Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

Sunday was gorgeous so I decided to head to Corktown Common to take a few pictures of the development. There's a lot of shadows but still cool to see. Enjoy!
DJI_0017.jpg

DJI_0012.jpg

DJI_0019.jpg

The progress is neat, but it just kills me that we built an entire neighbourhood from scratch—in 2016—and the cycling infrastructure is from 1990. There are acres of unused space at the moment, and not a single protected cycle lane in sight. The whole neighbourhood could be plopped down in the middle of a subdevelopment in any suburbia on earth and not look out of place. UGH.

The progress is neat, but it just kills me that we built an entire neighbourhood from scratch—in 2016—and the cycling infrastructure is from 1990. There are acres of unused space at the moment, and not a single protected cycle lane in sight. The whole neighbourhood could be plopped down in the middle of a subdevelopment in any suburbia on earth and not look out of place. UGH.

I have to agree. Sharrows? What is that sh*t?

Yes. Really grinds my gears (unlike those on my actual bike, which will not be doing anything in that area, because the infra sucks).

Very wide sidewalks, but the lack of bike lanes is odd. Another metre should have been transferred from sidewalk to bike lane, but that not having been done won't stop me though. I don't mind taking over the lane with my bike when need be. Front should end up being quieter on this stretch than other streets where I've fit in with traffic.

Not for another week or two.

Now you guys want protected bike lanes. You have a safe space when before there was nothing and that's not enough anymore?

Wow. I remember a time when cyclists could ride on the roads with the rest of the cars without demanding their bike lanes. Do we need bicycle lanes on every single road now? No? Well why do we need them on these quiet roads?

Back