Toronto Ontario Square and Canada Square | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I'm not a fan of astro turf either but real grass in these locations is just not realistic unless they fence it off to pedestrians. You could never maintain real grass while allowing access. Furthermore, I don't think you could restrict access to the grass if you even wanted to what with the hords of people down there in the summer time.

I'm not a fan of astro turf either but real grass in these locations is just not realistic unless they fence it off to pedestrians. You could never maintain real grass while allowing access. Furthermore, I don't think you could restrict access to the grass if you even wanted to what with the hords of people down there in the summer time.

Is the grassy area here going to be used differently than say the grassy area at HTO?

Tons of school children come to Harbourfront Centre on weekdays for school trips...hence why the site had to be bus friendly and kid friendly, too. I think they have done a fantastic job of accomodating all interests here, regardless of the absence of a water feature lol.

The HTO parks aren't that touristy and it's mostly locals in condos who use them and the grass is for the dogs

Last edited:

I was there yesterday. Maybe it was just all the tents and other temporary huts, but I was not impressed at all with this addition to the waterfront. It looked like just a few patches of astro turf. Will wait to see it fully open without temporary structures on top to pass final judgement.

Saw it my self ... you know its pretty nice yea ... the only thing, I wish the benches were different (more like the others used by WT).

The cafe facing QQ is bound to be a huge hit along with the 3 containers with food (i.e. rock lobster / ...).

I'm curious, so in the long term there is suppose to be "cultural village", where the heck would that go, on the outside there isn't really any room in the park, and on the outside there is a bit of parking for taxis, not really sure where it would fit.

I'm sorry but when you sit at the opening of a new park and 30 minutes goes by without anybody taking a single picture of that park, it kind of tells you something. It's nice, as a local park but this is not a head-turner. I was not feeling too impressed but hey, it's better than a parking lot, right? Waterfront Toronto needs to stop calling it "spectacular" and just tell us, we are lucky to even have what we got. We don't need hyperbole in Toronto, we need big thinkers, with new ideas. The "Creative City" needs to get a little more creative.

I was there yesterday. Maybe it was just all the tents and other temporary huts, but I was not impressed at all with this addition to the waterfront. It looked like just a few patches of astro turf. Will wait to see it fully open without temporary structures on top to pass final judgement.

The whole point of the astroturf is to accommodate temporary structures!

One of the problems (or maybe the charms?) of Harbourfront is that it was planned and built in such a haphazard way over such a long period of time that it lacks clarity in both its layout and its mandate. The Federal Liberals promised to build a cultural/recreational area back in 1972 and after over 40 years it's still not completed. It's hard to produce a really great public space in the midst of all that confusion.

And while I'm sure most Torontonians couldn't tell you exactly what Harbourfront is or what it's supposed to do, there's no arguing about the fact that people love to be down there. Canada/Ontario park will add to the enjoyment.

Last edited:
Canada Square will also likely be far more impressive when the redwoods mature -- they can get up to 200 feet tall.

What was supposed to be there and what is there is a real downer.

Didn't get much for those millions of $$$$. Still nice to see the parking gone.
9218998053_540bae5643_b.jpg

9221801924_1dece90d87_b.jpg

9221802032_6b7d32c613_b.jpg

9218972159_12c95f6747_b.jpg

Flowers instead of green plants should help the look of this very uninspiring "thing". A nice round fountain would've been nice as well.

Back