointing.

Last edited:
The City is looking for feedback on a cricket strategy. This fits nicely into how does one squeeze more uses out of a static network of spaces? I wonder if putting a few pitches into the ravines is viable/desireable?

As far as the central area goes I would like to see at least one in Villiers Park.

This fits nicely into how does one squeeze more uses out of a static network of spaces? I wonder if putting a few pitches into the ravines is viable/desireable?

Not a permissible use, nor a practical one. Lighting is prohibited in natural ravine areas. (new installs)

It exists in one or two historically; but in those cases too, it may be subject to removal when the system gives out.

As far as the central area goes I would like to see at least one in Villiers Park.

Plausible, but the waiting list for soccer pitches in the core is huge. I'm not certain the demand for cricket, in that area, is as high.

I expect demand in other areas of the City is much higher, including areas, where baseball might be removed due to low demand.

This speaks to the need for more total parkland, particularly in the form of larger parks (new or by way of expanding existing) that can accommodate sports fields.

Back