Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Now to follow up on this:

I have made inquiries.

While I have yet to ascertain exactly where the work will take place.........

I have found out that, Hudson's Bay company has not one, but two sub-basement levels under the lowest retail level.

It would be my impression (but I have not confirmed) that Mx is looking at going into and out of its work area via the lowest sub-basement level of HBC.

Permit:

1645646064079.png

Yes but the context here is Exhibition which will see trains every 12 minutes (although, this is the first time I'm seeing the super express between Union and Burlington? Where did that come from?)

View attachment 380774
This is just a concept, its still subject to substantial change at any give location. At least if platforms are on all tracks that should be taken as a sign of reasonable thinking that a major hub should have all trains stop

Why would LIM cause clearance issues? Arent LIM trains typically shorter than “normal” subway cars due the the LIM trains not needing large bulky motors?

Clearance under the train between the reaction rail and the LIM in snow.
The LIM is just about 1 cm above the reaction rail (for the magnetic forces to work) and snow and ice clog it up.

Last edited:
Reading the presentation page for the last public meeting on this, someone was asking whether Metrolinx was developing above the Ontario Line maintenance yard (which I've never heard any talk of). I'm not sure if this is the place for post, but it made me think about the Don Yard of GO and the OL tunnel portal. The recent CreateTO presentation also mentioned decking over the TTC's Davisville yard, so conversations are there.

Don Yard seems high potential spot for air rights density, and if the developer is moving ahead with rail deck park over the Spadina Yard, it sets a precedent.

Reading the presentation page for the last public meeting on this, someone was asking whether Metrolinx was developing above the Ontario Line maintenance yard (which I've never heard any talk of). I'm not sure if this is the place for post, but it made me think about the Don Yard of GO and the OL tunnel portal. The recent CreateTO presentation also mentioned decking over the TTC's Davisville yard, so conversations are there.

Don Yard seems high potential spot for air rights density, and if the developer is moving ahead with rail deck park over the Spadina Yard, it sets a precedent.
im 99% sure during the rail deck reset presentation the presenters said they actually own the air rights to the entirety of the rail corridor over to the east including the don yard.
i could be wrong but, if it would its gotta be at least 30 years off to even think about

If the OL yard were to be built over, it would be in a trench like Davisville, so I doubt it, though not impossible to build over it at grade.

Member motion for the March 9th meeting of City Council concerns the O/L:

1646404644461.png

Full text w/additional material here: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2022.MM41.16

Before anyone harps on the undergrounding request.......... there is some additional concern raised here that certainly merits a serious response from Mx

They (Mx) are apparently asking the City for special access to the rail corridor in 14 locations, in service not only of its expansion of raising the rail bridge heights etc.

A fair question being asked is how this would impact pedestrians/cyclists/transit/traffic if all this work is going on at the same time.

The bridges pass over active streetcar tracks etc.

We're, of course, already seeing huge impacts w/the portion that is underground (total closure of a section of Queen Street, including to streetcars) so its not a given that all the disruption would avoided by undergrounding.
But its a fair question as whether the City can withstand the total level of disruption Mx is contemplating, irrespective of of whether the new line is above or below grade.

Before anyone harps on the undergrounding request.......... there is some additional concern raised here that certainly merits a serious response from Mx
Then why doesn’t the member motion place the pedestrian/cyclist/phasing concern front-and-centre instead of highlighting undergrounding? Especially, as you've correctly noted - undergrounding in the core has a ton of disruptions as well.

I’d certainly be a lot more sympathetic to the member motion.

Yes but the context here is Exhibition which will see trains every 12 minutes (although, this is the first time I'm seeing the super express between Union and Burlington? Where did that come from?)

View attachment 380774

This is also dated - the Kitchener Line will thankfully have better service west of Bramalea, and the Barrie Line service will also differ.

I was wondering what was happening there - it didn't even occur to me that it would already be for the OL.

Back