Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Today near city hall on Queen st
20181207_123015.jpg

What is the high level plan for TTC’s 501 route during the construction years? As things like boreholes encroach on Queen Street, it won’t be very long before streetcar tracks and overhead are affected. There will be years of this. Even one small excavation can block the whole route.

Are we about to see the end of 501 as a continuous east-west route? Will this force bustitutions? Will that turn our concerns about streetcar availability upside down?

I’m not expecting anyone to have fine details worked out at this point.... but it’s an obvious impact that ought to have been anticipated at some level.

- Paul

Good thing the 504 has the pilot now because it's about to get a whole lot busier.

I don't believe there is a formal service plan for Queen, but I imagine it'll be about a decade as a bus line during construction.

Good thing the 504 has the pilot now because it's about to get a whole lot busier.

IIRC, there will be a vote to keep/discontinue the pilot during early 2019 (spring?).

If the area was extended east to Broadview it could comfortably handle passenger loads of both lines between Broadview and Spadina.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's going to be major impact on Queen Street during construction. Short term pain for long term gain. The King Street pilot will become even more essential to help shoulder the load. RER should help a bit too, although (hopefully) it won't be complete until the relief line is well under construction.

It just underscores the importance of all these transit projects in building some redundancy into the system, which Toronto sorely lacks.

Back