Toronto Pan Am Village in the West Don Lands | ?m | ?s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

We complain about Cityplace and liberty village being missed opportunities, then we go and do the same crap with this area. Why this aversion to color? Makes no sense.

Haha right...the way i see it, these areas were dumps and the arm pit of the city, today they are new dynamic neighbourhoods with diversity...what more can you ask for:confused:

Grey brick was a welcome change. When used tastefully it looks great. But when you use grey brick, grey spandrel, grey trim, grey streets, grey sidewalks, etc to build an entire community, it's a bit much. Red brick would have been a better option. At least it's warmer color. Too much of anything is never a good thing. I'm sure green and blue glass was welcomed until it showed up in every condo for a decade+.

We complain about Cityplace and liberty village being missed opportunities, then we go and do the same crap with this area. Why this aversion to color? Makes no sense.

Honestly cityplace has more differing tones then the Pan Am village ... at least so far ... I think you need to give city place some credit, yes some brick would help, but some of the buildings are quite a bit different then others.
Liberty Village does have a lot more red brick, so again, I think its hard to fault it for this.

I agree though, there must be something more optimal, a mixture / combination.

I find downtown Markham, at least so far, suffers from this as well, the buildings are too similar.

I agree with the too much grey but, it's at the point of spamming this thread and other threads. We have enough of that with overhead wires. There is still hope with future phases. I also find some of the grey works well with the heritage buildings. I actually prefer the grey George Brown.

Yellow and grey look fantastic together. Not sure why both Canary District projects couldn't do something along the lines of Charlie, which is the correct way to do a grey building.

Haha right...the way i see it, these areas were dumps and the arm pit of the city, today they are new dynamic neighbourhoods with diversity...what more can you ask for:confused:

Who cares if they were dumps? Does that mean a developer has the right to produce crap? My thing is if you're going to do something, do it to the best of your ability. Not half-assed and that seems to happen a lot here. I'm not even asking for some world class design or top notch materials. I just want some color. I know this city is conservative as hell but you can still be conservative while using color. The place is called Canary District and it's all grey. Only in Toronto. LOL

I agree with the too much grey but, it's at the point of spamming this thread and other threads. We have enough of that with overhead wires. There is still hope with future phases. I also find some of the grey works well with the heritage buildings. I actually prefer the grey George Brown.
Agreed. As WT removed all the wires on Old Eastern Avenue, Cherry, in the West Don Lads and Lower River I find it very odd - and unfortunate - that nobody forced Hydro to bury the wires on St Lawrence Street - there are not many and it really is a lost opportunity.

March 30. I'm really looking forward to getting closer to these buildings.

13521577975_f91e0ccd93_d.jpg
13521650833_aaa1dccecb.jpg

13521661323_2a80ebeaff_c.jpg

13521654933_52234bd937_c.jpg

13521643323_8a8bb6ed66_b.jpg

13521549565_20424ebc5e.jpg
13521861774_268404fea5.jpg

13521630603_f29f772894_c.jpg

Thanks! The first two pictures show the correct way trees need to be planted in the city. There needs to be sufficient width around the trees to capture enough water in order for them to properly grow. Compare that with the last picture, look how small the width is around those trees. Doesn't give them much to thrive in an urban environment.

For all those gasping for colour in this neighbourhood, the circular roof things are being painted a nice shade of vomit green... They don't look too bad in Hypnotoad's photos but in person they're far from appealing.

I don't have a pic but if any of you have seen the new sidewalk in Markham on Hi-way 7 ( for the rapid way ) I would have preferred that, it is much more colorful then the above, and the trees each have a ornamental orange grate on them. I'll try to find a pic.

Don't get me wrong for Toronto the above is great as well.

I don't have a pic but if any of you have seen the new sidewalk in Markham on Hi-way 7 ( for the rapid way ) I would have preferred that, it is much more colorful then the above, and the trees each have a ornamental orange grate on them. I'll try to find a pic.

Don't get me wrong for Toronto the above is great as well.

I assume you mean this, and I totally agree with you:

Last edited:

Back