Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Can't imagine it'd be super difficult - I think the majority of the station is east of Don Mills.

AoD

Even if it wasn't, Sheppard Station on the DRL could either terminate just south of Sheppard Avenue, or go under Sheppard Line, similar to how Line 2 goes under Line 1 at Bloor-Yonge. I can't see anything particularly challenging about this.

The far bigger challenge would be building the track connections between Sheppard Line and the DRL. The new development in the area could make that impossible

Option 1 - RER Plus (Similar to SmartTrack)
  • This will have higher frequencies (5 to 10 min) on the Richmond Hill/Stoufville/Barrie corridors.
  • New stations and will use electrified vehicles.
  • This option is very similar in nature to SmartTrack, albeit with less stations.
Conclusions:
  • Option has very limited impact
  • would reduce ridership on Yonge Line by 400 pphpd (1.2%)
  • It would reduce ridership on Bloor-Danforth by 100 pphpd
  • $700 Million
  • This option performs poorly and has been eliminated from further consideration

Very interesting results here. This study seems to confirm that Metrolinx is at least looking at northeast extensions. With the North Yonge extension dropping down the priority list, and SmartTrack's Eglinton leg likely to be chopped (it doesn't make much sense), this could be a prime situation for diverting those funds towards a SmartTrack tunnel through downtown, and a SmartTrack/GO RER branch along a re-aligned Richmond Hill line. North of Lawrence, using the RH corridor would drop the cost of any northward extension dramatically.
The study clearly indicates that GO RER Plus (Similar to SmartTrack) along Richmond Hill / Stouffville / Barrie corridors has very limited impact on the Yonge Line, reducing ridership by only 1.2%

I briefly looked at the report and curiously the term Smart Track wasn't used once that I could see.
It certainly was. They evaluated an option called "RER Plus (Similar to SmartTrack)", that would run along the Richmond Hill / Barrie / Stouffville corridors.

Option 1 - RER Plus (Similar to SmartTrack)
  • This will have higher frequencies (5 to 10 min) on the Richmond Hill/Stoufville/Barrie corridors.
  • New stations and will use electrified vehicles.
  • This option is very similar in nature to SmartTrack, albeit with less stations.

The report clearly states that a RER Plus / SmartTrack like service, running at frequencies of 5 - 10 minutes, will only reduce demand on the Yonge Line by 1.2%

To me, that pretty clearly eliminates that option as an option for relieving the Yonge Line. I'm sure that there are many other benefits to such a service, but it seems to be pretty clear that they would both serve different demands.

And as per slide #22, they are looking at fare policy, despite your usual complaints of them not doing so;

Fare Policy to be considered as part of fare and service integration study
• Fare parity with TTC and GO
• Co-Fare GO/TTC/York
• Peak premium (or off-peak discount)

Last edited:
Would something similar to Leslie on Line 4 work? The station would have to be shifted like 200 metres south of the intersection., and a "tunnel" bridge be built under the road (but runs above the river).

Here are the recommendations that were made to the Board;

Recommendations
It is recommended that the Board:

1. Receive the findings of the Yonge Relief Network Study noting that:

a. Significant relief to the Yonge Subway will be achieved with currently committed transit improvements underway including:

i. TTC’s automatic train control and new subway trains;

ii. ii. The Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension; and

iii. iii. GO Regional Express Rail

b. Based on 1(a) above, more rapid transit service and capacity that is currently funded and being implemented will meet the future 15 year demand, assuming current forecasts on the growth rate of downtown employment and the implementation of TTC automatic train control on the Yonge Subway

c. The options to address Yonge Subway capacity in the long term were compared and assessed

i. The Relief Line between the Danforth Subway and Downtown, currently under study by the City of Toronto and TTC, will provide significant relief to the Yonge Subway and Danforth Subway

ii. The extension of the Relief Line to north towards Sheppard Ave East will provide additional positive benefits

2. Direct the Metrolinx CEO to work with the City of Toronto City Manager and the TTC CEO to develop an integrated approach to advance the Relief Line project planning and development, incorporating further business case analysis and the findings of the Yonge Relief Network Study to: – further assess the extension north to Sheppard Avenue East to identify a preferred project concept, – inform the planning underway by the City of Toronto and TTC to identify stations and an alignment for the Relief Line from Danforth to the Downtown area – continue to engage the public in this work as it develops

3. Direct staff to work in consultation with York Region, City of Toronto and the TTC to advance the project development of the Yonge North Subway Extension to 15% preliminary design and engineering;

4. Thank the YRNS Stakeholder Advisory Committee for their commitment, insight, input and advice to the study under the leadership of the co-chairs (Henry J.P. Wiercinski and Dr Pamela Robinson);

5. Thank the YRNS Peer Review Panel (consisting of Dr Jeff Casello, University of Waterloo and Dr Amer Shalaby University of Toronto), for their assistance and advice to the study; and 6. Report back to the Board in Spring 2016 on progress in advancing project planning and development on the Relief Line and Yonge North Subway Extension
Everything that I`ve highlighted clearly indicates that Metrolinx seems to support the current Relief Line being studied by the City of Toronto.

Would something similar to Leslie on Line 4 work? The station would have to be shifted like 200 metres south of the intersection., and a "tunnel" bridge be built under the road (but runs above the river).
I was also thinking what they have done with Castle Frank or Broadview would be a solution. But that's part of the reason why I brought up above ground before.
Yeah, where did $8 billion come from? I've seen conflicting numbers, I thought it was half that.
Tory's mouth. During the campaign.

I know it may look like it from Google Maps, but that intersection is most certainly not a bridge. The two roads do run on embankments North and East of the intersection but that shouldn't be an issue.

Don Mills does cross over the Don shortly north of Moatfield so the line would have to be tunneled somewhat deeply.

Back