Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

You could get away with an "L" that fell over from Pape to Sunnyside, as a first phase. It would not be the most ideal, but it would probably be more feasible than trying to connect the line back up to Dundas West or Keele.

It should at the very least reach Liberty Village on the west side.

It would do plenty. Lots of people on Danforth trains would transfer at Pape, rapid transit would be expanded to neighbourhoods like Corktown and Riverdale, and downtown streetcar riders would have their commutes improved immensely. Even a short phase 1 of a DRL would be something to celebrate and a huge improvement on what we have now, and this portion is the most essential part. The whole U doesn't have to be built in the first phase.

What I feel it would do is hobble the likelihood of an extension of the line up to Bloor, then further north. The Rob Fords of the world would scream that "downtown already got ANOTHER subway" and "let's not tear up downtown streets AGAIN" and the Tim Hudaks would scream "it's too much money AGAIN" and we would end up with the Pape-St. Andrew stub for a long, long time.

I presume it would be the highest priority line after the $15 billion runs out in 8-10 years. (Honestly there will probably be much more funded before then anyway)

It would do plenty. Lots of people on Danforth trains would transfer at Pape, rapid transit would be expanded to neighbourhoods like Corktown and Riverdale, and downtown streetcar riders would have their commutes improved immensely. Even a short phase 1 of a DRL would be something to celebrate and a huge improvement on what we have now, and this portion is the most essential part. The whole U doesn't have to be built in the first phase.

I disagree. If we are going to do this, it should be done right. There is not justification for a half U line, even Hudak knows this.

What I feel it would do is hobble the likelihood of an extension of the line up to Bloor, then further north. The Rob Fords of the world would scream that "downtown already got ANOTHER subway" and "let's not tear up downtown streets AGAIN" and the Tim Hudaks would scream "it's too much money AGAIN" and we would end up with the Pape-St. Andrew stub for a long, long time.
Exactly. We don't have the best track record of following up our infastructure projects.

I presume it would be the highest priority line after the $15 billion runs out in 8-10 years. (Honestly there will probably be much more funded before then anyway)

Well I would hope so, but it seems like the Liberals still have an uphill battle to get elected outside Toronto.

Last edited:
Even a DRL from Pape to St. Andrew would be a critical step forward. Once the province's purse strings are opened and the shovels are in the ground, it's a lot easier to contemplate expansion.

The Rob Fords and Tim Hudaks of the world haven't been anywhere near the biggest obstacle when it comes to the DRL -- that spot is reserved for downtown politicians. The actions of Chow and Tory in this campaign have also done no favours to the DRL.

I disagree. If we are going to do this, it should be done right. There is not justification for a half U line, even Hudak knows this.

I think the decision has already been made that the DRL will only go up to Pape. This decision was made when the Eglinton line was built in the median through Leslie and the short turn, storage, and cross-over tracks were all placed at Laird.

The Rob Fords and Tim Hudaks of the world haven't been anywhere near the biggest obstacle when it comes to the DRL -- that spot is reserved for downtown politicians. The actions of Chow and Tory in this campaign have also done no favours to the DRL.
You've posted the same song 1000 times, and yet we're supposed to believe you support the DRL.
I think the decision has already been made that the DRL will only go up to Pape. This decision was made when the Eglinton line was built in the median through Leslie and the short turn, storage, and cross-over tracks were all placed at Laird.
The Crosstown can still be buried as LRT or even turned into conventional subway if nothing else. The DRL will go up there, it's a matter of when not if.
Even a DRL from Pape to St. Andrew would be a critical step forward. Once the province's purse strings are opened and the shovels are in the ground, it's a lot easier to contemplate expansion.

Question is why are we even waiting for the province? We should be building this ourselves. Raise taxes and get more done, simple. But Toronto doesn't want to.

If we insist on all or nothing, chances are we're going to get the latter. Sure the whole thing at once would be nice but there's nothing wrong with building it in phases.

Agreed, once the eastern portion is built people west and north will realize what's possible and demand extensions much more than they are now. It would be extended in the future just as the other subway lines have been. The DRL is barely on the average resident's radar now, but once phase 1 is there it becomes front and centre in the public consciousness.

If we insist on all or nothing, chances are we're going to get the latter. Sure the whole thing at once would be nice but there's nothing wrong with building it in phases.

Agreed, once the eastern portion is built people west and north will realize what's possible and demand extensions much more than they are now. It would be extended in the future just as the other subway lines have been. The DRL is barely on the average resident's radar now, but once phase 1 is there it becomes front and centre in the public consciousness.
You have lived here for years. Has phase 2 of sheppard been built yet? We're supposed to have the most transit construction anywhere yet we are only digging holes for Eglinton right now. 10 years for the Bloor Danforth to Sheppard extension. Yes all or nothing.

The West needs the DRL much less but it would be nice to get people off before St George.

You have lived here for years. Has phase 2 of sheppard been built yet? We're supposed to have the most transit construction anywhere yet we are only digging holes for Eglinton right now. 10 years for the Bloor Danforth to Sheppard extension. Yes all or nothing.

The West needs the DRL much less but it would be nice to get people off before St George.
lol...how can you expect to have any credibility when Eglinton is obviously not the only subway construction project right now? All of Toronto's subway lines were built in phases. The Sheppard line is in a suburban area and is relatively underused compared to the other lines, yet extending it has been far higher on the priority list than the DRL until very recently. And it's much further in the design process. My point stands.

"All or nothing" isn't how the world works. If you want to get nothing, demand everything.

lol...how can you expect to have any credibility when Eglinton is obviously not the only subway construction project right now? All of Toronto's subway lines were built in phases. The Sheppard line is in a suburban area and is relatively underused compared to the other lines, yet extending it has been far higher on the priority list than the DRL until very recently. And it's much further in the design process. My point stands.

"All or nothing" isn't how the world works. If you want to get nothing, demand everything.
And were all of the phases completed? Sheppard wasn't, so my point stands too Spadina? That's not even for us that's a political pet project and a joke. Eglinton isn't a subway, it's underground LRT.

Sometime you have to bite the bullet. Plus the fact the whole line is crucially need now, not in 10 years or 5.

Sometime you have to bite the bullet. Plus the fact the whole line is crucially need now, not in 10 years or 5.

The question of whether or not the line will be built as a whole phase or just a single portion (or even at all), rests almost entirely on the provincial government being elected next week.

Remember, the DRL isn't needed for another 15ish years.The signal upgrades on Yonge will deal with capacity issues until then.

Back