Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

I live here, and it is definitely getting more lively. The students at the George Brown residence have added some street presence, and the opening of Souk and Dark Horse have provided some destinations in the area (Souk is almost always busy when I go in, which is frequently). A large commercial space has opened up for lease as well in the Canary Park building, and if that is filled in with a restaurant or (more needed) grocery store, that will also move things along.

All that said, I doubt the area will seem fully "lived-in" until more of the empty lots are actually developed, but it is coming along.

Still looks dead. I visit this neighbourhood regularly for my job and it always looks empty.
I regularly jog though this area and the park, it's getting better. A little slower with the cooler weather now. Mostly all the times I'm around the kid park is busy and I'm seeing more activity around the retail on the main strip. This is a new neighbourhood and will take time to flourish. It has an amazing foundation and the city planned the street level presence really well. Really love jogging around here with the street art and park.

Is there anything planed for that large open are by the TTC lop that they used fro the world cup of hockey stuff or is it just going to be used for events like that cause it seems like wasted space ether way?

Is there anything planed for that large open are by the TTC lop that they used fro the world cup of hockey stuff or is it just going to be used for events like that cause it seems like wasted space ether way?

It has been set aside for future residential development.

A large commercial space has opened up for lease as well in the Canary Park building, and if that is filled in with a restaurant or (more needed) grocery store, that will also move things along.

I don't think that space is big enough for a grocery store, I think that's destined to be another restaurant with a patio on the west side adjacent to Tannery Road. The area will eventually need a grocery store, when I walk through there I often wonder what the old warehouses are destined for. Those would be interesting if they could be repurposed into a grocery store similar to the Longo's in Leaside.

The space isn't big enough for a full-sized grocery store, but it could probably house a Rabba or some other larger convenience store. But I agree that it is far more likely to be a restaurant.

Apparently we need a Shoppers on every corner, to go with the Starbucks on every other corner.

There is an actual pharmacy in the neighbourhood on King, but it's small and doesn't carry a lot of over the counter stuff.

I am presuming that in the long term these shortcomings will be corrected when more buildings with more retail spaces go in.

I thought the plan here was to go with special retail (aka not chain) so not sure how something like Shoppers would fit in.
I suppose it depends on what counts as a chain -- the current retail includes Dark Horse, Tabulé, and Sukothai, all of which have other outlets, and the Running Room, which has a lot of stores in the US and Canada.

I noticed that the street level retail units at 75 Cooperage (fronting on to the north side of Front) now also have big window wraps announcing retail leasing availability.

No one in their right mind wouldn't lease out to chains. Seems to be a pretty good list so far.

Back