Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I don't have a particular site in mind. Lots of industrial around north of the tracks, no where near hydro or residential

There must be some space next to the water treatment plant.

Too bad hydro is not owned by the City, then they could do what's best for the common good.

There must be some space next to the water treatment plant.

Too bad hydro is not owned by the City, then they could do what's best for the common good.

This is Hydro One, which has never been owned by the city. The treatment plant is smack in the valley - can't imagine that's the greatest spot for a yard.

AoD

Likely a yard would be situated at the south end of the line near Eastern Avenue. They could also lease the air space above the yard. The "first floor" would be storage yard, while the second, third, etc. floors could be leased out for commercial, maybe even residential on the upper floors.

The community of Thorncliffe doesn't want a new yard dumped on them just because the rest of the city doesn't want one in their backyard. Moot point any how as land costs are too high for your pipe dream.

An alternative proposal that wouldn't cost the city a penny in land costs is to look west. We have the Don Branch sitting in the valley right now. It's long enough to hold two trains. How about rebuilding it with modern, slender, sleek, single concrete piers? Now add another. And another. And another. Add a few switching tracks. BAM! Instant yard with no land costs or NIMBY's to complain. With a current day design, the whole thing would look, dare I say, sexy or even world class?

The area around Thorncliffe is absolutely massive. I highly doubt residents would care all that much if a yard were "dumped" there. Besides, like others have mentioned there's numerous (decaying) industrial sites, commercial, a CP switching yard, and the Gatineau hydro corridor. Can a yard be built below a hydro corridor? Perhaps, and if so I think that would be very worthwhile. It's basically free land...no expropriation required.

As for your other idea. Yeah, I guess. But this isn't merely storage we're talking here, but maintenance as well. If it were just storage, the trains could be parked in the tunnel or at stations overnight.

Likely a yard would be situated at the south end of the line near Eastern Avenue. They could also lease the air space above the yard. The "first floor" would be storage yard, while the second, third, etc. floors could be leased out for commercial, maybe even residential on the upper floors.

Where around Eastern though? That was an idea from the 80s for Skytrain, but I don't think there'd be much merit in it now - what with existing floodplain issues, Unilver, contamination, high property values, development, etc.

I recall a doodle shown on this thread drawn by Munro that depicted a potential routing to Greenwood yard. Can that work? Has anyone given thought about other ideas for how a DRL wye could connect with B/D? Because B/D is pretty shallow with many properties literally abutting it, I think it might be quite a challenge. This is one reason I think a new yard somewhere along the DRL northerly route might be a good idea.

With the number of trains that would be required, a new yard will certainly be necessary. If we're talking about a DRL long, a new yard the size of Greenwood would be needed just for the DRL. If a connection to Greenwood was built, they would need a new Greenwood-sized yard for the BD somewhere (and if that somewhere is out past Kipling, that's going to mean a lot more deadheading for the TTC).

I don't know why people would be opposed to a yard (unless they're reactionary NIMBYs). It's quiet, generates no pollution, generates no traffic other than that of the employees, and doesn't block out the sun. Greenwood yard coexists with its residential neighbours quite peacefully. A yard in Thorncliffe/Leaside wouldn't even abut people's homes.

And let's not forget, a neighbourhood which receives a subway yard is also receiving a subway line. If the yard was in Thorncliffe/Leaside, that would mean that the DRL would have to at least go to Thorncliffe as part of the first phase.

And yet wasn't it a reason that a proposal to close Davisville was dismissed by the city? Or am I mistaken that such a proposal existed?

Considering the demographic around the immediate Davisville neighbourhood, the not closing Davisville because of jobs proposition would be extremely questionable.

AoD

Should there be a push for Toronto to try to get the Olympics here, then expect another push for the DRL/YRL to get a higher priority. At least a first phase for a 2024 target date, though a 2028 target maybe more reasonable.

And yet wasn't it a reason that a proposal to close Davisville was dismissed by the city? Or am I mistaken that such a proposal existed?

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a serious proposal to close Davisville. The TTC would have been very strongly against it, in any case.

Now, there have been proposals to build over the yard and to deck over it. Could this be what you're thinking of?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a serious proposal to close Davisville. The TTC would have been very strongly against it, in any case.

Now, there have been proposals to build over the yard and to deck over it. Could this be what you're thinking of?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I only remember someone on UT saying something about a Davisville closure idea getting shot down. One of those rumors I guess. What would be decked over the yard, foundations for new commercial/residential?

Should there be a push for Toronto to try to get the Olympics here, then expect another push for the DRL/YRL to get a higher priority. At least a first phase for a 2024 target date, though a 2028 target maybe more reasonable.

Although I'm not in favour of Toronto hosting the Olympics, a winning bid would most definitely move the DRL up the list of necessary infrastructure projects, in which case, all other expenses considered, it would kind of be a win for the city.

Back