Toronto Ontario Square and Canada Square | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

A public square should emphasize an open, paved space that's programmable, though it can still have a lot of greenery. The classic "program" for a square is a marketplace or for ceremonies (political or religious).

IMG_4728_1-XL.jpg

IMG_4729_1-XL.jpg

Looking great. Was hoping that they were going to move all the photography here and really open up the vista to the lake.

The Redwoods are certainly beautiful and majestic.

I'm guessing that the squares are going to be fully open for either the Waterfront Fest this weekend or for Canada Day! :D

Rivercity:

MONDAY
JULY 1

01:00pm - 02:00pm

Canada Stage at Harbourfront Centre just south of Queens Quay next to Queen’s Quay Terminal
Contact/RSVP: info@waterfrontoronto.ca
Phone: 416-214-1344 ext.276

Official Opening of Canada Square

Please join Waterfront Toronto and Harbourfront Centre as we celebrate the official opening of Canada Square, an impressive lakeside plaza and important new landmark on Toronto’s waterfront.

The official opening of Canada Square is part of Canada Day weekend festivities at Harbourfront Centre which include dance, music, food and family activities all weekend long.

Date: Canada Day – Monday, July 1, 2013
Time: 12:30pm – music begins; official opening ceremony begins at 1pm
Location: Canada Stage at Harbourfront Centre just south of Queens Quay next to Queen’s Quay Terminal
Transit: 509 bus from Union Station (exit at the Lower Simcoe stop)
Parking: Paid underground parking is available at Harbourfront Centre (235 Queens Quay West, enter at Lower Simcoe Street)

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/

AoD

"impressive lakeside plaza and important new landmark"? Not from what I saw today. Sorry, I am not impressed. Sure, the redwood trees are nice and different (for Toronto) but over-all, I'm not impressed with what I see, especially north of the redwoods and Ontario Square. I'm still trying to figure out its purpose, as there is no reason for it, except as a parking lot. Canada square, where the redwoods are, is much smaller then I thought it would be. The new astroturf takes up much more of the space and it ain't too pretty an area. My expectations were so much higher than what I see right now. Maybe my standards of beauty are just so much higher then Waterfront Toronto and Harbourfront. I hope at least these spaces are well used as event spaces and other attractions. That might make up for the unimpressive design. I sure hope those redwood trees grow tall really fast.

The east side of the Harbourfront building is also being renovated, so that's good to see. This building really isn't much of a looker either, so it needs all the help it can get.

Last edited:
"impressive lakeside plaza and important new landmark"? Not from what I saw today. Sorry, I am not impressed. Sure, the redwood trees are nice and different (for Toronto) but over-all, I'm not impressed with what I see, especially north of the redwoods and Ontario Square. I'm still trying to figure out its purpose, as there is no reason for it, except as a parking lot. Canada square, where the redwoods are, is much smaller then I thought it would be. The new astroturf takes up much more of the space and it ain't too pretty an area. My expectations were so much higher than what I see right now. Maybe my standards of beauty are just so much higher then Waterfront Toronto and Harbourfront. I hope at least these spaces are well used as event spaces and other attractions. That might make up for the unimpressive design. I sure hope those redwood trees grow tall really fast.

The east side of the Harbourfront building is also being renovated, so that's good to see. This building really isn't much of a looker either, so it needs all the help it can get.

I think one thing to keep in mind is this is temporary to a certain degree, recall the second phase is the market village, with a lot more retail lining the edge, only the grass / trees are permentant

An update for those of us who ARE impressed with these new and awesome spaces:

June 20th

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

As mentioned above, Canada Square opens July 1st, while Ontario Square opens this Sunday:

Per Harbourfront Centre, "Ontario Square is a new celebratory public space – inspired by the natural beauty of Ontario – at the centre of our revitalized site.

All are welcome to attend the grand opening, June 23rd at 2pm, by the Honourable Kathleen Wynne, Premier of Ontario, and the Honourable Michael Chan, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport.

Join us for the celebration, including special music performances, family activities and more!"

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Is that grass real? I was walking past on Queens Quay today, and it looked like the same fake turf that's 'planted' on the other side of harbourfront center.

lol, not sure if classy is the right word, but it certainly looked great and is super practical here. I felt like playing baseball on it...:p

I'm sure it's practical, and if you squint really hard it kind of looks like real grass. To me at least, fake turf used outside of sports fields has always seemed a bit tacky. It also reminds me of the building just two minutes west of there that had fake turf on the roof catch fire a couple years ago... billowing clouds of black smoke that I could see up as far as Downsview station.

Thanks RC.

I find the unit paving for both the Ontario and Canada Squares wanting - they didn't match the quality of the West 8/DTAH promenade, at least visually speaking (I am fairly certain they've used granite for Canada Square, but it still doesn't look quite right by my books).

And while I understand the design rationale for the black paving at Ontario Square (contrast w the white for the cracked ice look), I am sure it would create a bit of a heat island effect.

AoD

Forgot to mention that the large mural photographs on the exterior of the parking structure entrance/exit are top notch. Very Canadian scenes indeed ;)

Hope that people can check out the Tall Ships this weekend during the Redpath Waterfront Festival. The Parade of Sail should be pretty amazing!

p.s. Once construction is complete on QQ, we are going to be very proud of our central waterfront. It's looking better and better all the time. I overheard people commenting about how much it's improved since they were last there lol.

Back