Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

This renaming of a subway line to the "Ontario Line" really shows how irrational, petty, and ridiculous Doug Ford is.

First it's the license plate changes, then its the Ontario logo change, then it's the removal license plates from the front of vehicles. I've never seen this level of silly propaganda in Canada before in my life.

Isn’t it just going to end up being dubbed ‘Line 7’ or whatever number we’re up to by the time it actually opens?
Why - nobody uses line numbers.

It's "Yonge" line, "Bloor" line, and "Sheppard" line, so why not "Ontario" line.

Last edited:
Why - nobody used line numbers.

It's "Yonge" line, "Bloor" line, and "Sheppard" line, so why not "Ontario" line.
You live in Burlington. Or Oakville. You don't know Toronto. You don't know its story, where it came from, how long it's been here etc!
ps Everyone these days calls it line 1 and line 2. Nobody refers to the other lines by any name because no one takes them.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's renaming the DRL the "Ontario Line" because he plans to extend it to Barrie, eventually.

There it is the fantastic solution:
“The Doug Ford government will fast track a new downtown relief line with lighter automated trains that will divert an estimated 9,000 people from the overburdened Yonge Street line, the Toronto Sun has learned.
A government source said the “Ontario” line — to be announced Wednesday morning as part of a massive transit plan — will be running by 2027-28, two years sooner than in the city’s own plan.
It will also cost less, $10.9 billion compared to a city projection of up to $13 billion — in part, by sending trains over, not under, the Don River, the source said.”

.. if its going over the Don River that must mean they changed the route too. Therefore everything the city has done west of the Don River will likely be tossed. How do you even fit a portal on the West Side ... unless it stays elevated. That article also says this:

The province also plans an underground western extension of the Eglinton Crosstown and new Ontario line towards the airport, the source said.

Cant wait to see that routing .. good bye UPX ?

You live in Burlington. Or Oakville. You don't know Toronto. You don't know its story, where it came from, how long it's been here etc!
ps Everyone these days calls it line 1 and line 2. Nobody refers to the other lines by any name because no one takes them.
It was Yonge and Bloor for over 50 years, and "Line 1" for maybe 4 years. Maybe it's just and age thing and those who have used the subway for more than 10 years will use Yonge and Bloor since it had already been ingrained in them for over half their transit lives.

By the way, I still call it Skydome.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out, and what we will know a few hours from now. I would like to be the one gets to pose the following long and convoluted question.

Given that Scarborough now has a light metro in an above-ground right of way that just needs a revamp to have twice the needed capacity of 8K riders per hour, and that downtown is densely developed and requires 2 to 3 times as much capacity, why are you destroying the light metro in Scarborough to build a wildly expensive heavy rail subway, and then building an above ground light metro downtown that will run out of capacity decades sooner?

Of course this may not be the plan, but if it is, it's needs some explanation.

I'm willing to listen to some outside the box thinking on this issue.

My pessimist side can't believe they can build it as fast as they say though.

This renaming of a subway line to the "Ontario Line" really shows how irrational, petty, and ridiculous Doug Ford is.

First it's the license plate changes, then its the Ontario logo change, then it's the removal license plates from the front of vehicles. I've never seen this level of silly propaganda in Canada before in my life.

Oh we forgot Mr Annoucement (Del Duca). If it wasn't announced 10 times it wasn't happening...and even after that it wasn't because they didn't want to offend anyone so they threw so much money at it transit became unaffordable to build.

Ben Spurr tweeted a link to a Sub column which apparently has some details. The Ontario Line will apparently cross the Don River above ground.

It was Yonge and Bloor for over 50 years, and "Line 1" for maybe 4 years. Maybe it's just and age thing and those who have used the subway for more than 10 years will use Yonge and Bloor since it had already been ingrained in them for over half their transit lives.

By the way, I still call it Skydome.

Skydome all the way.

I can't see a way to get the current route past the railway line, over the DVP, and through the landform and past all the condos. So there must be a big change somewhere. Since planning is out the window for the next few hours, it's fantasy time. I thought this one up a few years ago reusing parts of the Gardiner that are going to be decommissioned, then going back underground before Cherry. I think it's just barely doable, assuming a light vehicle taking steeper grades. It would be a fun ride. Monorailish...

Back