Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

I'm fine agreeing to disagree, but you've raised specific points that I feel the need to refute (and, frankly, you're starting to make unfounded and subjective accusations). Parsing out a few points:

1) The street infrastructure as it pertains to the lack of adequate cycle infrastructure *is* finished, and that's what I'm taking exception to. Frankly, infrastructural elements such as bike rings don't rank highly on my list of priorities because they're not essential safety measures (obviously); protected cycle lanes, on the other hand, are essential safety measures.

2) There's no accurate parallel to the QQ criticism whatsoever for a few key reasons: A) I was from the start, and still am, an avid defender of the complete streets they rolled out there which, of course, feature good cycle infrastructure insofar as protection is enabled by the raising and separating of cycle tracks from the flow of traffic and transit; B) The main streets *are* finished, and it includes none of the essential traffic calming measures central to the concept of a woonerf. I don't think we, as a caring populace, should accept the creation of extensive public infrastructure that we know to be flawed from a design perspective and simply wait and see how things unfold—we know what internationally accepted best practices are in those regards and to make improvements after the fact adds cost, time, and complexity unnecessarily.

Moreover, if you were to look back through my comments about this neighbourhood, you'll see there is ample praise for the work done here and the community it will create, and indeed that I have come to the defense of multiple aspects of it both individually and collectively. Simply, I believe the creation of both this and the QQ communities to be net positives for our city. Pointing out perceived deficiencies in an overall excellent product doesn't make me sour grapes, it makes me an advocate for even greater standards and better final products—in my books, that's the type of voice that, in some small way, positively contributes to progress.

3) If we apply a high standard of critical quality assessment to the provisions for cyclists that currently exist in the neighbourhood, yes, they amount to "no infrastructure"—plainly, a bunch of painted lines on a road do not constitute adequate cycling protection; how could they? It is absolutely beyond refute to suggest that protected cycle lanes greatly enhance the safety of cyclists—there is mountains of data to support that assertion. Similar to my second point, why have we here created a neighbourhood from scratch without best in class design standards for infrastructure that supports all types of movement? That I do not, and I feel we as a community, should not accept.

You seem to imply that the creation of a tunnel and bike ramp should somehow satisfy a desire for a complete network of adequate cycle infrastructure—what a bizarre construct. City-building shouldn't be a box-ticking exercise, where we find ourselves fully content once a certain minimum level of achievement is attained. Imagine applying that same logic to vehicular infrastructure; in 20whatever, when we have a rebuilt Gardiner East, envision a stretch of the road where, say, street signs, streetlights, curbs, and lane markings are all absent; could you reasonably expect folks to be content with such half measures? The same level of completeness of vehicular infrastructure that has come to be accepted as normal should be the insisted upon requirement in our creation of cycle infrastructure.

I suppose this is all for not, though, as your last attempt at a biting comment—"I'd rank it right up there with 'the buildings are too grey'"—illustrates that you're more interested in that sort of thing than in partaking in an objective and measured discussion or debate. Without giving this particular quip more time than it deserves, A) On this very thread, I have defended the "greyness" and the architecture itself; and B) Attempting to reduce my argument in this way amounts to a deliberate attempt to ignore the data-backed facts that form the basis of my points, and it's that which in my opinion reveals your true colours.

Net-net, this is a wonderful neighbourhood and we are all better for its presence both now and in the future, and I'm thankful that, for the most part, the city and WT did this the "right way." I've already enjoyed touring around it on foot, on cycle, and in my car, and I look forward to doing so time and again in the future.

Now, will I ever—in this or any case—cease my advocacy for more complete streets that protect individuals using all modes of transportation? No. On that point, I will never stop fighting. And I know many will thank me for that.

I'm familiar with woonerfs, and you're right, there are lots of good reads on the WT site, but there are issues with the direct application of that terminology to the streets here, in my eyes.

The intent of woonerfs is to create spaces where pedestrians (and, to a lesser extent, cyclists) take priority and vehicles are relegated to guest status; here, there really aren't any design measures that will demonstrably slow the pace of traffic, which is essential in the creation of effective woonerfs insofar as traffic is slowed. Traffic measures such as narrow streets, curbs, benches, or planters that jot out into the traffic, and bends of the street itself are all commonplace in the (mostly) European examples. None of those elements exists in this case

Yep. It's really just the absence of curbs. Still far too easy to zip through in a straight line.

http://blog.waterfrontoronto.ca

WT has a good blog piece on the woonerfs and how they'll be primarily pedestrian and cycle friendly. The bike paths along the rail tracks are cycle only. The fact that Front has no separate bike lane is on purpose. There's no bike rings installed, but no parking either. What would make WDL more bike friendly?

No, the paths along the rail tracks are for pedestrians too.

Yep. It's really just the absence of curbs. Still far too easy to zip through in a straight line.

Precisely. And, on the main drag, there *are* curbs, which renders it essentially just a normal street with fancy pavers. It's essentially the same as Yorkville Ave.

IMG_5287.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5287.JPG
    IMG_5287.JPG
    470.3 KB · Views: 443
Erm, there are bike lanes along Bayview, Mill and Cherry.

Road paint does not constitute safe or adequate cycling infrastructure—protected lanes are required for safety. The historical evolution of the terminology we use in North America obfuscates the debate—"bike lanes", insofar as we use that term to describe the existence of green and/or white paint on the road, provide the illusion of cycle infrastructure, but that doesn't mean it's adequate.

Road paint does not constitute safe or adequate cycling infrastructure—protected lanes are required for safety. The historical evolution of the terminology we use in North America obfuscates the debate—"bike lanes", insofar as we use that term to describe the existence of green and/or white paint on the road, provide the illusion of cycle infrastructure, but that doesn't mean it's adequate.

Even in the context of where it is? A local road in a corner of the core?

Yeah, I'm somewhat sympathetic to the argument that holds that these are less trafficked streets than others in which protected cycle tracks have been installed (parts of Richmond, Adelaide, Wellesley, soon to be Bloor, etc.). For me, though, the counter is the fact that we know protected cycle lanes are an urban design best practice because they dramatically decrease the number and severity of collisions and thus injuries and deaths and significantly increase ridership.

That, combined with the fact that the cost, complexity, and time required to install protected cycle tracks after a wave of construction are all significantly increased, leads me to assert that this is a missed opportunity. There was literally no downside whatsoever to implementing protected cycle infrastructure here, and it could easily have been done, and there is much to be lost. It is simply indisputable that the environment is less safe for cyclists because of that decision, even if the consequences aren't as ruinous as they would be if a similar decision was made in a much busier environment.

They are lanes though, certainly not sharrows. There are only sharrows on Front. You can't claim that there are only sharrows in the area and then get upset when someone corrects you, rightfully.

They are lanes though, certainly not sharrows. There are only sharrows on Front. You can't claim that there are only sharrows in the area and then get upset when someone corrects you, rightfully.

That's not what I've taken exception to—I equate sharrows and painted lanes to be the same thing: paint on roads and not adequate infrastructure. The root of the problem is that most vehicles don't respect the existence of merely painted lines, whether they're sharrows or "lanes." The only adequate protection is separation, and that can come in different forms—via curbing, as has been done on QQ, via bollars, planters, or via other physical forms.

Protection of any form is what I—and many others—were looking for here, especially and crucially, when there was no downside to doing so.

I don't have a problem with painted bike lanes per se - they're in fact often used in the Netherlands where the narrowness or historic character of a city centre street makes segregation difficult - but I guess I expected more from such a highly anticipated project. Protected lanes on Bayview would have been nice and easily incorporated.

Sharrows, on the other hand, are pretty much useless - a token effort to acknowledge cycling without creating space. I find they often mark sections of streets where it's actually a bad idea to ride. It's in the same line of thinking that touted this new area as having a woonerf somewhere - I can't think where it might be, because it should be more than just a bunch of distinctive paving stones and Trolley Crescent falls well short of the mark.

Yep, agree with all of that. For me, it comes down to the fact that there was no downside to opting for the safe and progressive option here, but that option wasn't pursued. And that's a needless miss amongst an otherwise great project in my books.

Wait, what? How did you come to this conclusion with respect to a community where they tunnelled a bike path under the railway line to link up with the most extensive bike trails in the city?

The tunnel was a no brainer, otherwise the park would be completely cut off from the east end by the rail corridor. This on the other hand, is not what I call bike friendly.

IMG_5256.JPG

photo by ADRM

Attachments

• IMG_5256.JPG
    IMG_5256.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 796
Yes, that's a particularly dangerous stretch—that's begging for awful accidents and it was completely avoidable.

If anyone wants to get a look at what bicycle infrastructure should look like, have I got a YouTube channel for you: Bicycle Dutch

Back