Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

TheKingEast

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ah yes, Montreal.

... though I guess that's what happens when you let the Mafia develop real estate ...

What is your point exactly? I could come up with a similar picture of a Toronto development.

Montreal's architecture and design blows Toronto's out of the water.

James

Member Bio
Reaction score
I drove by the site this morning and my first impressions were, similar to others, that it looked somewhat...boring. I'll definitely reserve judgment until the project is done before I have a better look at the streetscape to make my final assessment but, all in all, it's a big, bold project and I welcome it to this neighborhood. I do like the new brick road that they added to Cherry Street.

James

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ That picture of the cluster of multiplexes in Montreal is one of the less than stellar examples of architecture in that city. I certainly don't miss it. That said, there's a lot of wonderful examples of architecture in Montreal too, that shouldn't be overlooked. Montreal architecture has good points and bad points, just like any city.

junctionist

Member Bio
Reaction score
What is your point exactly? I could come up with a similar picture of a Toronto development.

Hardly. What little condo development is happening in Montreal right now is generally safe new modernism. Good contemporary architecture is mostly limited to their universities and public institutions. Our 3 universities easily compare. You can show me a handful of good Montreal buildings that are similar to what aA, HP and Teeple are doing project after project, but contemporary construction in Montreal is mostly unremarkable. In the end, no one even cares about a city's new B buildings; it's the L Towers, Absolutes and Gehrys that get people's attention like the cathedrals and ornate bank buildings on St. James Street once did. Montreal hasn't seen any spectacle in architecture in the past few decade at all.

Last edited:

ssiguy2

Member Bio
Reaction score
That video was quite depressing. The greenery is nice but the buildings look are depressing and sterile.

I had very high hopes for Toronto's Waterfront but with the acres of blue glass of Southcore and the grey of this area, I think Toronto has squandered the opportunity of a lifetime and if this is the plan for the rest of the Waterfront area then Toronto will go from having the ugliest to the most monotonous Waterfront on the planet.

Adjei

Member Bio
Reaction score

TheKingEast

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hardly. What little condo development is happening in Montreal right now is generally safe new modernism. Good contemporary architecture is mostly limited to their universities and public institutions. Our 3 universities easily compare. You can show me a handful of good Montreal buildings that are similar to what aA, HP and Teeple are doing project after project, but contemporary construction in Montreal is mostly unremarkable. In the end, no one even cares about a city's new B buildings; it's the L Towers, Absolutes and Gehrys that get people's attention like the cathedrals and ornate bank buildings on St. James Street once did. Montreal hasn't seen any spectacle in architecture in the past few decade at all.
Right. Montreal can't compete with the sea of grey and green glass boxes. Absolute is in Mississauga and Ghery's hasn't even started construction yet.

In addition, I spoke of Montreal's architecture and design cues in general. Not over the last 10-20 years. That's unfair. Toronto has had a massive building boom while Montreal did not. Are you trying to tell me if Montreal was building structures at the rate they're being built here, the best they would be able to do is grey boxes? Entire master planned communities of grey? No bloody way.

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
A general concensus on Canadian forums that Montreal has built little over the past decade is proof enough nothing worth noting or caring about has been included. 20 medium to highrises a year is no slouch.

The amount of grey is a letdown but plenty of opportunities still exist for non Pam Am development to introduce more colour. To declare our waterfront being among the worst "the worst" over the likeness of the district's buildings is a just tad overblown but, sounds good while standing on a soapbox.

Last edited:

old boy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Right. Montreal can't compete with the sea of grey and green glass boxes. Absolute is in Mississauga and Ghery's hasn't even started construction yet.

In addition, I spoke of Montreal's architecture and design cues in general. Not over the last 10-20 years. That's unfair. Toronto has had a massive building boom while Montreal did not. Are you trying to tell me if Montreal was building structures at the rate they're being built here, the best they would be able to do is grey boxes? Entire master planned communities of grey? No bloody way.
We may never know, but if the iconic grey boxes that proliferate in booming Toronto today allow architects to cut their teeth, then maybe Montreal architecture can benefit when, and if, there's interest enough to build there. There's a segment of posters that always revert to casting Montreal in a better light than Toronto, no matter what the topic is.

Tony

Member Bio
Reaction score
Can you guys please take this discussion to another thread. If it has nothing to do with updates regarding the Pan Am village it doesn't need to be here.

Thanos

Member Bio
Reaction score

Sorry but Montreal's aluminum balcony railings in there new midrise condos are a disaster. And btw, since we're talking about Montreal guess what brick color will be seen in almost every single new condo in Griffintown.....grey.
And if you want to see Montreal's master planned developments take a walk to Le Triangle. I've never seen uglier crap in my entire life.

Last edited:

Adjei

Member Bio
Reaction score

Not to talk less of their public squares and public realm which puts ours to shame. We can learn a lot from the likes of Montreal instead of sticking our heads in the sand.

Red October

Member Bio
Reaction score
Are you trying to tell me if Montreal was building structures at the rate they're being built here, the best they would be able to do is grey boxes? Entire master planned communities of grey? No bloody way.
I think you see Montreal in a much better light than reality. Comes off as very "grass is greener".

Toronto has blown Montreal out of the water for the past 40 years in terms of both volume and design. You see the sea of green glass condos and think that's all Toronto is, when in reality Montreal builds the same stuff, it's just not as prevalent because they don't build very much. If you took Montreal's best and Toronto's best from 1970-present you'd see what really happened.