Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

From Urban Toronto's perspective let's thank Darkstar416 for his effort in setting up the DRL facebook page.
Thanks for the kudos. Honestly, I don't feel I've done that much work, but I guess sometimes all it takes is one person to get the ball rolling.

As for the radio interview, it doesn't look like it'll be happening today as the reporter overextended himself, but may happen in the future. Still, there is apparently lots of DRL news on CBC Radio on today's Hear & Now and also likely on tomorrow's Metro Morning.

Congratulations - that's very exciting, even if you won't be on the radio. You really helped to get the issue on the table and how fabulous is that?

Should the Downtown Relief Line be considered, the TTC should also consider putting in crossover tracks on the Bloor-Danforth subway at Pape station in the east and Dundas West station in the west. They would then be able to be used as optional short-turn stations in case of problems on the Bloor-Danforth subway, but still allow access to transfer to downtown trains, if needed. Or even use the DRL as a bypass, should the DRL be heavy rail.
In fact, every important transfer station on the subway (and future LRT) should have crossovers, to be used as short-turn options in case of problems.
2411960022_33380eba17.jpg

Why all this obsession with building new trinkets *in case* of problems?

Surely just making the system shutdown-proof (by investing in non-19th century signalling) will be a much better investment of tax dollars.

Why all this obsession with building new trinkets *in case* of problems?

Surely just making the system shutdown-proof (by investing in non-19th century signalling) will be a much better investment of tax dollars.
^
Platform screen doors should help, too.

(speaking of, has the TTC gotten anywhere with this? I thought they were considering installing them at busy stations).

I suggest they install them.

God knows how many times at Dundas have I seen people get slowly pushed right to the tip of the platform.

I think they need automatic train control before they can do screen doors, don't they? Gotta make sure the trains always stop at the exact same position so the doors line up.

Platform doors will be installed on the extension stops on both Spadina and Yonge, and will be retrofitted on the YUS as well once Automatic Train Control comes in.

ATC isn't necessary for screen doors but not having them will slow down service as drivers will have to spend more time pulling into the station.

^
Platform screen doors should help, too.

(speaking of, has the TTC gotten anywhere with this? I thought they were considering installing them at busy stations).

How are screen doors going to help when you will have 4 different types of trains where the doors will not line up when open?

Until the YUS is 100% RedRrocket 7 cars, screen doors cannot be install.

There is a report due late this year on the screen doors.

Cost is about $12m per platform.

Why would you need them if the Yonge line will see 35-45% less riders once the DRL opens?

Why would you need them if the Yonge line will see 35-45% less riders once the DRL opens?
Because they stop people jumping onto the tracks, reducing the number of times a week the subway is shut down, and reducing trauma for operators.

It also prevents people from throwing trash onto the tracks, but I think that's of secondary concern.

Don't get me started about littering, I want them to increase the fine to $5,000 if you get caught littering (which can be paid by "community service" of picking up trash at min. wage if the person cannot pay it). And for those that insist on littering - at least they can pay for some cleanup when caught :eek:

Should the Downtown Relief Line be considered, the TTC should also consider putting in crossover tracks on the Bloor-Danforth subway at Pape station in the east and Dundas West station in the west.

Crossovers would be essential I think, and not building them would be a false economy. In addition to the points you've raised, crossovers could allow for the DRL to function as a loop allowing trains to travel along the B-D should that ever be deemed necessary.

Platform Screen Doors isn't just for safety, there are a lot of other advantages. First, people know where to queue to board the train allowing for much more orderly boarding. Second, the station environment can be much better controlled, creating closed environments - leading to the possibility of heating or cooling of stations.

Back