Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Steven De Luca lost his own riding in the last election and has a weak track record. Probably one of the worse track records for a Liberal Party Leader in modern history. Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) Ford will win the next election easily as many polls predict. Covid-19 has bolstered Fords support. Point is Ontario Line and Eglinton West will happen. Steven De Luca doesn't want to extend the line until Eglinton which makes 0 sense when a 5 billion crosstown line will be operating within 25-30 months. Thousands of people will be pissed if he doesn't bring the line to Eglinton. Over 100 high rise condos are currently under proposal on Eglinton Avenue which will be built within 10 years meaning Eglinton Crosstown will be overcrowded and relief line will be a must by then.

Last edited:
I figure it's more than likely he will be a two-term Premier at this point.

Ontario Liberals seem to not want to return to governing given their leadership choices.

I'd say the Eglinton West LRT is at high risk of cancelation as well.

Agreed. The business case for Eg West LRT was very weak prior to COVID. An adjusted business case for new post-covid work-from-home ridership (almost certainly lower) would let Ford kill it without backlash; particularly if that money go into new hospital construction instead. Post-SARS hospitals had far fewer outbreaks due to significantly improved airflow design.

The business case for the DRL or Ontario Line might actually get a boost if riders demand additional personal space in the future. North American passenger packing was already on the more comfortable end of the scale. Reduced Yonge capacity makes Yonge relief more urgent, even with lower demand; future demand predictions were well beyond line capacity so reduced demand would still be beyond capacity.

Returning to a TTC rolling stock (and yard) would, I suspect, fundamentally alter the track geometry, such that the original Relief Line South routing would have to be used.

Good point; though a lightly customized Rocket (shorter but more cars for the same train length?) might fit the new track geometry while still allowing a shared yard and maintenance facilities. Perhaps we would get lucky and something sized for 7-car Yonge line trains would fit the proposed Ontario line track geometry without undue maintenance. Probably a topic for the fantasy thread though; it is Ford's election to lose.

Last edited:
Agreed. The business case for Eg West LRT was very weak prior to COVID. An adjusted business case for new post-covid work-from-home ridership (almost certainly lower) would let Ford kill it without backlash; particularly if that money go into new hospital construction instead. Post-SARS hospitals had far fewer outbreaks due to significantly improved airflow design.
Can't we have the line at-grade like originally planned and extend it to Renforth only? This is a line that goes through his own riding. I think he'll succumb to having the line at-grade (Even though I prefer it grade-separated.) Considering the demand for air travel is and will be a lot less in the future, there may be no need for a transit hub at Pearson depending on how fast/slow the demand for air travel recovers.

Last edited:
2022 is a long ways away yet, but I agree that Ford has smartened up a lot since the start of his term. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins again.
I figure it's more than likely he will be a two-term Premier at this point.

Ontario Liberals seem to not want to return to governing given their leadership choices.

Doug Ford hasn't seen any significant bump in his polling numbers since the crisis started. In an environment which has been quite favourable for incumbents across Canada and internationally, this is not a great sign for his government. He's tied with the Liberals when he really should be far ahead at this point. The election is in two years, and the Progressive Conservatives (and all other parties in government) will inevitably take a hit in the polls, as we try to recovery from the crisis. I wouldn't confidently make any predictions about the outcome of the 2022 election at this point

Posted today, May 21st.

Noticed this in the article: "The terminus at Exhibition, like the one at the Science Centre, will be designed with a long-term intention to eventually extend Ontario Line even further, to more neighborhoods."

Noticed this in the article: "The terminus at Exhibition, like the one at the Science Centre, will be designed with a long-term intention to eventually extend Ontario Line even further, to more neighborhoods."
Wait this line isn't being built to Sheppard anymore? I thought part of the technology choice was that it was going to be cheaper which would allow it to go further.

Wait this line isn't being built to Sheppard anymore? I thought part of the technology choice was that it was going to be cheaper which would allow it to go further.
It is? They said like the terminus at the Science Centre, the terminus at the exhibition will be designed with future extensions. They imply it'll be extended both ways.

The Science Centre was always the northern terminus.

I'm sure Metrolinx will release a blog post discussing how that makes it 'scientifically valid'.

I wonder when does the public get to see all the 'great' work they've done on this.

Aren't you paying attention?

They explained how they put stations close to connecting lines and surface routes. Their work is done, IMO. This is revolutionary stuff!

Back