Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Will the Relief Line (Line 3) stations be built as 6 car or 8 car length? And will the trains when it opens be 4 car or 6 car? Or is this all up in the air?

Train capacity will be similar to Yonge (so 6-car equivalent length trains). Whether it's tendered with standard TTC dimension cars or something else remains to be seen. It might end up being 4 or 8 cars (different dimension cars, same train length).

Actually, with ganged trains that operate as one (they don't take single cars out of service and reform trains anymore), I wonder if TTC would consider something based on a Jacobs bogie (less noise, less vibration, lower weight, and less motion in the accordion join area).

Last edited:
Actually, with ganged trains that operate as one (they don't take single cars out of service and reform trains anymore), I wonder if TTC would consider something based on a Jacobs bogie (less noise, less vibration, lower weight, and less motion in the accordion join area).

Can Jacobs Bogies work on any line, or do the lines need to be designed for it in particular?

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobs_bogie

Can Jacobs Bogies work on any line, or do the lines need to be designed for it in particular?

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobs_bogie

As far as I know the tradeoffs are almost entirely around maintenance since if you do need to separate cars, you only have wheels for 1 of them (the other needs to sit on blocks).

They've shown up on freight, high speed rail, LRVs, and everything in-between.

Perhaps the next train can be stretched and contracted like a real accordion depending on the need and the platform length.

Perhaps the next train can be stretched and contracted like a real accordion depending on the need and the platform length.
Or they could do like they do with the DLR (Dockland Light Rail) in London it uses some short and long platforms when it's at a short platform only the middle section of the train opens it doors wele the front and end doors sty closed.

As far as I know the tradeoffs are almost entirely around maintenance since if you do need to separate cars, you only have wheels for 1 of them (the other needs to sit on blocks).

They've shown up on freight, high speed rail, LRVs, and everything in-between.

Another - and sometimes, the most important - advantage to an articulated design using Jacob's bogies is the ability to fill the entirety of your dynamic loading gauge with train car. As each of the segments are shorter than a discrete car would be, you needn't to worry about overhang on curves to nearly the same degree, and so there's little-to-less of a need to build a taper into the ends of the cars.

This is less of a concern in Toronto however, as the dynamic loading gauge of the tunnels has already been filled by our subway car design.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Another - and sometimes, the most important - advantage to an articulated design using Jacob's bogies is the ability to fill the entirety of your dynamic loading gauge with train car. As each of the segments are shorter than a discrete car would be, you needn't to worry about overhang on curves to nearly the same degree, and so there's little-to-less of a need to build a taper into the ends of the cars.

This is less of a concern in Toronto however, as the dynamic loading gauge of the tunnels has already been filled by our subway car design.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
correct me if i, wrong but isn't the design of biogas mainly used for high speed trains like the TGV, ICE and eurostar. I know there are some fright cars that are built like tah as well. Although it would probably have made walking through the Toronto Rockets smother if they had the boogers uner the connections rather then before and after them.

correct me if i, wrong but isn't the design of biogas mainly used for high speed trains like the TGV, ICE and eurostar. I know there are some fright cars that are built like tah as well. Although it would probably have made walking through the Toronto Rockets smother if they had the boogers uner the connections rather then before and after them.

Jacob's Bogies are used on the TGV, AGV and Talgo, and a couple of other, newer, high speed train designs. It is also used in the ALRV and a bunch of other streetcar designs and some freight cars as well, so its by no means a high-speed-only design.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Jacob's Bogies are used on the TGV, AGV and Talgo, and a couple of other, newer, high speed train designs. It is also used in the ALRV and a bunch of other streetcar designs and some freight cars as well, so its by no means a high-speed-only design.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I wasn't saying it was entirely a high speed only design but was primarily used by them. I don't know if they have ever been used in subways though.

I wasn't saying it was entirely a high speed only design but was primarily used by them. I don't know if they have ever been used in subways though.

But its not primarily used by high speed trains - just a couple of designs. ICE is not articulated at all, nor are any of the versions of the Shinkansen.

Yes, they've been used in subways. Chicago and New York have both had articulated designs, for instance.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Since flooding in the DVP is an issue, perhaps the valley can be returned and have the DVP elevated with elevated GO RER in the middle which would better connect with Broadview Station and extend Sheppard to 404 to connect with it there, and continue north into Markham.

Since flooding in the DVP is an issue, perhaps the valley can be returned and have the DVP elevated with elevated GO RER in the middle which would better connect with Broadview Station and extend Sheppard to 404 to connect with it there, and continue north into Markham.

Apparently, some of the overhead bridges would be too low if the raise the DVP in the area of the lower Don River.

Would also give them the opportunity to redesign the horrid 404/401/Don-Valley interchange. And maybe increase capacity.

But the logistics would be a nightmare - the DVP would have to be closed for years, and its the only highway into the city. Not to mention the cost of the road and rails but also the bridges overhead that would need to be redesigned, particularly near the water. And the future maintenance costs.

IIRC there is some sort of project to help reduce flooding by doing some sort of naturalization at the mouth of the river?

Back