Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

There's a very long, complicated, and frustrating answer to that question directly, but there's truly no good reason not to take the King and Queen, and probably Dundas, Gerrard, and College streetcars out of traffic entirely, in which case what you've got is nearly as good as a subway anyways.

It's kind of a travesty that that's not all about to happen imminently, let alone potentially ever.

I think the expectation is more or less that you live close enough to the core to use active transportation (walk, bike) to work, because you surely aren't likely to see much more by the way of streetcar capacity improvements. It's certainly how the slack in transit is being taken up vis-a-vis downtown residential developments.

AoD

Platform27........

I appreciate your feedback about my DRL/RER idea but 15,000 train trips a week is definitely foreseeable.

The Milton and Richmond Hill lines will eventually get upgraded to full RER and RER frequency will also increase as the population continues to grow. They have to assume that by 2050 all the current GO commuter lines will be upgraded to RER. Milton is already a busy line and Milton is the fastest growing city in the country and that explosive growth will continue.

The Melbourne suburban rail system is already over 12,000 trains per week serving a metro area with only half Toronto/GGH population. They must build for the inevitability of every increasing ridership and frequency of RER over the decades to come. Union will simply not be able to handle that kind of capacity. In other words they are eventually going to have to build a secondary route thru the downtown core and if the DRL is third rail then that means yet another tunnel probably down King. A tunnel down King would be a logistical nightmare and the price would be ghastly having to go underneath the massive PATH system and 2 subways lines so close together. It will have to be so deep they will end up 10 feet short of China.

Also by using RER as DRL with TTC prices in the inner city, the system can be extended far further and yet doesn't have to initially be total grade separated. Heavy rail is an all or nothing kind of system as it can't take advantage of current rail lines. Many systems in the world run on catenary including Toronto's nearest Metro system, Cleveland. The entire Delhi, Sao Paulo systems are catenary and most of HK, Barcelona, Tokyo and many other large ones.

It will have subway capacity and frequency but be vastly cheaper to extend and offer a much needed relief line to help relieve the overcapacity issues that Union will eventually face. Sooner or later RER will have to create an alternative corridor thru the downtown so why not do it as part of the DRL now?

Throw all the money, time and talent at the DRL - get it built by 2030. Multitasking is not our city's area of expertise. So, triage and pick the most important, which IMO is the DRL.

http://reliefline.ca

3239377530_da97a37cd1.jpg

That map is so outdated. It should look more like this:

And in the long term, like this:

Anyone denying that DRL West should be a priority probably has never taken the Jane, Keele, Dufferin, Ossington or Bathurst buses nor the 504, 501 or 505 west of the YUS loop.

Why must these commuters be packed in like sardines in perpetuity while too much emphasis is being placed on building the East End? I know some on here think the Spadina Line is reason enough to put off and delay the western DRL leg; but if more people reside west of Yonge than east then it only makes sense to at least apply parity on both sides when talking about expansion.

Anyone denying that DRL West should be a priority probably has never taken the Jane, Keele, Dufferin, Ossington or Bathurst buses nor the 504, 501 or 505 west of the YUS loop.

Why must these commuters be packed in like sardines in perpetuity while too much emphasis is being placed on building the East End? I know some on here think the Spadina Line is reason enough to put off and delay the western DRL leg; but if more people reside west of Yonge than east then it only makes sense to at least apply parity on both sides when talking about expansion.

Easy answer is that the DRL is primarily meant to deal with overcrowding on the Yonge line. DRL West will not accomplish this. Until Yonge is dealt with DRL West is a pipe dream.

I kind of wish Tory would cancel every other expansion project not underway, and just get the DRL built. Finish the Eglinton crosstown to its barebones, cancel/postpone the Scarborough subway, Smart Track, and everything else, including:
  • UP Express. ...
  • Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension. ...
  • Eglinton Crosstown LRT. ...
  • Finch West LRT. ...
Throw all the money, time and talent at the DRL - get it built by 2030. Multitasking is not our city's area of expertise. So, triage and pick the most important, which IMO is the DRL.

http://reliefline.ca

3239377530_da97a37cd1.jpg
Nice to see you around again. I think we have no choice but to multitask. We are too far behind to do one thing at a time.

9 billion - Dundas West to Sheppard. It can be done all now.

It can be but it won't. There isn't that much money sitting around for it. Osgoode to Pape is all I expect in the next decade or so.

It can be but it won't. There isn't that much money sitting around for it. Osgoode to Pape is all I expect in the next decade or so.
There will be a shift in thinking as the election gets closer. After all, they have to sell this thing to the suburbs as well.
but the dufferin bus does not go to the subway which is at the allen - it just stops on dufferin in front of yorkdale
Didn't know that. I think the subway will end at Dufferin and Eglinton if it goes up Dufferin as well.

The DRL West should line up with Jane as Smart track is a better option for those transferring at Dundas West or Dufferin.

Ask anyone to draw out the DRL East up to Seneca and all the lines will be within 300m of each other.

Ask people to draw the DRL West and you will have it go to the Ex, across Queensway, Up Jane, Parkside/Keele, Roncesvalles, Dufferin, Rail corridor, etc., etc.

There is still so much uncertainty in the West that it is hard to get anything started there. Part of the problem is the UP, the valuable space it takes up and the design - which we were not sure if its rapid transit or premium service.

but the dufferin bus does not go to the subway which is at the allen - it just stops on dufferin in front of yorkdale

Didn't know that. I think the subway will end at Dufferin and Eglinton if it goes up Dufferin as well.

The 29 Dufferin bus doesn't just go to Yorkdale. It continues north and turns on Wilson and ends at Wilson Station.

Back