Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

You called a building a pigs trough? you discredited yourself lol
...isn't it, lol?

I mean, I'm not the one denying that this isn't likely to benefit the public here...which is generally understood. So it's not an unreasonable or an exaggerated conclusion by any stretch to call it that (being succinct =/= hyperbole) ...save from alt-facts types that think this is a good idea. Discredited, indeed!

Reactions: T3G
...the thing is this wouldn't be so bad if this where all a public greenhouse and bird atrium that's access comes with the cost of entering OP. Instead, it's a glass enclosed pigs trough that takes up absurd amount of public real estate. /sigh
Not quite sure what you mean by "comes with the cost of entering OP". There will be no fee for entering OP itself. The cost will be for entering Therme's portion which will sit on part of the west island.

Not quite sure what you mean by "comes with the cost of entering OP". There will be no fee for entering OP itself. The cost will be for entering Therme's portion which will sit on part of the west island.
It used to be that you would pay a fee at the door to get in that would cover everything. I think in the opinion it should go to some of the operating coverage here...

...but I am entirely open for it being all free. <3

Toronto will investigate how to keep the Ontario Science Centre where it is, with councillors asking staff to look into a number of possible options including setting up the tourist attraction under city ownership.

On Thursday, city council voted 21-3 in favour of exploring the feasibility of keeping the centre in its current location, including any potential cash that can be raised from event rentals. Coun. Josh Matlow brought the motion to council to push back against Premier Doug Ford's plan to relocate the centre downtown on the site of Ontario Place.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-science-centre-toronto-study-1.6914151

It used to be that you would pay a fee at the door to get in that would cover everything. I think in the opinion it should go to some of the operating coverage here...

...but I am entirely open for it being all free. <3
No one is going to turn down "completely free" but as you allude to, operating (& maintenance) costs need to come from somewhere. The way I see the new model, those entering Therme or Live Nation will effectively be subsidizing those who only want to access the grounds & trails. It allows the waterfront trail to be continuous & unbroken.

Toronto will investigate how to keep the Ontario Science Centre where it is, with councillors asking staff to look into a number of possible options including setting up the tourist attraction under city ownership.

On Thursday, city council voted 21-3 in favour of exploring the feasibility of keeping the centre in its current location, including any potential cash that can be raised from event rentals. Coun. Josh Matlow brought the motion to council to push back against Premier Doug Ford's plan to relocate the centre downtown on the site of Ontario Place.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-science-centre-toronto-study-1.6914151
I hope this works!🍀 I like much of the new OP re-imagining plan, but not moving the OSC!

No one is going to turn down "completely free" but as you allude to, operating (& maintenance) costs need to come from somewhere. The way I see the new model, those entering Therme or Live Nation will effectively be subsidizing those who only want to access the grounds & trails. It allows the waterfront trail to be continuous & unbroken.
The free business could be done with direct sustained funding from the government, as they should be in this not to make money...being public land and all.

However, they have decided to make a "deal with the private Devil" to offset the costs of running this. The problem being is the assumption that this deal will make money for them to actually cover it...and this is where things get dodgy with this approach, to put it mildly. Particularly for something that requires an awful lot of real estate here to be used as a sacrifice here. /sigh

Who were the 3 against?

So here's a theory - the whole science center move - which personally I'm am supportive for but ONLY if the same amount of indoor space (preferably more) could be found.
With all that said; I wonder if the province will use this as a tactic - as more pressure from the city comes about not moving the science center, they propose a deal where the city will give the land near Ontario place to the province but they will back track on the plan to move the science center - keeping it where it is (and still operated by the province).

The free business could be done with direct sustained funding from the government, as they should be in this not to make money...being public land and all.

However, they have decided to make a "deal with the private Devil" to offset the costs of running this. The problem being is the assumption that this deal will make money for them to actually cover it...and this is where things get dodgy with this approach, to put it mildly. Particularly for something that requires an awful lot of real estate here to be used as a sacrifice here. /sigh
Yes, they could with direct sustained funding. Except they didn't - none of the parties did over many election cycles. Would you rather it slowly erode away?

Yes, they could with direct sustained funding. Except they didn't - none of the parties did over many election cycles. Would you rather it slowly erode away?
...and the current one is certainly no savior here. Thus, the erosion will likely continue...perhaps in even a more spectacular fashion now.

Back