Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

That's for converting the SRT to a 5-stop LRT, as part of Line 4 - with relatively low cost.

That's not a terrible plan ... but Ford is now pushing a $5-billion 3-stop subway.

Maybe it was the best plan ever - too bad that Ford doesn't support it though! Nor did he at council in 2012, based on his comments during the debate that it would interfere with cars on roads ... the debate with Perks was classic, demonstrating how little Doug Ford knew about the SRT!

Sorry, I mixed up who I was replying to.

Maybe it was the best plan ever - too bad that Ford doesn't support it though! Nor did he at council in 2012, based on his comments during the debate that it would interfere with cars on roads ... the debate with Perks was classic, demonstrating how little Doug Ford knew about the SRT!
Ford had to capitulate to everyone else - City Council, Provincial Liberals, etc. and abandon that plan. Yes, he had to abandon the "best" plan, but he did come up with it. It's too bad that the other demanded the B-D extension. By the time Doug Ford got power, it was too late.

Ford had to capitulate to everyone else - City Council, Provincial Liberals, etc. and abandon that plan. Yes, he had to abandon the "best" plan, but he did come up with it. It's too bad that the other demanded the B-D extension. By the time Doug Ford got power, it was too late.
What utter BS! Do you really believe that garbage? LOL!

The TTC has posted yet another Relief Line South tender (RFI), this time for precast tunnel lining.

RELIEF LINE SOUTH SUBWAY PRECAST CONCRETE TUNNEL LINING FABRICATION
This is bizarre, and not binding in any way of course. It's the twitching of a dead snake:
The TTC is requesting an Expression of Interest (EOI)
from entities interested in the design, fabrication, and
delivery to working sites of the Precast Concrete Tunnel
Lining segments.

The purpose of this Request for Expression of Interest
(RFEOI) is to gauge interest in the Precast Concrete
Tunnel Lining segments procurement and gather
information for the development of the contracts.
Responses to the RFEOI will i) provide feedback from
potential proponents to help develop the contract, and ii)
provide a basis for further questions and identify
participants for the subsequent Market Sounding
exercise.

While submission of an EOI is not a prerequisite for
participating in the eventual procurement process for the
Precast Concrete Tunnel Lining segments, interested
entities are encouraged to submit an EOI with detailed
comments.
There's absolutely no detail on what diameter bore the 'new tech' will need, let alone lining strength and structural detail. Unless someone knows something that QP doesn't...which is pretty much anyone! lol..To be more specific, what the Private Partners' plans are.

Legislation to upload new projects has been introduced at Queen's Park but has only passed first reading, so I assume that in a show of (futile) resistance, the TTC soldiers on.

Makes me wonder if contractors will even bother bidding. Who's going to waste time on a contract that's just going to get tossed anyway?

Legislation to upload new projects has been introduced at Queen's Park but has only passed first reading, so I assume that in a show of (futile) resistance, the TTC soldiers on.
I don't think the regulation actually uploads anything. But it would let them upload something if they so choose - presumably by regulation. They can pass the legislation and still do nothing, and let TTC proceed.

Makes me wonder if contractors will even bother bidding. Who's going to waste time on a contract that's just going to get tossed anyway?
Given how many changes of direction and lies that the Tories have done so quickly, they'd be crazy not to bid. I doubt it would be much work to price tunnel liners.

I don't think the regulation actually uploads anything. But it would let them upload something if they so choose - presumably by regulation. They can pass the legislation and still do nothing, and let TTC proceed.

Given how many changes of direction and lies that the Tories have done so quickly, they'd be crazy not to bid. I doubt it would be much work to price tunnel liners.

You're right. Here is some key wording from page 10 of the bill. Section 2 (b) is actually kinda scary and could have unintended consequences, but alas I'm no lawyer.

Sole responsibility project 46
(1)
The Lieutenant Governor in Council may, by regulation, prescribe a project to design, develop and construct rapid transit or an extension to rapid transit as a rapid transit project that is the sole responsibility of the Corporation. Prohibition, City of Toronto and its agencies

(2) The City of Toronto and its agencies shall not design, develop, construct or work on, or cause design, development, construction or work on, (a) a rapid transit project that is the sole responsibility of the Corporation; or (b) a rapid transit project that is substantially similar and in close proximity to a rapid transit project that is the sole responsibility of the Corporation.

Well what would you guys prefer get built, Ontario Line or Relief Line?

I think the proper answer to that is, Yes.

I want the Relief line to be built on the current schedule, followed within 2 to 3 years by the opening of the Ontario Line extensions on both ends. Separate tenders for what we have ready now and the pieces we do not, but largely overlapping construction.

Well what would you guys prefer get built, Ontario Line or Relief Line?
Can you define what the difference is, in terms of capacity, station locations, and frequency?

Until we can do that, the Ontario line is just a pipe dream.

Personally, I think that Doug Ford was lying through his teeth saying it will go to Ontario Place. I very much doubt it will go any closer to the lake than the current GO tracks.

The TTC has posted yet another Relief Line South tender (RFI), this time for precast tunnel lining.

RELIEF LINE SOUTH SUBWAY PRECAST CONCRETE TUNNEL LINING FABRICATION
I recall the Province rushed the Contract out the door for the Nipigon River Bridge - to beat the impending election of 2013 when it looked like Horwath would not support the budget. The election did not happen, but the tender went out. That project didn't go so well.

The other thing is why would city want a tunnel lining contract. I suspect they would be much smarter to have a contract to bore and build the entire tunnel. Or better yet, a contract to built the entire subway line. The more you break it up, the more responsibility the Owner (city) takes. If one component doesn't fit, or the quality is not there, or it is not delivered on time, then there are always risks that the downstream contractor will claim for delays. Get 1 contractor to do it all, and then they are fully responsible for the schedule.
One would think the TTC has better things to do than waste their time on this dead project.

The other thing is why would city want a tunnel lining contract.
It's bizarre, no matter which way this is spun. They haven't a clue on what boring machine is to be used, and what mating chuck is to be used, let alone the spec for the ID, OD, tensile strength, arc parameter, water permeability...a host of details necessary.

It may have been thrown out there as a test. But as you state, it's not something a paper designer would detail at this stage in the game. Once you know the parameters, concrete liners really only require a mould, and layout details. It's one of the last things of a list of to dos. And spec'ed and ordered by the general contractor.

It's a wild weasel.

They could have been 'grapple grommets':

Last edited:

Back