Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Is this a first for a transit line construction project in the GTA?:

View attachment 542242

'scuse us folks, we may accidentally destroy the local power grid.......
Weird to me - that seems so off topic for a public consultation meeting...

PS - no rendering of Crossing #2? I assume it'll also be a plain box girder style?
There'll be some magnificant views over that whole section of guideway.

When I worked for a utilities company a few years ago, any meeting with more than a small number of attendees (5 or more I believe) had to open with a "Safety Moment" like the one in the MX deck. There was even a folder on the internal SharePoint where you could just download premade ones to add to your deck. They very rarely had anything to do with the subject of the meeting.

It'll be interesting if MX has suddenly decided this is a thing they are gonna do at public consultations, or if it's just an internal practice that accidentally made it's way into a public-facing slide deck.

I’m interested to see the final configuration at Beth Nealson Drive, which is certainly still in a design phase.

IMG_0135.jpeg

Will the track head north ducking under the hydro wires then ascending over Beth Nealson? Surely the tracks entering the OMSF won’t cross at grade.

Perhaps the road will be rebuilt over or under?

I’m interested to see the final configuration at Beth Nealson Drive, which is certainly still in a design phase.

View attachment 542354

Will the track head north ducking under the hydro wires then ascending over Beth Nealson? Surely the tracks entering the OMSF won’t cross at grade.

I really wonder this as well. I feel as though it would be better to be under the road, but no matter what, it's a difficult area for a track with the ravine opening up to the valley further east. I'm sure those footings for the tracks will be quite deep.

It looks like there's a planned connection to the Belleville sub (it's not clear whether this means a direct connection or an unloading track, though FWIW the Crosstown is directly connected to the MacTier sub). Not sure if this has already been discussed in the ~1500 previous pages. If the trains are being built by Hitachi in Italy, it would make sense that they'd be delivered by rail from (probably) the Port of Montreal or Saint John.

It looks like there's a planned connection to the Belleville sub (it's not clear whether this means a direct connection or an unloading track, though FWIW the Crosstown is directly connected to the MacTier sub). Not sure if this has already been discussed in the ~1500 previous pages. If the trains are being built by Hitachi in Italy, it would make sense that they'd be delivered by rail from (probably) the Port of Montreal or Saint John.
Depends what's cheapest I suppose - the Honolulu trains had bodyshells built in Italy, with final assembly in California to meet Buy America standards.

I'm not sure what Canadian content requirements Metrolinx has in the contract...

Last edited:
If the trains are being built by Hitachi in Italy, it would make sense that they'd be delivered by rail from (probably) the Port of Montreal or Saint John.
If they are coming in one or two shipments, I'd ship them all directly to Toronto.

Where does/did Alstom ship the major components of the Flexity to? Though they were dribbling in in smaller quantities - and presumably on ships rather than Antonovs most of the time. (I'd guess the components coming from Mexico and Quebec were coming by rail or truck).

View attachment 542354

Should be road under rail. (page 7)

Untitled.png

Something about the CPKC rail line on this map looks way off (looking at google maps for comparison, the spur branching off west from the mainline doesn't exist anymore, and there's definitely not that many tracks on the mainline in that area, unless the map accounts for any planned expansions of the CPKC network that'll take place concurrently with the OL).

Something about the CPKC rail line on this map looks way off (looking at google maps for comparison, the spur branching off west from the mainline doesn't exist anymore, and there's definitely not that many tracks on the mainline in that area, unless the map accounts for any planned expansions of the CPKC network that'll take place concurrently with the OL).
A lot of mapping data is out of date when it comes to railways I find. However that corridor is still that wide and afaik you can still find traces of that old spur in the area too

Back