Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

ssiguy2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Meanwhile back at the Pan Am Village...................

Actually I prefer the scale of the buildings in the area to the skyscrapers of the Southcore area. They seem to have a lot of interesting architectural features, offer a pedestrian friendly environment, good access to the lake, and are built to a human scale. In short, there clearly has been a lot of effort into making sure this area is not just another CityPlace/McDevelopment.

It's the colour {or complete lack thereof} that I find shocking and unappealing. They want this area to be live/work/play but I can't imagine wanting to open up any business in such a depressing environment save a funeral parlour. Perhaps the colouring is yet to come as part of the finishing of the projects and I certainly hope that is the case but if it's not Torontonians should demand a moratorium on all the rest of the Waterfront area until this issue is quickly addressed before Toronto finds itself with a Waterfront only Stalin could love.

Tony

Member Bio
Reaction score
The amount of grey seems pretty inexcusable but I'm going to wait a little while longer until I declare a disaster. The commons, streetscaping and (hopefully true to the renderings) amount of green roofs could go a long way towards adding some colour to the neighbourhood. I agree though, not looking great right now.

typezed

Member Bio
Reaction score
Won't the neighbouring heritage buildings give some color and contrast to the new development? I'm referring the buildings of the Distillery, the couple buildings on Cherry (old hotel and the one up against the track overpass?) and the warehouses on Eastern. I've only seen this development in pictures, but I don't really understand the depth of the criticism. I like seeing more mid-rise structures, and will gladly sacrifice some architectural flair for housing affordability. I don't know that following some standard practices instead of giving each building unique architectural twists necessarily leads us to commie towers. (Nothing here looks particularly bad to me, but I'm no expert.) I'd expect this development to be a tremendous boost to the area, mostly because the Distillery will no longer be an out of the way terminus, become less touristy and more part of the daily fabric.

ponyboy

Member Bio
Reaction score
the birds eye view of this new neighbourhood does emphasize the grey, but i suspect that the street-level view will have a field of vision less occupied by the grey and more by the green and heritage brick. It will get better when the trees grow, people move in, and public art is installed. Hopefully most of the remaining buildings can deviate from the grey theme.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have no problem with using black bricks in the current round of buildings - with the proviso that the remaining buildings in WDL avoid that material entirely. Otherwise we'd be getting our own Gothic Quarter.

AoD

salsa

Member Bio
Reaction score
Then turn either right or left and look at the green. A slightly broader perspective could do you a world of good.
I was on my way to somewhere else so I didn't have time to look around much. But overall I'm not too optimistic judging by some of the photos that others have posted. I like the green however it only lasts for half a year.

skorji

Member Bio
Reaction score
I agree that the monotony of colour pallets and architectural styles in this town is bordering on ridiculous. It is less of an issue where we see the occasional infill development, but something else entirely when building out entire districts like this.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's something I have thought a bit about - to be fair, is it just an artifact of the current age? I mean, vast chunks of the city is built of red brick as the go to material and we don't seem to react as negatively to it - in fact, we value the historicity of that monotony.

AoD

skorji

Member Bio
Reaction score
Very true - this is symptomatic of design / development practices of the current time and place. In that sense, it isn't unlike any other building cycle. My main concern is that this particular building cycle has been disproportionate in duration and scale to most previous cycles in Toronto, therefore exacerbating the issues associated with the perception of monotony. It would be less likely in previous building cycles, for instance, to witness the development of an entire mid-rise neighbourhood the scale of the West Don Lands. In particular instances like this, I just think special attention should be given to ensuring a certain degree of variety, as this stock of buildings will stand for quite some time with very limited opportunities for infill over the course of the life of the buildings, as the district will essentially be built-out in a short period of time.

typezed

Member Bio
Reaction score
Aren't there Ontario universities with concentrations of Brutalist buildings due to the time they were built and expanded? We might take a different approach now, but they're of their time.

The building pictured above suffers from being isolated. In this picture it looks like it's in a field fronting a parking lot like some suburban office building. That might not be a fair perspective on it, or it's isolated because it's an early stage in the development. Looks to me like it would fit fine in a streetscape of similar scaled buildings. And they'd benefit from some design coherence. Doesn't mean they can't have colour, but it's just a choice. There is variety nearby with parkland and some heritage buildings.