Toronto Panorama at Concord CityPlace | 96.01m | 28s | Concord Adex | BDP Quadrangle

Khristopher, your post said many times - I rephrased it to say all the time. Not an exact translation I'll admit, but one which I feel still captures the essence of your original post.

I would have to say that there is a big difference between saying "many times" and "all the time." There are a number of ways that one can interpret the word many, but saying all the time suggests that cars are flying off in numbers on a regular basis. If khristopher is making an overstatement, your interpretation of it is exaggerated.

Cars have gone off the Gardiner. It's quite rare, but it has happened.

Some buyers in Panorama with a Gardiner view might actually see this happen once if they stare out their window for a very, very long period of time on a regular basis.

Yes, or imagine a wheel flying off of a rig, or a truck with bad brakes skidding off in winter weather. There are all kinds of possible scenarios. I'm amazed that building codes would allow for this sort of construction. At the very least I might expect blank walls at highway level. Anyway, it wouldn't be for me but to each is own!

"Ahhh, first day in my brand new Cityplace Panorama condo, situated on one of the lower floors with a view of the Gardiner. Let's see what's going on outsi-" *SMASH!!!*

Yes, or imagine a wheel flying off of a rig, or a truck with bad brakes skidding off in winter weather. There are all kinds of possible scenarios. I'm amazed that building codes would allow for this sort of construction. At the very least I might expect blank walls at highway level. Anyway, it wouldn't be for me but to each is own!

I don't see why they wouldn't allow it. A car can crash into any house, regardless of where it is built.

Yeah...anywhere

car-crash.jpg

Many years ago I was taking a walk, about 10 blocks from where I lived at the time, and I came across a house that had the back end of a car sticking out of the front, about head high. I asked around and was told that the car had been speeding and lost control, and launched itself off a snow bank.

A car could go skidding off of a road and smash through the ground level of a building, or in some cases even higher. Maybe building codes shouldn't allow buildings beside streets.

So far there are two recorded instances of cars going off the Gardiner, which is nowhere near "many" times. I can't see how this would warrant taller guardrails or increased building distance from the highway.

Many years ago I was taking a walk, about 10 blocks from where I lived at the time, and I came across a house that had the back end of a car sticking out of the front, about head high. I asked around and was told that the car had been speeding and lost control, and launched itself off a snow bank.

THere were 2 incidents this year that happened to the SAME house.
I can't recall where in TO ... but it was so absurd, it was funny.

IIRC, the first time was the result of an elderly driver having a medical condition, the car went through their home office.

While the house was awaiting news from the insurance company to fix the damaged area, a 2nd driver (DUI) missed a curve in the road and drove into the same location. :eek:

IIRC, the first time was the result of an elderly driver having a medical condition, the car went through their home office.

While the house was awaiting news from the insurance company to fix the damaged area, a 2nd driver (DUI) missed a curve in the road and drove into the same location. :eek:

The north end of Park Lawn.

Happened in St.Catharines as well.

I went down this weekend to look at Panorama. I am very impressed, not an urban design critic like most on this site, but wow amazing, amazing building.

Looks fantastic!!

Back