Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

- Look for Relief Line Short funding to materialize this year.

Most likely in 2018 as an election pledge, much like what GO RER was during the last election. If the Liberals are desperate, they may even commit to the Relief Line long, because it will shore up support in North York and Scarborough, two areas they need to win to have any shot at keeping power.

As a general comment, I strongly suspect 2018 will be the year that we'll see the big GO service boosts on infrastructure that's been under construction for the past few years. If it's a fall election, look for the September service changes to be a whopper. This isn't based on any inside info or anything, just my observation of how politics and transit seem to intersect nowadays. Announcing full AD2W on multiple lines into the 905 would go a long way to winning their support.

44, thanks for posting that image and links. Some of us suggested that sort of a diagonal station a while back, and some others poo-poo'd the idea. It puts the Queen station in a much more sensible location.

Most likely in 2018 as an election pledge, much like what GO RER was during the last election. If the Liberals are desperate, they may even commit to the Relief Line long, because it will shore up support in North York and Scarborough, two areas they need to win to have any shot at keeping power.

As a general comment, I strongly suspect 2018 will be the year that we'll see the big GO service boosts on infrastructure that's been under construction for the past few years. If it's a fall election, look for the September service changes to be a whopper. This isn't based on any inside info or anything, just my observation of how politics and transit seem to intersect nowadays. Announcing full AD2W on multiple lines into the 905 would go a long way to winning their support.
The election next year will be in summer.

The 501 Queen/502 Downtowner/503 Kingston Road streetcar lines should remain as either on-street transfers, or at the very least a street platform transfer (like the original Bloor streetcar transfer at Yonge), to and from the Queen/Carlaw or Queen/Pape station.

streetcar-4115-07.jpg

Ditto for the 506 Carlton streetcar, should have an on-street transfer to the Gerrard station. If they extend the 505 Dundas streetcar to the Gerrard station, that one could have an off-street transfer.

Shallow stations are cheaper, faster to build, and more convenient in service. Hopefully they choose the option with the shallow est stations.
That was one of the big benefits of this old fantasy plan (TRZ DRL)

Said plan will still have to go under YUS - it wouldn't have made a difference where it matters in the core. Ditto the Don River crossing.

AoD

I definitely prefer the Carlaw alignment. Carlaw is already zoned for development whereas Pape is a stable SFD residential street south of Danforth. The Gerrard station on the Carlaw alignment also better integrates with the GO station planned there.

Feel the same way, Carlaw makes a heckuva lot of sense. Though I'm more than open to both, and figure whatever has the best net benefit should be pursued.

But because the RL is so far off I believe there's room to incorporate more elaborate options like stacking tunnels/stations, single bore design, or using a fleet of narrower trains (~2.6m vs conventional 3.14m). Narrower trains = narrower infrastructure footprints and better ability to navigate through the built city, among other benefits. I think one less metre in line width can mean a lot in an older urban environment. In this particular instance the line may be able to stay within Pape's ROW. *I don't really see ideas such as this 'fantasy' stuff seeing that the alignment would still be the same, and rolling stock isn't set in stone at this point.

Feel the same way, Carlaw makes a heckuva lot of sense. Though I'm more than open to both, and figure whatever has the best net benefit should be pursued.

But because the RL is so far off I believe there's room to incorporate more elaborate options like stacking tunnels/stations, single bore design, or using a fleet of narrower trains (~2.6m vs conventional 3.14m). Narrower trains = narrower infrastructure footprints and better ability to navigate through the built city, among other benefits. I think one less metre in line width can mean a lot in an older urban environment. In this particular instance the line may be able to stay within Pape's ROW. *I don't really see ideas such as this 'fantasy' stuff seeing that the alignment would still be the same, and rolling stock isn't set in stone at this point.
With narrower rolling stock, narrower gauge could be used, such as standard gauge, rather than the wide Toronto gauge.

With narrower rolling stock, narrower gauge could be used, such as standard gauge, rather than the wide Toronto gauge.

If you're going with heavy rail subway trains, it doesn't make much sense to start screwing with gauges. The benefits of a potentially slightly narrow tunnel are more than offset by the loss of interoperability.

According to this link that someone posted (I don't remember who), it will be sooner than that depending on the line. All day service on weekends started on the Barrie line a couple weeks ago. If the schedule is correct, all day service on the Kitchener line should start soon, and all day (or close to it) weekday service on the Barrie and Stouffville lines should be in 2017/18.

Back