Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

i think most people living in Toronto at the time understood the 5 year pain of having their main street torn up was for everyone’s benefit.
And I'm sure there were also people who complained endlessly about even the slightest inconvenience just like today.

There was actually a song written about how much construction on Yonge Street sucked, lol:

And I'm sure there were also people who complained endlessly about even the slightest inconvenience just like today.

There was actually a song written about how much construction on Yonge Street sucked, lol:
Well unlike now, back then they didn't do endless studies on the same idea nor did they oblige themselves to bend over to every single minority fringe lobbyist to maintain political correctness

No they did not bend over to every single minority, but maybe they should have at least listened some more. Maybe we could have gotten second entrances and elevators instead of leaving us with barebones stations that needed to be dug up a few decades later to retrofit for accessibility.

Actually, there WAS at least one alteration to the original plans:

The Yonge line was initially to be cut and cover from Front Street up to north of College (Alexander Street), after which the line would jog approximately 150 feet east of Yonge Street and proceed north in an “open cut”. The line would be open to the air, although below the general height of land, passing beneath a number of bridges carrying the cross streets. However, this would have required a large number of houses and buildings to be demolished, and it was feared that the resulting trench might have reduced the nearby property values. As a result, it was decided that cut and cover would be continued as far north as Davenport.

Last edited:
No they did not bend over to every single minority, but maybe they should have at least listened some more. Maybe we could have gotten second entrances and elevators instead of leaving us with barebones stations that needed to be dug up a few decades later to retrofit for accessibility.

Actually, there WAS at least one alteration to the original plans:
There are now sections of FORMALLY "open cut" that were covered over, south of St. Clair Station to Summerhill Station.

There are now sections of FORMALLY "open cut" that were covered over, south of St. Clair Station to Summerhill Station.

9111-s0381fl0271id11271-25-500x398.png

For those curious this pic shows the cross over just south of St. Clair: https://www.toronto.ca/explore-enjo...nto/canadas-first-subway-construction-begins/

Well unlike now, back then they didn't do endless studies on the same idea nor did they oblige themselves to bend over to every single minority fringe lobbyist to maintain political correctness
That's a nice thought. Not true, but nice.

It took them over 40 years from the original idea of the subway until they actually opened it.

Dan

We are heading for 130 years for the one along Queen.

subway-5101-01.gif

From link.

Horatio C. Hocken, made the underground issue the main plank of his campaign to become Toronto's mayor in 1910. On the same ballot, voters were asked: "Are you in favour of the City of Toronto applying to the legislature for power to construct and operate a municipal system of subway and surface street railway, subject to the approval of qualified ratepayers?" The results of the vote, which was held on January 1st, 1910 (at the time, and until the middle part of the century, municipal elections and associated referendums were held every year, on New Year's Day), were favourable, with voters supporting the proposal by a count of 19,268 to 10,697. However, the mayoralty was won not by Hocken but by George R. Geary, who had opposed subways due to their expense.

subway-5101-01.gif

From link.
Just to add some context for why the plans of the 1910's fell though; it was partially politics but also ironically the creation of the TTC itself. These plans came about because the City of Toronto had become angered by the deteriorating service and stubbornness of the Toronto Railway Company in the latter years of its operating charter. The subway plan was essentially a back door way to get around the TRC and expand streetcar service along Yonge, Queen, and eventually Bloor. Once the TRC's operating charter ended in 1921 the city took control of its streetcar network and could now make the changes and expansions it had wanted to make during the TRC era, and so with this there was no longer a need for the streetcar subways. Of course as the years went on and ridership continued to grow along Yonge Street a subway would eventually be built.

So in other words what Verster is saying is that, we thought we were having fun with the Crosstown construction mess and delays but just wait and see how bad it's going to get with the Ontario Line construction. Got it loud and clear Phil!
Honestly, if anyone thought it was going to be anything but that reflects more on them than it does on Metrolinx. Fool me twice, shame on me, and all that.

The line is supposed to be opened in 8 years and we've seen precious little in the way of construction works so far. A quasi competent entity managing the project might just get it done, but with Metrolinx? I'm calling it right now, no earlier than 2035.

Honestly, if anyone thought it was going to be anything but that reflects more on them than it does on Metrolinx. Fool me twice, shame on me, and all that.

The line is supposed to be opened in 8 years and we've seen precious little in the way of construction works so far. A quasi competent entity managing the project might just get it done, but with Metrolinx? I'm calling it right now, no earlier than 2035.
The tone of his tweets is already setting up a narrative of disappointment...

Back