Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

Hydro dug up sections of new sidewalks around us. When we enquired, we were told that they are required to replace them back to original state. However, we then pointed out that similar cuts had been made over a year ago and the sidewalk still wasn't back to its original state, and in fact, the "temporary" repair of asphalt had sunk, making a trip hazard. So from what I can see, there is a requirement, but it doesn't necessarily come with a timeline. :(:confused:

I keep belabouring this point, but I don't understand why the city doesn't mandate replacing the paving stones as they were.

In most of the world, when you see paving stones and work needs to be done underneath, the workers carefully remove the old stones (and pile them neatly nearby); dig, replace, do the needful, and close it all off and put the stones back in. Only in Toronto did I hear this ridiculously stupid excuse of 'letting the ground settle'.

Our sidewalks tend to be cast in place concrete. It cracks really easily. I've seen a few times paving stones removed, work done and, promptly replaced in Toronto.

Such pessimists on this site! Toronto will always be repairing rebuilding.

It's only a few guys and they have their entertainment value. The biggest is a vampire. Comes with the territory.

Our sidewalks tend to be cast in place concrete. It cracks really easily. I've seen a few times paving stones removed, work done and, promptly replaced in Toronto.
That's the exception, not the rule, which is the point we're trying to make.

If you dig up a concrete sidewalk, pour a new slab after using that pressure hammer thing to settle the ground.

If you dig up decorative paving stones, do the same! It's not rocket science if the rest of the world does it.

The city is 'allowing' utilities to cheaply patch it in with asphalt under the guise that it's to allow the ground to settle.. That's the biggest BS story I've heard! So the rest of the world is just not as aware of these problems as Toronto? The ground also doesn't need to settle for over a year.

I know it'll never happen, but wouldn't granite be the best material to use for our sidewalks? The initial costs would be huge, but wouldn't it last forever (centuries, at least)? Would it not withstand our freeze/thaw cycles better than anything, thus making maintenance/repair virtually unnecessary?

If not granite sidewalks, wouldn't heating every sidewalk in the city (hugely expensive, no doubt) also prevent slabs from bulging and cracking, again, prolonging the life of sidewalks for an indefinite period of time? Wouldn't that save money in the long run? Salting would also be superfluous.

Lastly, how about rubber sidewalks, curbs, etc? Why do we keep using a material that doesn't hold up well in our climate?

I believe the city used granite to pave the sidewalk in front of June Callwood Park along Fleet Street. Every slab along the entire stretch is cracked; it happened shortly after installation, likely caused by being installed incorrectly.

January 5, 2016:

Taken during my walkabout Corktown Common and Underpass Park:

Mill Street looking west from Bayview Avenue

The Pavillion

The West Don Lands neighbourhood looks striking at night with the city skyline as a backdrop.

From the wet side of Corktown Common - looking east beyond the train tracks to the BMW dealership.

Though Underpass Pass Park may be deserted on this frigid evening, the wall murals come alive at night

No one is moving in until Spring.

Back