Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I personally find that there was no merit to the EW Subway outside of the connection to Pearson which would have been the main ridership draw and without it you would essentially be building a Subway to nowhere; at least there's a major shopping centre at the end of the Sheppard Line. Also keep in mind the biggest flaw in the EW plan, which was it didn't go to Eglinton Station so it would serve no purpose for crosstown travel from say Scarborough to Etobicoke. Nonetheless if only 1 line was to be built then then you could make a case for both Sheppard and Eglinton, do you connect Pearson but kill Sheppard, or do you kill Eglinton but connect to STC? In the end we chose neither and payed for it. There's a phrase for what we did; "Screwing the Pooch" and boy did we ever.

Last edited:
Perhaps all of the 11 Billion that Ford pledged could all go towards the relief line to guarantee that at least this line gets built.
I was thinking about the 11 billion. Yonge North and Sheppard East aren't going to proceed for awhile yet.

Eglinton West if it is funded 75% by the province is $3.5 billion, meanwhile the province only needs to raise its contribution to $2.8 billion for the Scarborough subway if the Feds match the municipality's $1.6 billion contribution.

That leaves $4.9 billion left from the provincial $11.2 billion commitment, which could go towards the Relief Line.

Perhaps all of the 11 Billion that Ford pledged could all go towards the relief line to guarantee that at least this line gets built.

Definitely not going to happen - it's being dangled like a carrot to justify the real political priorities of STC and Richmond Hill. And if the city failed to cough up the money demanded it could be used as a pretext for cancellation while the two other horses leaves the barn.

AoD

Definitely not going to happen - it's being dangled like a carrot to justify the real political priorities of STC and Richmond Hill. And if the city failed to cough up the money demanded it could be used as a pretext for cancellation while the two other horses leaves the barn.

AoD
I don't think Ford would have expanded the Relief Line so significantly if it was just a "requirement" for the suburban lines. The Ontario Line is pretty clearly the centrepiece of the transit plan.

It's the same thing that Hudak proposed in 2014. His central transit plan plank was the downtown U of the DRL.

To me, it just seems strange to dip all the way down to OP/CNE only to come back up to King or Queen to go further west. They should just keep the DRL/OL along Queen/King, and let OP/CNE be serviced by RER at Exhibition Station, which you could transfer to from the subway anyway. Plus a waterfront LRT.

If they want to save money and speed up construction, they should cut off the OP/CNE section and come up with a better plan. :)

Agreed.

The section between Shaw and Roncesvalles on Queen is primed for a subway.

If anything, Ontario Place/CNE should be a branch, or serviced by a full Waterfront LRT.

Agreed.

The section between Shaw and Roncesvalles on Queen is primed for a subway.

If anything, Ontario Place/CNE should be a branch, or serviced by a full Waterfront LRT.
Yupp, the Ontario Place/CNE part of the line is simply a Property Development ploy and nothing more; at least the Province is open about it though.

That video seem to confirm absolutely everything I said about the reality of the entire line opening by 2027. It also clearly shows that if the line cannot be completed by then it will have nothing to do with the technology or route or financing or planning or engineering or construction and everything to do with inertia at City Hall and cheap local politics.

At this point is wouldn't surprise me to find out that Steve Munro, Tory, and especially city councilors are actually hoping the line won't get built solely so they can say 'I told you so".

That would require spending money. The current Ford plan has 75% of spending after 2026. If you assume Ford gets re-elected once (2 terms) then nearly all spending promised will be after Ford is no longer Premier and no longer in a Ford budget.

Basically, Ford promises that a future unknown premier will build those lines he put on a map BUT he might force their hand, as Wynne did with Finch, by signing a P3 in advance though even that is a 2nd term job for Yonge/SSE and 3rd term for Sheppard.

Last edited:
That video seem to confirm absolutely everything I said about the reality of the entire line opening by 2027. It also clearly shows that if the line cannot be completed by then it will have nothing to do with the technology or route or financing or planning or engineering or construction and everything to do with inertia at City Hall and cheap local politics.

At this point is wouldn't surprise me to find out that Steve Munro, Tory, and especially city councilors are actually hoping the line won't get built solely so they can say 'I told you so".

I wasn't lying either when I said council and Queen's Park probably WON'T be able to build the Ontario Line on the cheap.

Despite being lower capacity if it could be built faster and more cheaply, to make up for the lower capacity perhaps it could incentivize the building of more downtown lines like it to make up the lower capacity difference.

A line that starts at starts at Rail Deck Park then connect with the DRL, head up to Chinatown then veer east to St. Patrick, then Dundas Square, then Cabbagetown, Riverdale, Gerrard Square, and connect with Line 2.

And a Portlands line to hit that goes from Harbourfront to the beach, and many more.

I wasn't lying either when I said council and Queen's Park probably WON'T be able to build the Ontario Line on the cheap.

Old adage - Fast, Good, Cheap - pick two out of the three.

I don't think Ford would have expanded the Relief Line so significantly if it was just a "requirement" for the suburban lines. The Ontario Line is pretty clearly the centrepiece of the transit plan.

It's the same thing that Hudak proposed in 2014. His central transit plan plank was the downtown U of the DRL.

It's just a bunch of lines, and we should know by now not to trust that- what's actually centrepiece is what the province will uncatagorically commit money to - beyond what others will supposedly pay for. In other words, don't trust anything until the contract is signed - and even then...

AoD

Last edited:
That would require spending money. The current Ford plan has 75% of spending after 2026. If you assume Ford gets re-elected once (2 terms) then nearly all spending promised will be after Ford is no longer Premier and no longer in a Ford budget.

Basically, Ford promises that a future unknown premier will build those lines he put on a map BUT he might force their hand, as Wynne did with Finch, by signing a P3 in advance though even that is a 2nd term job for Yonge/SSE and 3rd term for Sheppard.
Three Card Monte is easier to follow than the sleights of hand (sleight of hands?) being dealt at this time.
In other words, don't trust anything until the contract is signed - and even then...
It's at the point where "committed" "budgeted" and "funded" mean as much as "I love you" from a prostitute. The truly troubling aspect is that so many still fall for it.

No wonder this QP regime wants to make it difficult to sue them.

Back