Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

This thing should be going to Dundas West or Keele and the Science Centre or Fairview mall as phase 1. This stub line will solve nothing.

It won't solve much - but if you can't even muster the will to build a stub - the most difficult part, what of the will to build the entire line?

AoD

It won't solve much - but if you can't even muster the will to build a stub - the most difficult part, what of the will to build the entire line?

AoD
Very true and sad. Also the stub line reinforces the "downtown for subways" narrative that hucksters like Doug F love.

Just name it the Keele - Don Mills line.

Maybe it would be better to just refer to it as it's Line number. The Pape Carlaw Eastern Queen Line would be a mouthful.
Just name it the Keele - Don Mills line.

Don River Line! Don River Line!

I am also open to the DRL being blue on the map.

====

Anyway, we just need to get digging on the stub. I would love to be able to tack on Eglinton to phase 1 if possible, but really we just need to get started on this thing.

The moment it opens, we will hear North York screaming to have it extended to Sheppard.

Extending it to Queen West is also easy and quick pickings for future politicians. If there is one thing good about the politicization of transit in this region, is that it makes pushing for extensions easier.

====

Anyway, we just need to get digging on the stub. I would love to be able to tack on Eglinton to phase 1 if possible, but really we just need to get started on this thing.

The moment it opens, we will hear North York screaming to have it extended to Sheppard.

Extending it to Queen West is also easy and quick pickings for future politicians. If there is one thing good about the politicization of transit in this region, is that it makes pushing for extensions easier.

Eglinton (Mount Dennis) to Eglinton (Science Centre) within our lifetimes would bring tears of joy to my eyes.

Eglinton (Mount Dennis) to Eglinton (Science Centre) within our lifetimes would bring tears of joy to my eyes.
Perhaps I am revealing my youth a bit, but I will be disappointed if that is all we got to. Mt. Dennis to Fairview Mall in my lifetime hopefully!

Even though the past few years has tried it's very best, the optimism hasn't been beaten out of me yet! :)

====

This thing will not be extended for quite a while. Look at Sheppard and Don Mills. The tunnel is super deep, and that means it is very expensive to extend. If this is built as planned with deep tunnels, then City Hall will the last stop for a couple of decades.

This thing will not be extended for quite a while. Look at Sheppard and Don Mills. The tunnel is super deep, and that means it is very expensive to extend. If this is built as planned with deep tunnels, then City Hall will the last stop for a couple of decades.
A note of sobriety on your part. Many if not most of these posters fail to understand that the SSE hasn't been fully funded, let alone the RL which has zero funds committed at this time save for a study.

One aspect of deep boring, and this keeps getting lost on many posters, is that it costs little more to make it a full gauge bore instead of subway gauge. (Think Eglinton Crosstown) Crossrail is about to lead the world in throughput, and *yet still* have built in overcapacity for longer trains yet and built to the same cross-section or greater as Paris RER to allow (eventually) double decker carriages. In the event, the tunnels for the Spadina Extension are approx this size.

[The platforms will be 250 metres long to accommodate the new 200 metre long train as well as longer rolling stock in the future]
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/design/

It would be absolutely idiotic for Toronto not to make the RL tunnel(s) not forward compatible.

The DRL *even in the short form* is "Toronto's most expensive subway project ever". And they're building it for four car subway trains. Go figure...By all means build it, do it yesterday, but do it with the future in mind, not the past. Once you bore with modern methods,(TBMs) you're stuck with that size.

Last edited:
The Sheppard Line is not being extended because it shouldn't have been built in the first place.

The suburbs will either join or lead the charge for extension of this thing to North York, and downtown won't oppose it.

The western extension is a bit of a different story.

Back