Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

So when they say "15 year plan", does imply that it would be complete within 15 years? Or that they'd start it in 15 years?

This is definitely a step up from their previous announcement that they would think about it again in 2018. 2018?!

While I don't want to put too much emotional involvement into anything that's decided by the TTC, the city, and provincial governments, it's difficult to not get a bit excited about this. I can't believe things have come this far, even. I had resigned myself to never seeing a new subway line in the city centre.

This is fantastic news, thanks to everyone who made an effort to get this on the agenda.

Yes I hesitate as well.

The other thing to remember is even if everyone falls in love with this plan it's very likely it would take a 15/20 years for this to complete :)

Lest not forget how long it takes to built the subway line in the city.

In the comments section of the Spacing article Rob L suggested the Grand Trunk line as a name. I like it!

My general sense is that there's support at Metrolinx for a DRL, especially since it feels like they're going to concede on the Eglinton Crosstown for LRT. A DRL is very important for the overall success of the regional network, so there's no reason why MX won't be on board if the City pushes for it. And the city's backing was precisely what was lacking before. And now that it's there, there's no reason why MX should deny what may be the most financially feasible (if not profitable) line in the entire RTP.

So when they say "15 year plan", does imply that it would be complete within 15 years? Or that they'd start it in 15 years?
For all intents and purposes, the stuff on the 15-year plan, is what they want to start on now, and what is on the 25-year plan, is stuff that they want to leave for a bit, and think about in 10 years or so.

Great news! Given the DRL is back on the front burner and the high-likelihood of having a Front Street alignment, perhaps it's time to take stock and actually think of a more efficient redesign of the Union (subway) station. Otherwise I can see this being a potential nightmare a la Yonge-Bloor in the future.

AoD

Hell has frozen over...yay! I guess some powers that be have finally realized that proposing alternatives to a subway project that cost vast sums when we could just build the subway project itself makes no sense. Besides, knowing the TTC, the new staircase we'd get at Yonge/Bloor (instead of a new subway line) would still result in poor pedestrian flows.

I imagine a thru-Union alignment would be appealing to the downtown councillors since an alignment further north (especially Queen) would almost assuredly mean the elimination of multiple streetcar routes...a Union/Front alignment supplements these routes. It might threaten King, but King could use some relief since it is a black hole of service during rush hour.

The specific routes it takes south of Bloor/Danforth aren't set in stone - it can run up the rail corridor to Dundas West or it can run up Roncesvalles and either would be great. In the east, however, running to Pape is immensely more useful than any other point. Pape-Union-Dundas West is important...what happens between these three points is less important.

Beyond being the easiest route to construct, I think that running the DRL along Front is exactly what the King streetcar line needs. I don't think it makes the King line irrelevant. In fact I think it will make that line run as it's supposed to – as a line for local traffic as opposed to trying to move masses of commmuters during rush hours. That's what subways and Go Trains are for.

I think we'll see obvious service benefits to King, but all the East/West streetcar lines will benefit from the DRL.

And being shoved in shoulder-to-shoulder on a slower-than-walking streetcar will now feel a little bit better knowing that the end is in sight.

nfitz:

Where have you seen this? I haven't seen any mention of a Front Street alignment since the 1980s?

I wouldn't doubt the EA will look at a range of alternatives, but at the end of the day, there are only so many possible routes and I would be very surprised if it isn't between Front or some other alignment - the realities of the 1980s haven't changed that much. It's only prudent to think of what to do with the subway station given the various initiatives that are about to start in the vicinity.

Personally, I think they should move the subway station a bit further west so that it will be able to take advantage of both GO concourses.

AoD

Last edited:
It now seems that the information submitted to council yesterday that led to these new developments came from Gary Webster, Chief General Manager of the TTC. In his submission to council, he included a report by Karl Junkin which was strongly worded and critical of the lack of foresight at the City, which can be found here:
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/cc/bgrd/ex28.1b.pdf

The excerpt about the DRL:
drlgarywebsterxs3.jpg

The TTC's response simply states that rebuilding Yonge-Bloor will be cheaper and so that's the plan they're sticking with (completely ignoring Karl's calls for a proper analysis of cost-benefit). There's a good chance that some members of council saw the TTC's explanation questionable and have gotten the ball rolling on actually considering the DRL.

Thanks to Darren Buttigieg for doing the research.

Front Street makes MORE sense today than it did 20 years ago. The new high-density development in the city has occurred in former railway lands and former industrial lands along the rail corridor. CityPlace, Liberty Village, Fort York Community, Harbourfront, West Don Lands, Distillery. The line is well suited to serve the planned redevelopment areas of East Bayfront, Portlands, Sterling Road, and Studio District as well.

King might be the optimal corridor, but Front and the rail corridor are only 300m-400m south of that and could mean saving hundreds of millions of dollars in construction costs.

Back