Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

9 years later, we are still in the process of "talking". I am really impressed by people's patience.

at the same time, what happens between 2008-2016 eslewhere (the animation is interesting!)
https://qz.com/1010911/a-beautiful-...d-speed-of-development-of-chinas-rail-system/
Well, when you quite literally have a few hundred million people migrate to cities over a few decades, what else would you expect?

I'm sure if we had millions of people moving around like that, we'd build a few choo-choos too.

Ignoring the fact that running the TBMs farther cost more (extraction may be less), how much does it cost to maintain an empty tunnel for 5+ years?

World's longest linear Grow Op?

Just kidding, sort of..... however, if tunnel cost = cost of insertion + cost of tunnelling + cost of extraction and the insertion and extraction are substantial and don't change with location, then the incremental cost of an additional 5kms of tunnel may not be that large. Especially compared to a two phase plan which demands a second insertion/extraction.

The end walls for any additional stations might have to be done, but the dig for the stations themselves could be deferred until a later date.

I worry about what two phases means for Queen Street. It could lead to no 501 streetcar for a decade or longer. Personally, I still favour doing the whole thing at once and getting it over with. As others noted, this project has multiple objectives with Yonge relief being one but not the only one.

- Paul

How is the Spadina line relief for the west? Just asking.

I don't see how the Spadina line helps with chronic overcrowding on every surface route from Yonge to Parkside.

Just kidding, sort of..... however, if tunnel cost = cost of insertion + cost of tunnelling + cost of extraction and the insertion and extraction are substantial and don't change with location, then the incremental cost of an additional 5kms of tunnel may not be that large. Especially compared to a two phase plan which demands a second insertion/extraction.

Well, insertion/extraction costs can change. If the former location overlapped with another dig (such as a station) and the new location doesn't, then that's an added excavation cost.

Similarly, if you now pass an obstacle which is challenging to tunnel near (such as a subway line like Danforth) then there may be an added extraction/insertion cost on both sides of that obstacle as we've seen on Eglinton twice (around Spadina and Yonge lines).

Of course, EA's are also a challenge to an extended tunnel as part of the same package. EAs are accepted in whole (not in part) so if someone disputes the location of the tunnel north of Danforth, possibly even going to court over it, then construction is delayed on the entire thing until that piece is approved. We've seen both the DRL and SSE delayed (study time added) for construction staging location complaints and that kind of thing.

Derisking the timeline for a project also means taking it in smaller chunks than might be ideal. Multiple phases can still have back-to-back construction timelines and equipment reuse. Perhaps by the time the TBMs reach the Danforth extraction shaft (which will exist even if the bore continues north of Danforth), the next phase will be ready to start.

Last edited:
I suspect because if that section was included in Phase I, there would be calls for "might as well just extend it to Eglinton". Terminating a phase at a perpendicular transit line makes sense, IMO. The delineation may only be logistical though, as it sounds like work on north-of-Danforth may proceed relatively concurrently with south-of-Danforth.
Yeah, the latest news from Metrolinx is interesting, to say the least. I welcome it, as it also brings much deeper pockets into play, and instead of doing this thing piecemeal, even if it is done in stages, it can be approached as one massive undertaking, and in the "Regional" interest. The repeated use of that word in the Metrolinx release is clue to how this might well be kicked up a huge notch.
Agreed. The western part of Toronto already has it's relief line. It's called the Spadina Subway. The King West area does definitely need relief, but there are plenty of surface ROW options that can be undertaken as an interim measure. No such options really exist on the northeastern DRL route, unless you want to run articulated buses down Don Mills/Pape every minute or so during rush hour.
Only to a degree, and as we're seeing, the Spadina leg is now poised to serve even more of the *northwest* than the west. Ironically, for me and some others, UPX is the west-end relief line. I dread sitting on subways to get right downtown from Dundas West. I just hop on the UPX, smooth, quick and excellent value considering (for me, a senior) only a buck more or so.

Another thing with DRL West is it will have quite a few intermodal connections that need to be figured out. Assuming it goes to Roncy and Dundas West:
I'm certainly in the camp of "keep boring west after Osgoode", but I think Roncy isn't necessary (I live right at the top of Roncy). The tunnel should attain the Georgetown Corridor at King or Queen. Whether it surfaces there or further northwest is a good question. A leg continuing west to join the Lakeshore West line should also be considered...but this is all based on a massive change of vehicle mode on the Relief Line: Make it RER in tunnel, and connecting as "through-running" onto as many extant Metrolinx lines as possible. Metrolinx is going to have to build a by-pass for Union at some point. Now they're in for a Pound, stone as many birds with one kill as possible. Get RER serving the core of Toronto as well as the edges. The cost increase over subway would be incremental, and save massive amounts in the long term. There's also the great advantage of a long head-shunt for track crossover and storage of vehicles while Osgoode remains the terminus of stage one. That headshunt will waste absolutely nothing when the westerly extension is opened.

however, if tunnel cost = cost of insertion + cost of tunnelling + cost of extraction and the insertion and extraction are substantial and don't change with location, then the incremental cost of an additional 5kms of tunnel may not be that large. Especially compared to a two phase plan which demands a second insertion/extraction.

The end walls for any additional stations might have to be done, but the dig for the stations themselves could be deferred until a later date.

I worry about what two phases means for Queen Street. It could lead to no 501 streetcar for a decade or longer. Personally, I still favour doing the whole thing at once and getting it over with. As others noted, this project has multiple objectives with Yonge relief being one but not the only one.
Absolutely. One thing Crossrail now preaches is when deep tunneling, always overbuild and plan for future expansion, because you can't go back later to do it, at least not in practical terms. And already that foresight is paying off. They're moving to twelve car trains sooner than later. Toronto has an exquisite example of brilliant engineering foresight with the Bloor-Danforth Viaduct, albeit it was intended for CP trains, but whatever, that saved massive amounts of money and time.

How is the Spadina line relief for the west? Just asking.
Only partially, as mentioned prior. UPX is the real west end relief, but like the SSE, only for two points (in my case, from Bloor Station to Union). From Weston, it's an incredible improvement over TTC.

Well, insertion/extraction costs can change. If the former location overlapped with another dig (such as a station) and the new location doesn't, then that's an added excavation cost.
This is a fair point, and something worthy of much greater discussion. I'm with Paul on this, but to do the point justice, examples must be referenced. I'll see what I can dig up later....bad pun, sorry about that. I feel shafted...

Similarly, if you now pass an obstacle which is challenging to tunnel near (such as a subway line like Danforth) then there may be an added extraction/insertion cost on both sides of that obstacle as we've seen on Eglinton twice (around Spadina and Yonge lines).
Dpn't forget that this *at least for the eastern section* is touted to be deep tunneling in bedrock. That changes a lot, not least the amount of stations that are reasonable to build, as *accessing and servicing* deep tunnel is geometrically more challenging and expensive. On the other hand, it lends itself to express running speed.

Derisking the timeline for a project also means taking it in smaller chunks than might be ideal.
Yes, with a limited budget, but when the big picture cost is examined, the best rendered financial model swings the other way. Doing projects like this in dribs and drabs *multiplies* costs, let alone interrupts reaching a much greater end-result. There's also *expertise* that needs to be retained, as well as the TBMs themselves. Toronto has a massive amount of catching up to do. Best we consider this as a long haul project, and if QP is footing much/most of the bill, let them take the initiative....and controversially, especially in this string, make it RER in tunnel connected through to the rest of the system, as other world leading cities are doing.

Last edited:
All this planning, very positive. Looks like that lasts two more years.

Question. If the desire was to build out relief long as quickly as possible, what would the best build time be, as opposed to the "I think we can get there in time for MoveGeriatricOntario 2030" by the time we all retire nonsense?

Question. If the desire was to build out relief long as quickly as possible, what would the best build time be...?
Engineering wise? Ten years. Crossrail from approval to opening next year will be eleven years, and it's touted as the largest infrastructure project in Europe. But the politics and organizational environment is radically different than in Toronto and Ontario.
The project was approved in 2007 and construction began in 2009 on the central section and connections to existing lines that will become part of the route.[6] It has been described as one of Europe's largest infrastructure construction projects.[7][8][9] Its main feature is 21 km (13 mi) of new twin tunnels through central London. These tunnels will run from Paddington to Stratford and Canary Wharf in the east.[10] An almost entirely new line will branch from the main line at Whitechapel to Canary Wharf, crossing under the River Thames, with a new station at Woolwich and finally connecting with the North Kent Line at the Abbey Wood terminus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossrail

All this planning, very positive. Looks like that lasts two more years.

Question. If the desire was to build out relief long as quickly as possible, what would the best build time be, as opposed to the "I think we can get there in time for MoveGeriatricOntario 2030" by the time we all retire nonsense?

There are too many unknowns about the project to give a remotely accurate timeframe. For example, the Scarborough Subway was expected to go from proposal to operation in only 10 years. On the other hand, the Relief Line Short has been in planning for another three years, and we're looking at another three years (at the earliest) before construction can begin. So six years of planning for that project, presumably because it's significantly more complicated than the SSE.

There are too many unknowns about the project to give a remotely accurate timeframe. For example, the Scarborough Subway was expected to go from proposal to operation in only 10 years. On the other hand, the Relief Line Short has been in planning for another three years, and we're looking at another three years (at the earliest) before construction can begin. So six years of planning for that project, presumably because it's significantly more complicated than the SSE.
Sadly, a six-year planning cycle is longer than our municipal and provincial political cycles. If the next elections result in either Ford as mayor or the PC's at Queen's Park, it's quite possible that the RL will be put on hold, either because of a combination of spending restraint and the heavy cost of SSE, or because these people would prioritize other nonsensical sops to the suburbs like the so-called North York Relief Line. After all, Toronto transit plans change all the time, with little ever constructed. Our transit strategy at any moment mostly seems to be the stuff of lines drawn on cocktail napkins by election strategists and peddled by candidates who are either criminally uninformed or dishonest or both. RL? It makes too much sense to ever happen in Toronto.

Thank you all for the responses. Let me be clearer. If the money is in place and the determination there, like in China and Hong Kong when they decide to build something, what would be the very best engineering and construction timeline? Remove the money and political to-ing and fro-ing constraints. I am curious.

Sadly, a six-year planning cycle is longer than our municipal and provincial political cycles. If the next elections result in either Ford as mayor or the PC's at Queen's Park, it's quite possible that the RL will be put on hold, either because of a combination of spending restraint and the heavy cost of SSE, or because these people would prioritize other nonsensical sops to the suburbs like the so-called North York Relief Line. After all, Toronto transit plans change all the time, with little ever constructed. Our transit strategy at any moment mostly seems to be the stuff of lines drawn on cocktail napkins by election strategists and peddled by candidates who are either criminally uninformed or dishonest or both. RL? It makes too much sense to ever happen in Toronto.

In the unlikely event Ford becomes Mayor the relief line would be supported as a priority and maybe end up with a louder voice for "subways" and "bore till the cows come home" Politics to shake the Province. Lines like the Eglinton East - West, and Waterfront LRT's would likely be in jeopardy. A David Miller type who is looking to find alternate solutions or carry out more studies is a presents a far greater problem at this point to make progress.

As it stands now, with the large support for action that should only grow in the next decade its far more likely we have a Mayor who will be supportive of the DRL. The real issue is the Province. Its fair to question if we could have Conservative government that supports this line. It fair to question if the Provincial Liberals will play games and be supportive of both the long and short in an "priority" timeline. If funding commitments are in place from the Province then the long could proceed to be built in the standard timeline which is 10 years on the low end and realistically closer to 15 years if we don't waste time.

There is much less tolerance from the voting public for our Politicians to continue the game of kick ball they have enjoyed for decades. So I expect more noise from City Hall to keep pressure on those above. Whether its Tory, Ford, or anyone else, the only way its getting built at the earliest opportunity is thru constant pressure. By the looks of it the DRL short construction likely lags the SSE by approx. 2 years and the long construction could start 5-10 years after as long as we don't hire Mayors with other ideas or allow or a Mayor that allows the Province to quietly do nothing. The design process way too long to start over or keep studying new ideas.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses. Let me be clearer. If the money is in place and the determination there, like in China and Hong Kong when they decide to build something, what would be the very best engineering and construction timeline? Remove the money and political to-ing and fro-ing constraints. I am curious.

The timeline below is from the SSE and gives a rough estimate from start to finish. Given the DRL long will certainly be more detailed, larger and estimates are always a optimistic. I would say 15 years would be a reasonable expectation and to some extent an "achievement" if pressure can be kept on.

SSE1.jpg

Attachments

• SSE1.jpg
    SSE1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

The timeline below is from the SSE and gives a rough estimate from start to finish. Given the DRL long will certainly be more detailed, larger and estimates are always a optimistic. I would say 15 years would be a reasonable expectation and to some extent an "achievement" if pressure can be kept on.

View attachment 113820

From the City Manager's report:

53617a0227e2d2a1045ee35c2b150f62.png

Attachments

• 53617a0227e2d2a1045ee35c2b150f62.png
    53617a0227e2d2a1045ee35c2b150f62.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 288
Just catching up with the previous months news and decisions, so excuse me if it seems like I am jumping from place to place.

3. City Council request the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning, in collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer, Toronto Transit Commission, to prepare a cost benefit analysis between the "downtown" relief line and the Sheppard Subway Extensions to Scarborough and the North York relief line between Yonge and Sheppard and Downsview Station.

Ugh, I see that the 'North York relief line' has made it onto official city council records.

While I like the idea of calling this the Don Mills Subwy (as per DMW's motion), I also like the idea of referring to it as the North York Relief Line, rather than Pasternak's moronic and bothersome Sheppard West extension.

6. City Council authorize the Mayor and the City Manager to negotiate funding agreements with the Province of Ontario and Government of Canada for the capital construction of the Relief Line South and report back to City Council.

7. City Council request the City Manager to work in partnership with the Chief Executive Officer, Toronto Transit Commission, and Metrolinx to develop an initial business case for the Relief Line North, as an extension of the Relief Line South alignment described in Part 1 above, and report to City Council in the first quarter of 2018 with a preferred alignment and station locations.

Looks like we are finally going places.

So my understanding is that:

----> First Quarter 2018 - BCA for Relief Line North is presented to council
----> Late 2019 - City Staff report to Council with a Class 3 Cost Estimation (15-30%) of Relief Line South.

I also pulled this from the City Manager's report:

"Construction of the Relief Line South is currently estimated to take approximately 8 to 10 years, once capital funding is secured. An updated budget and schedule for the project is required once further design and due diligence has been completed."

So it appears that the 'aim' is for Relief Line south to be operating by 2028-2030, provided capital funding is in place. (I'm going to lean and say, likely the latter end of that time estimate.)

Now I want to divert attention to this line in the City Manager's Report:

0964b7a9c4864896715489eeaed7e605.png

I didn't notice any discussion on this, but this is confirmation that the Relief Line is planned as Metrolinx-owned, TTC-operated.

Attachments

• 0964b7a9c4864896715489eeaed7e605.png
    0964b7a9c4864896715489eeaed7e605.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 209

Back