Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Not necessarily Doug Ford has full support for the Hamilton LRT and that interferes with cars.
I think at one of the presentations, Transportation Minister Yurek saying they’re “building the Eglinton Subway and is well underway”. So I think he’s trying to use that terminology to spread faith.

Last edited:
I think at one of the presentations, Transportation Minister Yurek saying their “building the Eglinton Subway and is well underway”. So I think he’s trying to use that terminology to spread faith.

By his terms, that would include the Bay Street streetcar tunnel, sorry make that the Bay Subway.

Because LRT is more appropriate for cities of population of 500k to 1M.

I would say density is more of a factor than the actual population. Los Angeles is the 3rd largest city in North America, but has a significant light rail system while lacking much in the way of subway technology. Sydney also is opening its first subway this month despite having 2 million more residents than Toronto. I admit though that Sydney's commuter trains have started to become more like a metro system. It really seems to depend on how the particular city was designed as both examples depend heavily on automobiles.

I would say density is more of a factor than the actual population. Los Angeles is the 3rd largest city in North America, but has a significant light rail system while lacking much in the way of subway technology. Sydney also is opening its first subway this month despite having 2 million more residents than Toronto. I admit though that Sydney's commuter trains have started to become more like a metro system. It really seems to depend on how the particular city was designed as both examples depend heavily on automobiles.

Exactly.

That's why an LRT is perfect for the suburban areas of the city, like Scarborough.

This line should be a full subway line, rather than the lighter rail alternative they have planned.

Does that make every basement, bunker, tunnel, passageway, underpass a subway. hmmmmm???

In 1897, at Queen Street West between Dufferin and Gladstone, it was...
cornerstone1897.jpg

From link.

Because LRT is more appropriate for cities of population of 500k to 1M.
That's nonsense. It depends on the realities of the route (density, destinations, feeder routes, etc.). The biggest cities in the world have LRTs on appropriate routes.

Its impossible to build subways nowadays. Before, subways costed next to nothing and it was easy to build cut and cover because there was very little development. I wish Toronto built on their system and actually went through with plans rather than constantly debated. Like the queen subway, eglinton west, sheppard east and west. By the time these subways are built, we'll have teleportation devices anyway

That's nonsense. It depends on the realities of the route (density, destinations, feeder routes, etc.). The biggest cities in the world have light rail and trams/streetcars on appropriate routes.
Absolutely - while many cities (small and large) have areas where light rail and trams/streetcars makes the most sense, only in bigger cities do heavy-rail subways make sense.

But I can't off-hand think of a big city for which it doesn't also make sense somewhere - which is why many large cities with subways have been adding light rail and/or streetcars.

Absolutely - while many cities (small and large) have areas where light rail and trams/streetcars makes the most sense, only in bigger cities do heavy-rail subways make sense.

But I can't off-hand think of a big city for which it doesn't also make sense somewhere - which is why many large cities with subways have been adding light rail and/or streetcars.
And it makes me wonder why all of these cities with them urbanists can't even reserve a ROW for future transit... That's the most offensive thing.

Of course.

PATH is actually one of Canada's biggest subway lines. Downtown has enough subways, haven't you heard?! ;)

PATH is like a "relief line" for the streets above it in terms of pedestrian capacity. Without it, the streets of the Financial District couldn't handle the volume of pedestrians at peak times in many spots where there are older buildings built right up to the sidewalk.

Many streets would have had to have their sidewalks widened at the expense of car space a long time ago if it wasn't for PATH.

Back