Toronto Ontario Square and Canada Square | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I wouldn't even think of comparing Hudson River Park to this park. For one they had much less land to work with, and I still think their final product turned out way better than this. It's also much nicer that they have peirs that take the park goers out onto the water, and the small berm (grassy knoll) provides great sepatation from the Westside Highway.

??? HRP is like 500 acres?

I dunno if ours will be as good as any comparable part of HRP. We'll see. My point was just a lot people will use a good waterside park, even if it doesn't have a fountain or other big attraction.

When Canada Square was first conceived, I believe it was planned with a monument and a water channel, that led down to the lake. What happened? What happened to the monument and water feature? They both seemed to have disappeared, just like the planned water feature in H2O Park. Why is it, we don't have a single fountain or water feature in Harbourfront, (besides the pond, which is off limits to the public) that Torontonians can cool off in, on hot summer days? We have the lake right there but no way to access it and not a single amenity that provides contact with water. I think that's nuts. Harbourfront needs a fountain, splash pad or something.

It's funny, Ford wants a splash pad in NPS, when they already have those new water jets in the square, to cool off in, yet Harbourfront, which has no water feature, gets no attention at all from Ford. We can look at the water, we just can't touch it.

Last edited:
Well Rome wasn't built in a day! I'm just glad to see the adding of trees and other improvements. Future generations can always add to it (monuments etc) or upgrade to granite etc.

This is what I call a "smart" park. Looks great in the renders (oh so smart designers) and some of them actually animate themselves (Sugar Beach?)... but ultimately too "clever" on the drafting board and very unimaginative in terms of engaging the locals and the tourists (yes the locals have to live with this).

It would be easy to forget about these unengaging spaces, except we just had to give them the grand names of "Canada Square" and "Ontario Square". Canada's largest city should obviously create a "Canada Square" that is an impressive and vibrant urban space. Change the name to recognize some local schmo that no one knows about because that seems to be the extent of the achievement of creating these spaces. (Even the locals might not like them that much.)

It would be easy to forget about these unengaging spaces, except we just had to give them the grand names of "Canada Square" and "Ontario Square". Canada's largest city should obviously create a "Canada Square" that is an impressive and vibrant urban space. Change the name to recognize some local schmo that no one knows about because that seems to be the extent of the achievement of creating these spaces. (Even the locals might not like them that much.)

Cmon, the names just tell you who paid for it, right?

??? Hrp is like 500 acres?

I dunno if ours will be as good as any comparable part of hrp. We'll see. My point was just a lot people will use a good waterside park, even if it doesn't have a fountain or other big attraction.

thats because it runs from battery park city to 42 st

I think fountains are high maintenance. The deep freeze and thaw must not be easy on the pipes. Then the expenses to maintain it would also be too much on the city. But at least I agree that we can have one nice water feature.

I think fountains are high maintenance. The deep freeze and thaw must not be easy on the pipes. Then the expenses to maintain it would also be too much on the city. But at least I agree that we can have one nice water feature.

They seem to manage to maintain them everywhere else in the universe?

Just got back from traveling across France. They have fountains everywhere. Visited Montpellier. A beautiful city with a new neighborhood built full of fountains. Huge fountains and water features. Loved it. The temperature never goes down to below freezing. Now tell me...which countries in the universe get the deep freezes and thaws that canada gets and has lots of fountains. Even the scandinavian cities dont get our deep freezes. I didn't say it can't be done, it's just very costly...that's all. And I don't think toronto will want to deal with that expense. So they don't build it.

Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City and Moscow come to mind. Granted they don't have that many fountains but the ones they have are in good working condition, something Toronto can't say.

Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City and Moscow come to mind. Granted they don't have that many fountains but the ones they have are in good working condition, something Toronto can't say.

I don't recall Ottawa having a decent fountain...

Maybe that's why the salmon fountain at CN tower never works.

I don't recall Ottawa having a decent fountain...

Maybe that's why the salmon fountain at CN tower never works.
The leaping salmon fountain is supposedly being repaired It apparently leaks into the Convention Centre and/or Rogers Centre - possibly due to frost damaged pipes - which are encased in concrete.

I live in Ottawa and can't think of a single fountain in the city....at least in the city centre. Besides the Centennial Flame on the Hill of course

Back